Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Your rights, concerning copyright, and the Internet.

I came across an interesting article today. It discusses a legal action that has been going on for approximately eight years, Between Silicon Valley Giants, Including Google, and the creators of the dancing baby.

Why the 'Dancing Baby' copyright case is just hi-tech victim shaming ? The Register

it should concern anyone who has Pictures, video, music or any other document on the Internet.

I said it before, BIG business wants your data. And they don't care how they get it. And they don't want you to have any rights whatsoever, Not even fair use rights.

09-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That article is, quite frankly, idiotic. It seems to miss out on what Fair Use is, what the Chilling Effects Project is, how the DMCA works, and what issues are at the heart of the case they cite -- Lenz v. UMG -- which doesn't even involve Google or any other Silicon Valley tech company at all, but an individual and a major record label. It seems that the author of the article has attempted to warp the issues surrounding this case into supporting his ignorant rant about copyright.

Last edited by logomancer; 09-17-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: formatting
09-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with copyrights and the Internet is the end user agreement on some sites that the majority of use just accept and go on. Check out the end user agreement for facebook.
09-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The FBI warning about copyright infringement you see at the start of DVD/Blu-ray really ticks me off. Here big business is saying the tax payer is going flip the bill to enforce and protect their Intellectual Property ( which is the owner's job and expense; not the law). But you and me have little chance of the FBI ever helping us enforce and protect our IP.

09-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by logomancer Quote
It seems that the author of the article has attempted to warp the issues surrounding this case into supporting his ignorant rant about copyright.
As is so often the case on the Internet, particularly with social media, the message is paramount and supporting "facts" are invented or distorted to suit that message.

Steve
09-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The FBI warning about copyright infringement you see at the start of DVD/Blu-ray really ticks me off. Here big business is saying the tax payer is going flip the bill to enforce and protect their Intellectual Property ( which is the owner's job and expense; not the law). But you and me have little chance of the FBI ever helping us enforce and protect our IP.
I agree. The DCMA is tailored to protect a narrow class of content providers by attaching criminal penalties to what has traditionally been the realm of civil law (issues of equity).

Steve
09-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

i cancelled my internet and cable. all i have is my phone which i use sparingly. the internet has taken quite a dive in quality of content these recent years.

09-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

About all I've got is tens of thousands of squirrels....if someone wants a few hundred...or more, I don't have any problem with that. Otherwise, not much of this article gives me any concern. I am also not worried about giant asteroids crashing into the earth, though I suppose it is possible?

Regards!
09-17-2015, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jkomp316 Quote
i cancelled my internet and cable. all i have is my phone which i use sparingly. the internet has taken quite a dive in quality of content these recent years.
Except for certain individuals like yourself, Jkomp, I don't think there's going back.

For better or worse, we're in a different age.
09-18-2015, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
The problem with copyrights and the Internet is the end user agreement on some sites that the majority of use just accept and go on. Check out the end user agreement for facebook.
There isn't an option to not accept and offer different terms, so there you are. Live in a cave or be a prisoner of the system.
09-18-2015, 05:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Where an excess of power prevails no man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
James Madison
09-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are alternatives to big social media sites that don't have such issues. The problem is getting all of your friends to switch too.
09-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I asked an FBI agent about this. He said the FBI has better things to do than go after people who steal cable tv and copy videos.
09-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I asked an FBI agent about this. He said the FBI has better things to do than go after people who steal cable tv and copy videos.
I'm not a lawyer and even then it probably takes a specialized one in copyright law to know all this. But I believe taking a copy of a video or picture is technically not grounds to be arrested because you have not stolen anything. The owner still has the original. But it can be illegal if the content has been encrypted, I think.

Purchased DVD/Blu-rays have secret, proprietary encryption. And the software to decrypt it has to be licensed. Most likely big business saw the discrepancy in the law about taking copies of things vs stealing physical property and since they have lots of money can push and pass the Digital Millennium Copyright Act which makes it a crime to circumvent the encryption.

That is what they can arrest you for not so much the act of taking copies of things. The owner has to pursue compensation in the courts for that, I believe. But like I said I'm not a lawyer and this subject is complicated.

Last edited by tuco; 09-19-2015 at 11:58 AM.
09-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm not a lawyer and even then it probably takes a specialized one in copyright law to know all this. But I believe taking a copy of a video or picture is technically not grounds to be arrested because you have not stolen anything. The owner still has the original. But it can be illegal if the content has been encrypted, I think.
Copyright law falls under tort law, not criminal. No one is arrested for simple violations; the owner has to sue and win judgment in civil court.

There are different rules when you're running a criminal operation centered on bootlegging. But then it falls under RICO law or other organized crime laws; then the core illegal business doesn't really come into play.