Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it just me?

There are times I cannot fathom why some photographs are considered good or wonderful or great.

Sony is currently running a series of ads - including a 26 page magazine accompanying my Popular Photography - that is titled "Untamed Power." The ads feature a full page photo of a model with a large amount red eye shadow and flowing honey-blonde hair with a dark background and flowers. This is all very lovely, except the young woman has been lit (or made up) in such a way that she appears to have a 5 o'clock shadow!

Is this just me? Am I missing the boat? What makes this photograph such that it would be a full page focal point in an advertisement for a camera?

09-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a couple of times already that they include a Alpha packet alongside with the Popular Photography magazine. Pentax should do the same somehow, maybe with Outdoor Photographer!
09-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It's not hard for me...I only have to please a few thousand squirrels, with Otis making the final call on my shots. Here is one from this morning that would never make Nat Geo or the Sony Showcase, but was found to be excellent by Otis.....

I apologized that all I got in good focus was his handsome face......but he assured me that his handsome face was all that really mattered!

He also mentioned that it is hard to get his big nuts in perfect focus due to the size.....

Regards!
09-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find this especially with fashion photography. While the shot may be technically good, I often find them very unappealing.
My only explanation is I just have very different tastes and opinions on beauty than some of those fashion the photo editors. I'm ok with that!

09-25-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
My only explanation is I just have very different tastes and opinions on beauty than some of those fashion the photo editors. I'm ok with that!
+1. While some find a particular photo stunning, others may find it unappealing. Boils down to personal taste. I for one do not find the fashion photos appealing, while a landscape photo may have me loving it.
09-25-2015, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
+1. While some find a particular photo stunning, others may find it unappealing. Boils down to personal taste. I for one do not find the fashion photos appealing, while a landscape photo may have me loving it.
I do love beautiful ladies but would rather see them "in the wild" enjoying one of those landscapes instead of being all painted and decorated prancing down the runway like a prized heifer in a livestock auction.
09-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NOW, that's what I'm talking about!!! That is beauty!

09-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Listen up guys!

Who wants skinny models in skimpy outfits when handsome squirrels are willing to model for only peanuts!

Regards!
09-25-2015, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I remember all the whining a few years ago about the clothing company (I forget which) where all the kids modeling looked like crackheads. I think they ended up removing some billboards around NYC. While the general public considered the ads ugly and offensive, obviously the photographer and the advertising execs thought they had a real winner. I'm too old to keep up on the fads but I wonder if the kids who the ad targeted actually bought the clothes.

I do suspect that some of the odd fashion shots are done for the sole purpose of getting attention and creating a controversy. It gets publicity it wouldn't normally get. As for where I live, everybody from toddlers to old coots wear Carhartt and our version of a dept. store is Tractor Supply.
09-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I do suspect that some of the odd fashion shots are done for the sole purpose of getting attention and creating a controversy. It gets publicity it wouldn't normally get. As for where I live, everybody from toddlers to old coots wear Carhartt and our version of a dept. store is Tractor Supply.
I agree with your suspicion; shock works to get publicity!

Tractor Supply is my kind of dept. store also. I frequent Murdoch's, which is tools, animal feed, etc.! In the Spring they bring in live baby chickens & geese & have them inside in special pens with a warm light. They are so dang cute!
09-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Who wants skinny models in skimpy outfits when handsome squirrels are willing to model for only peanuts!
Man... look at the love handles of that "thang" ...
09-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out discussions of photos sold for record prices - it's not just you.

I know I don't understand street photography at all. At first, I just thought they were all bad pictures. Now I simply admit that I don't get the genre, which is fine. I don't need to complain about it or argue against it.
09-25-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Man... look at the love handles of that "thang" ..
If you start out young "eating healthy" it just gets better with time!

Eventually the handles disappear and you get a nice smoothly shaped trim body!

Regards!
09-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
getting attention and creating a controversy. It gets publicity it wouldn't normally get
"There's no such thing as bad publicity", a paraphrase allegedly said by Oscar Wilde.
09-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very true words.