Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Gripe & Rant

Arg. I'm frustrated. I already don't expect anyone to purchase my photos but what bugs me is the general rudeness of people who I give photos to for free. I have given images to a reporter (town news paper), a team coach and a parent. Non have responded in any fashion, no thank you, no acknowledgement, nothing. Is it now normal to not reply even in the smallest, simplest way?

Maybe I just suck, you tell me. Here are some snap-shots, nothing I plan to publicizes (normally): https://flic.kr/s/aHskiZ7WKA

Basically my photography goes on my wall for my own appreciation - or share with my fellow Pentaxians here

Sigh...

09-02-2015, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A general sign of our times, I'm afraid. No one is taught values. You're experiencing the decline of western civilization.
09-02-2015, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Well Klaus, that's a great photo you have posted here. So I would be very surprised if your work sucks.

Don't bother yourself with what the mean-spirited and ill-mannered think and do. Just do your stuff.
09-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Don't bother yourself with what the mean-spirited and ill-mannered think and do. Just do your stuff.
Agreed with that. I shoot for myself and it doesn't matter to me whether some people don't like my photos because I do. And I'm the one that matters...period.

09-03-2015, 12:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Your photos don't suck..! We do..!!

Lately I have found myself to be too busy/committed to be polite...
A sad indictment on our 'modern' age

So I have adopted a new mantra...'Be nice to everyone !' and I mentally repeat it every time I make eye contact....

Some of the people you see each day will feel just like me..
Keep being positive and engaged..it will work..!
09-03-2015, 02:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The people I've given photos to have thanked me, so I think you're well within your rights to be irritated.
09-03-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just to be devil's advocate and knowing nothing of the details of the OP's exchange (especially if they were solicited or not), I know I'm always uncomfortable if someone gives me something I don't really want. It's even worse if it's something they're obviously excited about and I'm not.

Still, a simple thank you email is pretty much a required response. A total lack of acknowledgement is just plain rude.

09-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
Non have responded in any fashion, no thank you, no acknowledgement, nothing. Is it now normal to not reply even in the smallest, simplest way?
:-) That's normal. Information overload, everything from normal to extraordinary is taken for granted, every one of is force-fed by consumerism to prevent the saturating economy from collapsing. In "developed" zones such as Japan, Europe and US, economies are saturating, people don't need most of what they have and suffocating to keep the saturating system running on the edge of collapse. Today, a lot of people have a smart phone that contain more computing power than a 1968 space shuttle, but they don't care, what require billions of $ of investments, is cheap and taken for granted. Dude, do yourself a favor, go to the country side of a poor country and you'll see how people enjoy simple things.
09-03-2015, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #9

You just got me started. I made the exactly same experience.

In past days, not everyone had a camera. It was something special to have both the gear and the knowledge to be able to take pictures and therefore, people were grateful. I really miss those times where you took a picture with your SLR, later gave it to someone and people were crazily happy about it and put it on the wall and kept it there forever.

Nowadays, everyone has at least a smartphone and most people have point&shoot cameras. Taking pictures is no longer anything that's considered "work" or "art" especially since 99% of people use auto exposure. Pictures aren't kept as memories, they are gathered.

Average Joe thinks that the effort for you was in pressing a button. He isn't aware that you actually had to know your shit and select a decent composition and exposure and also invest some time in PP. He thinks the only reason that his pictures suck compared to yours is that you shelled out more money for an expensive camera.

My experience is that people with no knowledge about photography usually are not grateful at all. They more or less expect you to give them pictures for free. If you take some time for PP they will sometimes even be pissed because it "can't take so long to download those from your camera". I even had one case where I was on vacation with someone and took some HDRs and later got scolded because I "copy&pasted some other sky". In other cases I was accused of using a "shitty camera" because the "background is blurry". Yeah, and what's always happening is that you get shafted because the pictures you took are "too large".

People that know at least the basics of photography are a totally different story, though.

Anyways, my strategy is the following: Whenever there is a chance some "bystander" wants to have a copy of some image, I quickly take a few jpeg shots in green mode - no composition, subject centered in frame, maximum DOF, no PP, lowest resolution. That's for them and it exactly meets their expectations.
09-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

To my way of thinking, there's no excuse for at least saying, "Thank you"...even if an outlet gets hundreds of submissions.
09-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

With the proliferation of cell phone cameras, people generally don't need photos other than their own, let alone photos taken by 'strangers' especially involving children. A 'non response' sometimes means 'thanks-but-no-thanks' for all the work; there is no difference than a like in FB, doesn't mean that it is great, it just a 'lip' service.

Instead of ranting, it will likely do yourself more good to find out - "what do I like about my photos and how do I improve upon it, if any".

Shots involving people is a very touchy subject especially when they are of non flattering nature....

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-03-2015 at 07:59 AM.
09-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I don't give away pictures anymore, at least not prints. anything that fits within 1080 by 1080 I'll send. But if it's going to cost me money, it's not going to happen.
09-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

You could just as easily name this thread the Ugly Receiver. Common practice in today's world, where all that seems to matter is "Me!"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/296979-ugly-posters-you-one.html

Regards!
09-03-2015, 08:01 AM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiberkli Quote
Arg. I'm frustrated. I already don't expect anyone to purchase my photos but what bugs me is the general rudeness of people who I give photos to for free. I have given images to a reporter (town news paper), a team coach and a parent. Non have responded in any fashion, no thank you, no acknowledgement, nothing. Is it now normal to not reply even in the smallest, simplest way?
I'm curious, did you personally hand these prints to the people, mail them? Regardless, there is no excuse for not acknowledging the photo(s). While a nice gesture, I personally wouldn't give any photos to people, unless they specifically request it. Then it's up to you whether it's free, or a charge.
09-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I sent some decent shots of some Boeing guys flying toy quads at the park across the street - they thanked me. I sent some (not great) shots of a sand castle person - he thanked me. I sent a bunch of pix to a performer at a renaissance festival, and to a cover band - no response, though I'm sure those are handled by some general employee, not the individuals.