Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2015, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax got a nice compliment!

A couple months ago I attended the Polocrosse World Cup here in South Africa, and took photos of all the games leading to the final game.

Shortly afterwards I received the following Facebook message from someone, whose daughter was at the games as well. I was so proud to be a Pentaxian! (Click here to get an idea of the photos I was taking).

Attached Images

09-07-2015, 04:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The query was borderline insulting, as the quality of your photos were no doubt more a testament to your skills than your gear.

Still, it's nice to put the brand out there
09-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
A couple months ago I attended the Polocrosse World Cup here in South Africa, and took photos of all the games leading to the final game.

Shortly afterwards I received the following Facebook message from someone, whose daughter was at the games as well. I was so proud to be a Pentaxian! (Click here to get an idea of the photos I was taking).
Congratulations! Those colourful shots are well timed and very crisp.

By the way, I looked at the photos first before reading the FB messages. As I was looking at the photos, I was thinking that you were probably shooting with a K3II given the need for an AF that can keep up with fast moving subjects. What a surprise to find out that you were using a K5II! It just delivered so magnificently in the hands of a skillful photographer!

Last edited by chmance; 09-07-2015 at 04:36 AM. Reason: grammar
09-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #4

The question was evidently coming from someone who equates good photos with equipment only, without regard to the photographer's skill. Quite common line of thinking...

09-07-2015, 05:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very common! How often do we have someone take a glance at our images only to say ... 'that looks amazing .... you must have a really expensive camera...!' ? .....

Or the other one .... 'gosh, did you do a lot of changes on the computer ... ?'
09-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Very common! How often do we have someone take a glance at our images only to say ... 'that looks amazing .... you must have a really expensive camera...!' ? .....

Or the other one .... 'gosh, did you do a lot of changes on the computer ... ?'

I don't know, camera manufacturers go out of their way to get their cameras to render images nicely. Even in the days of film you could tell the difference between a point-and-shoot and a SLR. Photographers are going out of business these days, because anybody with a nice camera can take great pictures if they know what they are doing.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 09-07-2015 at 12:08 PM.
09-07-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The query was borderline insulting, as the quality of your photos were no doubt more a testament to your skills than your gear.
I usually just take that kind of a compliment as an indication of a person's lack of knowledge of photography. But there is at least some truth to the comment. Nicer cameras and lenses do let you get a better result (as long as you know how to use them).

For example, I can always shoot a portrait with my K-30 and Sigma 85mm 1.4 that gets compliments. But if I try to use my cell phone or an average P&S camera in the same exact circumstances, the picture will usually not be anything special. Same thing with using a DSLR with clean high-ISO and an advanced AF system with a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens at a sporting event compared to using a regular consumer superzoom camera.

Of course, the average person wouldn't know how to use the DSLR, but still...

09-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I don't know, camera manufacturers go out of their way to get their cameras to render images nicely. Even in the days of film you could tell the difference between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR. Photographers are going out of business these days, because anybody with a nice camera can take great pictures if they know what they are doing.
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Nicer cameras and lenses do let you get a better result (as long as you know how to use them).
Not sure what is meant by these two comments. In the days of film there were no DSLRs. Throughout the 20th century photographers went out of business if they could not produce better work than snapshooters. Anybody who knew what they were doing could usually get decent results in any period of photography regardless of the equipment they had. The latest gear at any time could often make shooting certain types of photos easier for the accomplished photographer but an unsophisticated snapshooter could always louse up most of his attempts easily regardless of the price paid for cameras and lenses.
09-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Not sure what is meant by these two comments. In the days of film there were no DSLRs. Throughout the 20th century photographers went out of business if they could not produce better work than snapshooters.
Sorry, but I stand by my original statement. For decades, at least, professional photographers have spent money on better cameras and lenses...even in film days.

If you don't think nicer cameras and lenses allow better results, then I don't know what to say, since that goes against all of my experiences in photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
The latest gear at any time could often make shooting certain types of photos easier for the accomplished photographer but an unsophisticated snapshooter could always louse up most of his attempts easily regardless of the price paid for cameras and lenses.
And jumping in a race car won't allow the average person to win the Indy 500. So what? I already said that my comments were contingent on somebody knowing how to use a DSLR. But that's not exactly an insurmountable obstacle for most people, if they care to spend the money and try to learn.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-07-2015 at 10:15 AM.
09-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My statements were based on my photographic retail experience many years ago and discussing photography in general with folks lately
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
But that's not exactly an insurmountable obstacle for most people, if they care to spend the money and try to learn.
. Again, the latest equipment in any era could make better results easier to achieve in the hands of professionals and any careful photographer but by no means ensured success in the hands of most people. I have watched a relatively large number of customers drop large sums on the latest advertised gear and continue to make the same mistakes as a casual snapshooter with a very simple point and shoot. They wound up with status for their money but did not take the time to learn more about photography. Those who do actually learn find they can save their money until they have an actual need for newer things and can continue using older gear. Witness the photos posted here with dated cameras and lenses. Fact is, you may know how to use more sophisticated equipment but outside of forums like this and the professional community, most people will never learn much more. Ever ask new car owners, appliance or TV buyers if they actually read their manual?
09-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I made it clear I'm not talking about a total neophyte picking up the latest full-frame camera and a 5-figure sport lens, so you're arguing against something I didn't say.

Of course you can get amazing photos with an older camera. But there's a reason that some very good amateur photographers spend a lot of money buying better bodies and lenses.
09-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What I was saying before was really about the tendency of the ignorant to misunderstand the mix of equipment tailored to the job plus the skills and knowledge to take advantage of it. The ignorant tendency is to forget the skill and knowledge aspect and treat it like any other electronic device. ....ie the more expensive the better the outcome.

Of course we all all know that photography is not that simple. The gear is a component of the whole .... An important one of course. I don't ascribe to those suggestions you hear sometimes about giving a Box Brownie to a great photographer and they'll come back with great pictures ... That's rubbish. If there's no light or the situation is beyond the technology then it makes no difference who it is.
09-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
The question was evidently coming from someone who equates good photos with equipment only, without regard to the photographer's skill. Quite common line of thinking...
Absolutely. From what I saw in your other post, you have talent that is developing quickly. I would take this as the complement it was intended to be.
09-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Oh for heaven's sake, surely we have more than enough threads on this forum whining about the lack of Pentax's public visibility and perception as a quality system that we should take praise of it when it's given?

While smartalecks with Nikon and Canon and Sony gear who turn out good shots preen and smile and point at their cameras, it does us Pentaxians NO GOOD AT ALL to say "No, no, it's all in the skill of the photographer." If we don't let our gear take at least some of the credit, what future does Pentax have as a brand? Sometimes it seems we are our own worst enemy.

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
How often do we have someone take a glance at our images only to say ... 'that looks amazing .... you must have a really expensive camera...!' ? ....
The answer should be "I don't have an expensive camera, but I do have a damn good camera."
09-14-2015, 06:13 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, this has been rehashed forever. A good tool does not make a good craftsman. A good tool in the hands of a good craftsman can yield beauty.
When people say the tired line "you must have a good camera" the best reply is 'yes, it does what I want, and I've spent a lot of time learning how to do that.' Or something to that effect.