Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting a wedding with a k5II is no problem. What you need is 4-5 good lenses.
Shooting alone is not a problem. You need skills, including flash and PP techniques.
Some clients are extremely fun, others not so much.
It's simply not for you.

09-24-2015, 04:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Shooting a wedding with a k5II is no problem. What you need is 4-5 good lenses.
Shooting alone is not a problem. You need skills, including flash and PP techniques.
Some clients are extremely fun, others not so much.
It's simply not for you.
Well, nice defense of K5ii , but I've never said it's impossible to shot with it. I said that if I decide to set wedding photography as a business, I will use different camera leaving K5iis for a pleasure only. Again, everyone has own preferences. As a pro my preference will be steady delivery as much as possible. The rest is secondary for mass market (I'm not talking about high end wedding pros, it takes much more than simple knowledge how to use the camera).

Sure, I do need skills. Attending a few more weddings as a distant guest would help before being fully in charge (not the part of the ceremony in long damn dress and high damn hills making an entrance with parents while guests are sitting and enjoying the ceremony).

I did not think it was a good idea to use my flash around the pro. I did not use it because I can't. I had, however all freedom covering rehearsal dinner and hairstyling/makeup alone using flash when I wanted.

For me it or not, I don't know if I really want to have so much headache to get into it. So, how do you know?
Calculating an investment and time and compare it with the income does not give me the numbers at the end I'm excited about. Supplemental job- maybe. The main job with serious investment - nope.
09-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Well, nice defense of K5ii , but I've never said it's impossible to shot with it. I said that if I decide to set wedding photography as a business, I will use different camera leaving K5iis for a pleasure only. Again, everyone has own preferences. As a pro my preference will be steady delivery as much as possible. The rest is secondary for mass market (I'm not talking about high end wedding pros, it takes much more than simple knowledge how to use the camera).

Sure, I do need skills. Attending a few more weddings as a distant guest would help before being fully in charge (not the part of the ceremony in long damn dress and high damn hills making an entrance with parents while guests are sitting and enjoying the ceremony).

I did not think it was a good idea to use my flash around the pro. I did not use it because I can't. I had, however all freedom covering rehearsal dinner and hairstyling/makeup alone using flash when I wanted.

For me it or not, I don't know if I really want to have so much headache to get into it. So, how do you know?
Calculating an investment and time and compare it with the income does not give me the numbers at the end I'm excited about. Supplemental job- maybe. The main job with serious investment - nope.
It all depends what you are looking for. You're likely not to get rich as a photographer, but if you like photo, you'll get free.
09-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Lol, a few years ago I had a wedding to attend to as a guest, so I brought my K5II+70ltd along to keep myself busy (read - to avoid social talk with people who do not interest me). There was also a photo/video crew to cover the whole thing, so... somewhere along the show I've got to talk with the official photographer and I was kinda intrigued by the fact that he was shooting straight JPGs. Good for him - who am I to judge? Long story short - in the days that followed I've processed and shared the photos that I took, which later turned into bride calling me and asking for full-size files for their wedding album since the photos from the hired crew turned out kinda unworthy. All that to say that K5II was more than adequate to shoot in a rather dim reception hall, but you need to know what you're doing and having a selection of fast lenses definitely helps (50-135 would have been a perfect tool for the job). On the other hand - if you're there for nothing but fun, K-body + LTD primes is so inconspicuous that people tend to not take you seriously and you get some very cool and natural shots.

10-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
I've processed and shared the photos that I took, which later turned into bride calling me and asking for full-size files for their wedding album since the photos from the hired crew turned out kinda unworthy. All that to say that K5II was more than adequate to shoot in a rather dim reception hall, but you need to know what you're doing and having a selection of fast lenses definitely helps (50-135 would have been a perfect tool for the job).
Well, I got my moment of glory today after uploading my edited album, and the pro delivered her work (with minimal efforts, frankly speaking).
I've been asked why women are not that pretty on her pictures, and beautiful on mine. Well, you will get what you are paying for...

I'm still learning from comparing both works now. Still, fast and accurate focus must have for wedding. The bottom line. My composition sucks. Period. There are lot of things to learn. I like however, to photograph people. Just love it.

