Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photographs not taken..,

I read this book a couple years ago, it's a good read and really resonated with me.

http://www.amazon.com/Photographs-Not-Taken-Will-Steacy/dp/0983231613

Well last night I had my own experience. Last night I was soaking in a hot tub at the hotel I stay at when I'm in Denali for work and as usual there were a few light green bands of the northern lights out. Then they got big for about an hour between 12 and 1, and right around 1230 they cranked up and went crazy. Pinks and purples and white and green. There was this amazing color burst that looked like a cloud of fairies swirling around that lasted 5 seconds tops, the whole big color show maybe 5 minutes.

My camera? 300 yards away in its case, plus I'm in a hot tub. Tripod? Back in Fairbanks. Sometimes you just get to enjoy the moment.

09-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Wish I had been there to see it. Preferably with my camera! The aurora has been particularly active the past couple days, in fact, we are under an aurora "warning" right now, (2pm eastern time) but most likely it will have faded by nightfall. And it is supposed to be cloudy anyway.
09-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have thought of this before too for general photograpy. Thanks for sharing. I have been aware of this around people at social and family gatherings. There was a time I always had a camera in hand and then I became aware I was missing personal interaction myself and simply recording others enjoying each other`s company. In recent years I seldom have a camera with me for these things, then somebody else hands me one to shoot their picture with......
I often have an experience similar to yours while I`m driving between home and work though and just get to enjoy nature and weather changes without feeling the need to capture it.
09-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is why I have the 645 Pro app on my iPhone and similar apps on my Android. At least I have something when the world makes me go "Ahhhhhhh...".

The best camera you have is the one with you. But I completely understand this sentiment - there are some pictures you just can't capture due to time/effort/equipment/ and you have to enjoy the moment even so.

09-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've missed a streak of really spectacular sunset stormscapes recently just due to other commitments recently. I'd be driving, making dinner, or otherwise have my hands full and see the sky just go crazy. My mantra to myself is to not get anxious about it and enjoy it. Mostly that works.
09-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #6

Ahh, the lost pictures. skierd, you have my condolences. Usually I just figure that I have the memory. There are two picture that I REALLY wanted, but alas didn't get.

#1 was during a very hard freeze in Connecticut a couple of years ago. I was on my way to an appointment on a narrow, heavily-traveled, SLIPPERY road when I saw a mailbox (the kind on a post by the street) that was fantastically bearded with icicles--quite a work of Mother Earth's art. The only reason I knew it was a mailbox was the location--that's how covered it was. That was a fantastic shot like nothing I've ever seen and I've seen a lot of ice here. I drove as slowly as I dared and tried to find a place to pull over but finally gave up considering that the whole world was covered with ice and snow and simply walking would have been downright dangerous.

#2 was last year when I passed our local fire station around dinner time. The truck doors were closed (so they weren't on a call, because they leave them open then), no lights on yet, and not a single car in the parking lot--deserted looking. Right in front, by the people door was a fancy BBQ with the lid closed and huge clouds of black smoke pumping out so thick that it obscured parts of the name on the building. Somebody needs a refresher course. Although I usually have a camera with me, that day I didn't, and my phone camera is junk. c:

I now have a dedicated "car" camera and a more resolute attitude. Never again!
09-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barefootdesigns Quote
I now have a dedicated "car" camera and a more resolute attitude. Never again!
Great story! Smart outcome.