Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ever Wonder Why the Milky Way Rotates Across the Sky?

So, have you ever wondered why the Milky Way comes up parallel to the horizon and then rotates vertical in the sky at night? Well the reason is that the Solar System is not native to the Milky Way galaxy - we are aliens. Our home galaxy is Sagittarius.

QuoteQuote:
The fact that the Milky Way is seen in the sky at an angle has always puzzled astronomers. If we originated from the Milky Way, we ought to be oriented to the galaxy's ecliptic, with the planets aligned around our Sun in much the same angle as our Sun aligns with the Milky Way. Instead, as first suggested by researcher Matthew Perkins Erwin, the odd angle suggests that our Sun is influenced by some other system. Together with data from the Two-Micron All Sky Survey we now know what it is. We actually belong to the Sagittarius Dwarf galaxy.
If it were not for the Milky Way's kidnapping us, we would not have the wide variety of Milky Way orientations in our night sky - and the images that we are able to capture.

08-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

interesting......up to last year it never occurred to me to look up for it or for dark skies to see it let alone the smallest notion to even take a picture of it.........which really got me into photography......this chase really made me learn how to start using a camera instead of just taking pictures
08-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be afraid to hear where Uranus came from then, with its 84° tilt relative to the sun!
08-19-2015, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That article is not good science. If you read the whole thing, inconsistencies are obvious. Here it is debunked: Is the Sun from another galaxy? - Bad Astronomy : Bad Astronomy .

08-20-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stupid me. And I always thought if your didn't have the centrifugal force of our speed, we would be pulled in by the gravity of the galaxy's black hole and be sucked in becoming part of the super massive black hole. All the physicists and astronomers have told us rubbish to stay in their jobs.
08-20-2015, 01:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is the Sun from another galaxy? - Bad Astronomy : Bad Astronomy
08-20-2015, 02:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Stupid me. And I always thought if your didn't have the centrifugal force of our speed, we would be pulled in by the gravity of the galaxy's black hole and be sucked in becoming part of the super massive black hole. All the physicists and astronomers have told us rubbish to stay in their jobs.
There's no centrifugal force.

There is a centripetal force of gravity from the sun on the earth, but it just keeps reining us in from flying off at a tangent into space.

08-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There is a centripetal force of gravity from the sun on the earth...
So it's the Sun that creates our gravity and not the mass of the Earth's core?
08-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, effectively.

All forces occur in pairs, though.

Gravity pulls you Tuco towards the centre of the earth but the floorboards exactly match that force upwards so you don't go anywhere. :-)

The moon circling us exerts the same force on us which results in sea tides, for example.

Last edited by clackers; 08-20-2015 at 01:24 PM.
08-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes, effectively.

All forces occur in pairs, though.

Gravity pulls you Tuco towards the centre of the earth but the floorboards exactly match that force upwards so you don't go anywhere. :-)

The moon circling us exerts the same force on us which results in sea tides, for example.
Yes, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering Worked many dynamic problems with this "centripetal force". If the Sun pulled on us more than the Earth, we wouldn't be on it.
08-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Yes, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering
Then you should know better than to ask "So it's the Sun that creates our gravity and not the mass of the Earth's core?"!

Hope you enjoyed the bad astronomy in the OP as much as I did.
08-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Then you should know better than to ask "So it's the Sun that creates our gravity and not the mass of the Earth's core?"!
I'm still at a lose to how our Sun directly keeps me glued to our planet if that is what you are saying. I meant it as an honest question. I can't say I know everything about the matters of the universe.
08-20-2015, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a centripetal force of gravity from the sun on the earth, but it just keeps reining us in from flying off at a tangent into space.
I think (?maybe?) Tuco misunderstood the "us" to mean:

"The sun's gravity is keeping us, the people of earth, from flying off the planet earth, into space and dying a chilly death in the discomfort of a vacuum,"

when you were meaning:

"The sun's gravity is keeping us, the planet earth, from flying out of its orbit of the sun and into the space outside our solar system, so we all die a chilly death in the discomfort of out own homes."

Neither of which would be a great thing to happen on a Thursday evening with the weekend so close. So let's all take a moment to thank the sun and the earth for their tireless work in preventing these terrors.

Last edited by BrianR; 08-20-2015 at 07:42 PM.
08-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I think (?maybe?) Tuco misunderstood the "us" to mean:

"The sun's gravity is keeping us, the people of earth, from flying off the planet earth, into space and dying a chilly death in the discomfort of a vacuum,"

when you were meaning:

"The sun's gravity is keeping us, the planet earth, from flying out of its orbit of the sun and into the space outside our solar system, so we all die a chilly death in the discomfort of out own homes."

Neither of which would be a great thing to happen on a Thursday evening with the weekend so close. So let's all take a moment to thank the sun and the earth for their tireless work in preventing these terrors.
Indeed ... Tuco, sorry about the confusion (I'm also mostly an engineer by training), and Brian, as always, thanks for the translation and the accompanying existential crisis. ☺