Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

SD cards question

I am shooting with a K3 which has two card slots (that's how I have it set up).

I am using 2x Class 10 Sandisk 32GB 30MBS Ultra cards...

Now when I get out shooting for my first 4 or 5 GB everything works great, but once I get 5 or 6 GB onto a card it seems like the write speed slows down quite a bit.

The camera is brand new, the buffer on the camera works great and it's recording everything just fine but I am wondering why it slows down so much when only 25% of the card is in use.

I don't usually shoot massive amounts of photos so usually it's not a problem, but the other day I went flying with a friend and it came up as I was taking photos as we did some low passes....

I wasn't shooting on burst mode, but I was being relatively aggressive with the shutter. Even then though it wasn't THAT much. It just seems that as the card gets full it slows down to where it's noticeable.

08-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you formatted the cards in the camera recently?
Never noticed this myself but I format the cards every time I put them back in the camera.
08-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Have you formatted the cards in the camera recently?
Never noticed this myself but I format the cards every time I put them back in the camera.
I do the quick format thing from time to time...I guess I could try to do the full blown format...
08-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used a 30 mbs card just like you before. Until I swapped over to 95 mbs cards just a few days ago, the difference between the two were quite substantial.

08-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I do the quick format thing from time to time...I guess I could try to do the full blown format...

That may be part of your problem. There is no quick or full options when formatting in camera. You either format or not. Quick or Full are PC options.
08-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
There is no quick or full options when formatting in camera. You either format or not.

OK Yoda. I will give it a try

---------- Post added 08-23-15 at 10:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I used a 30 mbs card just like you before. Until I swapped over to 95 mbs cards just a few days ago, the difference between the two were quite substantial.

Normally I don't take that many photos but it has come up a couple times when I had heavier use.That said I would rather err on the side of caution. I might try some of those cards at some point.
08-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The side of caution? It's not like better quality, faster cards have a higher error rate.

08-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
The side of caution?
I meant that I would rather not get out somewhere when I *need* to capture a picture and have things messing up.

So even if my cards all work fine now, I still might upgrade them just to make sure.

That said I also want to make sure there isn't something else that I can do first.
08-23-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Do you have the battery grip for the K3? There's a slot in there for a spare card in case something goes bad.
08-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have a look into formatting your cards with the official SD card association utility:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

This helped a card I was using with a mini video camera - the camera would stop recording after 4 minutes. After formatting with this, no more problems.
08-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Somewhat unrelated, but FYI you'll be able to get noticeably faster write speeds with Extreme cards. Those Ultra cards are only rated for 10 Mb/s write speeds, whereas the K-3 supports upwards of 40.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
This. The extreme pro cards are very quick.

Make sure you purchase from a reputable vendor. There are lots of fake sandisk cards out there that don't perform well.