Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2015, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

I think I hate "photographers"

Last edited by MyInkIsMyArt; 08-20-2015 at 07:43 AM.
08-14-2015, 02:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Man with a big camera has a ...
08-14-2015, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You can find narcissists in many artistic fields, MyLinkIsMyArt ... but they're not the only personality type. :-)

I never know what to say when a friend asks what I think of their painting or poem or whatever

Last edited by clackers; 08-14-2015 at 02:47 AM.
08-14-2015, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's always a little awkward when someone starts talking to you about their photography and gear and their actual images aren't that great. Overly pushy people are tedious, whatever walk of life you come across them. I don't hate them in particular, but I find it a little tragic. As in, if someone is doing poorly but they are at the limits of what their apparatus can possibly deliver then I can understand, sympathise. But if someone is doing poorly with the best possible equipment then I tend to just feel a bit sorry for them. I respect photographers who do great work with average eq more than I respect photographers that do great work with great equipment.

08-14-2015, 02:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

I guess the only solution (not politically correct, but hey, it's political correctness what is ruining our world...) is to deliver him quite open your mind about his photography. If it's crap, just call it crap. That might open his eyes and if nothing else, your frustration could rinse out at least a litte.... :-)
08-14-2015, 02:42 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very few people are truly self aware.

It is hard to judge your own work (in this case photographs) if you avoid criticism.

Many people believe that good photographs are made from gear (camera bodies and lenses) and don't understand that it is actually mostly skill and vision.

Most of us start somewhere as photographers and that place isn't usually one of skill or awesome images. Over time, we grow if we make effort. It sounds like the man you were speaking with tried to skip that process by buying expensive gear. He probably has a lot of issues that are unrelated to photography and is a jerk in plenty of other areas of his life too. It is no wonder with his personality that people are afraid to tell him what they really think of his photos.
08-14-2015, 03:00 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I feel you were too much nice to him!
I can't stand it to that extend.

08-14-2015, 03:36 AM   #8

Just tell him like it is ridicule his examples of better work he will soon dissapear hopefully a bit wiser
08-14-2015, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

I know what you are talking about.
The problem is that in photography, success often comes by being pushy. Not by making good photos, but by convincing people that you make good photos, by behaving as if you make good photos. If you are meek, you can take some really great photos, and few people will notice, and fewer people will financially reward.
08-14-2015, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by whatsthisbuttondo Quote
Just tell him like it is ridicule his examples of better work he will soon dissapear hopefully a bit wiser
I don't know that I would resort to ridicule. It would be pretty gratifying to point out compositional and post processing errors in his work and use your own photos to demonstrate how things could be done better, but that probably would be treating him in the same vein that he has treated you.

Probably better to just blandly say "very nice," and let it go. No sense engendering bad feelings over someone else's poor perception of their own photography.

Edit: I think I missed the part where he was making comments on photos on Facebook. A lot would depend on whether you want to preserve some sort of relationship. Certainly the easiest thing would be to make critical (but constructive comments) on multiple of his photos. A couple of days of that would certainly fix the situation. Probably the less inflammatory thing to do would be to block/unfriend him.

Last edited by Rondec; 08-14-2015 at 05:51 AM.
08-14-2015, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm with Zzeitg here... if you think his photography sucks just tell him. Just be prepared to back up your claim with straight forward, no nonsense type of arguments.
08-14-2015, 04:00 AM - 5 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Block him on Facebook... You don't need that and if you actually happen to come across him again in real life and he questions it, tell it to him straight.
08-14-2015, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I love sailing and golfing, yet hate sailors and golfers with a passion
08-14-2015, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Block his Facebook access and ignore him.
08-14-2015, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I know what you are talking about.
The problem is that in photography, success often comes by being pushy. Not by making good photos, but by convincing people that you make good photos, by behaving as if you make good photos. If you are meek, you can take some really great photos, and few people will notice, and fewer people will financially reward.
I absolutely agree. I see so many people that proclaim to be professional photographers and their pictures are crap. Not much can be done to change that and I don't plan to be one of them. The one value of having albums like fickr is I can look at them and see how my photography has evolved over time. I know I have some good shots and some that aren't good, but I know I have gotten better and for now that is enough for me. Doesn't stop me from me irritated at the ones that proclaim how good they are. I am human