Plus, the flash is useless if not knowing how use it efficiently. I don't want to say bad about someone's work, but damn... I regret for giving up my flash! Although the flash was somehow ok using under that light (IF knowing how, sorry), the simple reflector (even car window protector!) would be way more better, imo. Or off camera flash to eliminate harsh shadows.
I would love to shoot a few weddings for free and without obligations just to practice.
And I still consider my DA70mm ltd the best portrait lens with the strong character. Love it! Too bad it's not for FF. The only lens which has a bit of 70mm ltd character, imo is manual M75-150mm f4, but it's not the same.

Last edited by micromacro; 10-01-2015 at 11:07 AM.
10-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Some of the best wedding shots I got at the LAST wedding I shot...or will shoot, were from Mrs Rupert. I gave her an X10 Toy Camera and set it on EXR and let here shoot away all day. She did pretty good!

Actually, some of the best wedding photos I have seen is where the bride & groom had their guests shoot at will with their phones and upload into a gallery they had made for the purpose. It was full of outstanding shots that no wedding photographer could have shot. Lots of junk shots too, but so many were excellent that it was amazing. When you have 50 guests or more, all shooting at the same time, the odds definitely improve.

Regards!
10-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Actually, some of the best wedding photos I have seen is where the bride & groom had their guests shoot at will with their phones and upload into a gallery they had made for the purpose.
Oh, Rupert, sometimes I miss that photo virginity I've lost when bought my first DSLR. My composition actually was much better before I started thinking about it. Now I don't know how to stop thinking and just shot.

10-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Oh, Rupert, sometimes I miss that photo virginity I've lost when bought my first DSLR. My composition actually was much better before I started thinking about it. Now I don't know how to stop thinking and just shot.
Well, it happens Micro...we get all tangled up in composition, lighting, settings and technique and miss some of the best shots. Mrs Rupert didn't have to worry about any of that, just point and shoot...same thing the phone people did at that other wedding. Sometimes a few more drinks at the start isn't a bad idea!
She was having fun snapping while I was much less relaxed.....
Toy Camera

Regards!
10-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

And I still consider my DA70mm ltd the best portrait lens with the strong character. Love it! Too bad it's not for FF. The only lens which has a bit of 70mm ltd character, imo is manual M75-150mm f4, but it's not the same.
Who told you the DA 70mm is not a full frame lens? It covers the full frame circle. See here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=sony%20a7%20pentax%20da%2070mm
10-06-2015, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Interesting experience ....well done.

I've shot a couple of weddings for people down Goolwa way..... mostly for Fire Service Volunteers I know.....I charge two bottles of Baileys (Irish Cream) for it......mostly use the 31 and 77 with a bit of 21 for groups. I don't mind doing stuff for nothing for people that do stuff for nothing.

10-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
People really liked seeing the Instax pics.
Yep, I sure do Mr Bassie! Fell free to post some here, we have plenty of space!

Regards!
10-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Who told you the DA 70mm is not a full frame lens? It covers the full frame circle. See here: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=sony%20a7%20pentax%20da%2070mm
SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
And others listing this lens as APS-C.
I'm glad to be wrong, and use 70mm ltd for future Pentax FF.
10-07-2015, 07:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
the official photographer and I was kinda intrigued by the fact that he was shooting straight JPGs
it's very common for Pro wedding shooters ! they want to shoot as much as possible and Raw are just too slow. their job is harder that way though, they have to get the settings & WB absolutely right in field, more stress !!!
10-07-2015, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #29

Just so you know, I shoot weddings with two K5iis's and prime lenses. I don't understand your problems with focusing. Maybe something else focuses faster, but the k5ii works well enough for me, especially in very low light. Using flash is another story. I use only manual, off camera flash because I don't trust the pTTL. Being forced to learn manual flash was actually very good for me, but I'm looking forward to having that luxury on my next camera.
10-07-2015, 08:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
And others listing this lens as APS-C.
I'm glad to be wrong, and use 70mm ltd for future Pentax FF.
There are a lot of DA primes that cover the full frame circle but are sold as APS-C lenses... the DA 35 2.4, DA 40 Limited, the DA 50 1.8, the DA*55 and the DA 70. Hopefully I haven't forgotten any.

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
Just so you know, I shoot weddings with two K5iis's and prime lenses. I don't understand your problems with focusing. Maybe something else focuses faster, but the k5ii works well enough for me, especially in very low light. Using flash is another story. I use only manual, off camera flash because I don't trust the pTTL. Being forced to learn manual flash was actually very good for me, but I'm looking forward to having that luxury on my next camera.
Just as a curiosity, what two primes do you usually go with?