Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flash terminology

Good morning,

I just purchased my first speedlight (AF540FGZII) and am getting the hang of it, slowly. Owning a flash means all sorts of new terms. I was almost shocked when I discovered that the terms "master" and "slave" are used in the context of flash photography. Couldn't we transition to a more modern take on these terms? What do you all think?

09-20-2015, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbriginshawphotograp Quote
Good morning,

I just purchased my first speedlight (AF540FGZII) and am getting the hang of it, slowly. Owning a flash means all sorts of new terms. I was almost shocked when I discovered that the terms "master" and "slave" are used in the context of flash photography. Couldn't we transition to a more modern take on these terms? What do you all think?
seriously??
09-20-2015, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is technical terminology, in context there is IMO no social connotation and no need to start going all PC. Similarly male/female threads .....
09-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Similarly male/female threads .....
I have seen more than a few red faces when discussing such things...

09-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You know what being a slave means? Having no initiative and being at the back and call of someone else. A master is one who says and others do. That describes exactly the interaction between the master flash unit and the slave flash unit. The terminology is correct.

Unless you got a new model that is a sentient being, I fail to see the problem. If a slave flash went about doing what it wanted it would be faulty.
09-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
This is technical terminology, in context there is IMO no social connotation and no need to start going all PC. Similarly male/female threads .....
It's a touch ironic that so-called PC cables for connecting flashes have vulgar male/female threads exposed to the world. You'd think they'd come with little covers or something for the ends.
09-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It's a touch ironic that so-called PC cables for connecting flashes have vulgar male/female threads exposed to the world. You'd think they'd come with little covers or something for the ends.
Don't worry, those female/male attachments aren't big enough to intimidate anyone.

09-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Don't worry, those female/male attachments aren't big enough to intimidate anyone.
My 2.5m light stand has a male stud for the female thread on my slave flash.
Intimidates plenty!
09-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Barry Goldwater annoyed the Amateur Radio community with the same complaint about antenna cable connectors.