Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hank Quote
Yes, all the time actually.
With a few caveat, naturally- first I put the strap around their neck, so I'm ensure that if they let go of the camera that it's not going anywhere, then I give them a really quick lesson on how the camera is configured (look though the diopter, how to adjust the diopter, and how the focus is setup).
Then I relax, and enjoy being in the shot.

But! This is me and my wife, we're cool with it.
_If_ you don't feel good about handing over the camera, then don't.
No one is going to feel bad about you saying no.
I have done it a few times, usually at my request and making sure they use the wrist strap. But if is someone I am not comfortable with and I've already said no, then that's the end of the conversation. If they keep asking what ever they are asking about, their talking to themselves. I have no further need to reply.

08-23-2015, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Jenne Quote
To clarify, I'm shooting a show, so I'm generally the only one there with a DSLR camera.
That's their problem, not yours. You're already doing them a favor by being there.
08-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you have a tripod and a remote? That's clearly the smoothest solution.
08-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would simply look into insurance and pass along what it costs to the guy in charge and ask him to foot the bill or take responsibility for damages. If he won't then p&s seems reasonable. Alternately put a simple AF lens on the camera put it in green mode and put the strap over his or her neck and hope for the best.

Recently I had to hand my new k3 to a friend with Parkinson's. It was scary at times but he was in such joy I couldn't say no. My body doesn't have a strap on it btw.

08-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

To clarify, I'm shooting a show, so I'm generally the only one there with a DSLR camera.
I find that the results are often terrible when I had my SLR to someone who doesn't know how to use an SLR. In fact, they're not always good if that person has used an SLR. When someone hands me a Canon, I don't know how to make the adjustments quickly. If everything is set up perfectly, then it's no issue, but most people hand it over with poor settings for the situation.

People are assuming that better camera = better photos. From a sharpness and clarity perspective, that will be right, but if someone doesn't know how to work the thing, it'll be misframed, out of focus--much worse than if they had just used a cellphone, as bad as that is.

In fact, this is how I would explain why you don't want to give the camera to someone. If you say that it usually doesn't come out well, it defeats the point of using the camera.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 08-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
08-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is kind of like letting someone else use your computer, it is like giving someone a rubix cube and watch them attempt to solve it, when you already know the solution in less than five moves.

Fortunately everyone in my family have a good knowledge of photography, and know how to handle most cameras.
08-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife or my daughter may use my cameras, otherwise - just no.
Which reminds me of the old saying about never lending out your gun, your car or your significant other! It should probably include camera too!

08-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am very uncomfortable with this and tell him so.
If you were wishy-washy in how you've told him in the past, repeat it in no uncertain terms. You're 100% in the right here. It's your equipment that you've brought to a volunteer gig, you don't have to hand it off if you're uncomfortable and you shouldn't have to put up with his repeated requests. Best case is he'll understand, relent, and everyone can go about their business.

The worst that will happen with firmly insisting he stop the requests is he'll be rude and dismissive. You'll get a sinking feeling in your stomach, but this will pass. You'll find a new place to volunteer with, one that respects you as a volunteer. And you'll have more self-respect for standing up for yourself no matter the outcome.

A volunteer's time is a precious gift, don't waste it someplace that makes you uncomfortable if they aren't willing to work with your personal boundaries.
08-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've never let anyone touch my gear before, no way! I am paranoid.
08-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a lifetime of photos of the four other members of my family and that's OK with me.
08-23-2015, 09:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Take a tripod and IR remote, you do it, the pushy person gets a group photo.
that's what I'd do. You'll get much better results that way, and no one else is messing with your stuff.

But really, it's a 24mm lens -- just set the camera to F8, focus at about 12 feet, and tell him not to mess with anything, and the photos should be perfectly usable - there's no excuse for that if you set it up properly, unless the lighting sucks so bad that the shutter speed can't overcome shaky hands or something. He doesn't have to focus it, everything more than 6 feet away from him (and with a group photo I'm hoping everyone's more than 6 feet away) is going to be in focus anyway.
08-23-2015, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

The problem arises if they drop it, not if they mis-focus.
If they drop it - one thing is for sure - they will somehow become the victim and you will end up out of pocket.
08-23-2015, 11:27 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WildBikerBill Quote
That's their problem, not yours. You're already doing them a favor by being there.
Exactly. You're a volunteer, doing whoever this 'boss' is a favor. He doesn't get to order you to hand off your equipment to a person who hasn't the slightest clue how to use it.

"This one is all manual. Here's an automatic one," would work, handing over the P&S. Even then, the pics are not likely to be much good, so it's a puzzle why this person insists on a non-photographer taking the group picture. The photographer normally doesn't appear. In my experience, non-photographers often center people's heads in the photo, leaving lots of blank space over them and not much below, looking rather odd and bad snap-shottish. One wonders why boss wants such poor photos if boss has seen the results so far?
08-24-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure the boss wants you in the pictures to remember your contribution, but thinks "a Camera is a Camera". The P&S hand off is a great way to avoid giving up your good camera and increasing the likelihood of a good group shot taken by a novice.

After all, shouldn't the photographer be identified in the group photo by being the one holding a camera?
08-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
The problem arises if they drop it, not if they mis-focus.
If they drop it - one thing is for sure - they will somehow become the victim and you will end up out of pocket.
The photos taken by the other person are not usable-- I shoot all manual with a manual focus lens.)
I don't really understand the paranoia about someone dropping your camera. Are they expecting you to hand it off to a small child or an elderly person who's lost their grip strength? You're handing it to the person, joining the group you just took a photo of, so your camera should already be set up perfectly fine to photograph a group, they should be snapping a single shot and then handing the camera back to you... when are they going to drop it?

But again - an $8 IR remote (it doesn't have to be the pentax brand) and a tripod, and you can take the photo yourself without handing it off to anyone, and still being the shot. You can resolve the problem very easily, without having to buy a second camera or risking the hands of Butterfingers McDroppinstuff.