Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

ON1

Anybody have any experience with On1 products? How do they compare to NIK?

They are onsale today

09-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ON1 is an excellent suite. Especially Perfect Resize. But Perfect Suite 10 is coming out next month, so if you buy 9.5 make sure it qualifies for a free update, or just wait. You can try it out for 30 days anyway.
09-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you by now (only 24hrs left) you get the upgrade to 10! and its only $99.99. Its pretty sweet, I only have Perfect effects 9.5 and love it. I wish I had the full suite, but I am paying on a expensive house repaint. So.... no deal for me yet.

ON1 Photo 10 – ON1, Inc.
09-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
Have you uses Nik or Topaz? How does it compare?

It's like $89 for whole suite...includes upgrade to 10 in october

09-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think they all have their strengths. You can download a demo of Topaz and On1. I have some experience with them both, but can't say wich is better. I can tell you Perfect Effects in On1 is SWEET! You will likely find the other tools useful too. I have to say, If I had 99$ I would purchase it right this moment.
09-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

I have no experience with the other suites but you will pry the dynamic contrast filter in perfect effects out of my dead or dying hands. It gets used on virtually all of my landscape and flower pictures. Resize and portrait are also excellent
09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes & No

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Anybody have any experience with On1 products? How do they compare to NIK?

They are onsale today
I, like others can talk about On1, but not the comparison. The reputation of the Nik software is well known so you might find someone here with experience of both yet.

I've been using the On1 suite since version 6. Over that time I've continued to update to the latest version and have been impressed with the evolution of a suite that seemed like a simplifed Photoshop alternative that was also a plug in that included an excellent enlarger, to what has become a really well thought out program for photographers. I still use Lightroom and Photoshop because I had them first and continue to rely upon them for specific activities like cataloguing, raw work and final processing and output. With the latest version of the On1 suite (9.5) this is not necessary, but it's what I do.

As you can try 9.5 for free, I suggest you give it a try. As indicated already, Perfect Effects can be had for free and it's great. I bought into the program for Resize but really Effects and Perfect B&W are the part that gets the most use as I still use the Adobe suite and don't do portraits. The offer is really good for the money and if you're looking to develop a style these are great tools. There's good batch options and as you can develop and save your own workflows, you can replicate on multiple images so easy.

I'm also a fan of the product and will be updating the the new version. There's some big changes in the look of the new version, though my experience to date is the updates have taken this program from strength to strength. It can be a standalone without any other program if you choose to use it that way so it's more than just an Adobe plug in with some stand alone capability.

So yes I can recommend the program, and recommend you give it a free trial. If Nik have a similar offer you can probably answer some of your questions yourself. Personally I don't think you can lose whichever way you go if you also use Adobe.

Good luck with the decision.

Tas

09-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Perfect Effects 8 often, and the Nik suite somewhat less so. There are a ton of presets available that give you a lot of options in Perfect Effects. It isn't super obvious how to tweak them but I have learned some. Nik requires more input, and I haven't learned the controls very well yet.
09-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
cool... i pulled the trigger. Now need shoot more pics so I can use it
09-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Really love this program. Dynamic contrast option is awesome. Portrait mode can use some work especially for shots that are not straight on but I'm excited about the promoted upgrade in version 10 that they claim will improve this. Meanwhile it is really easy to use if you have the right shot.

Layers, masking, and on and on work great. I just got back from Burning Man --a photographer's dream vacation-- and my friends really enjoyed my work. Every photo was touched up a bit with Suite 9.5. Very excited about Suite 10.

They also have loads and loads of great presets that are actually useful. Saving and sorting is so much easier and intuitive than trying to figure out the over complicated (IMO) Light Room import/export dialogue. I find this sooo much easiser to use and learn than Light Room etc. Although you can set this up as a LR plug-in it is just fine as a stand alone app.Their instructional videos on Youtube are nice too.

Will definitely buy the upgrade.

PS: Resolution in the actual photos are much better than what is shown here for some reason. Original files are 11-12 megabytes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by eddaytona; 09-29-2015 at 08:10 PM.
09-29-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

I love this program too, I have paid for the upgrade to version 10, can't wait.
09-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet!

cool... i pulled the trigger. Now need shoot more pics so I can use it
Always good to have a bit of extra motivation to get out and capture more images, but don't forget to review older images too. A refresh of post processing when those drab days roll in is a good way of exploring what the programs can do.

If you haven't done so already, check out the videos on their website. They're great for showing what you have at your disposal.

Enjoy exploring mate, there's some real hidden gems in your hot little hands.

Tas
09-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
where's a good place to get more presets?
10-01-2015, 01:45 AM   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where's a good place to get more presets?
I'm guessing you've been here already, http://www.on1.com/photos/ but if not there's some free presets to start with. The emails from On1 will include either free or for purchase presets at a discount over the next year, so you will pick some up there if there's no appetite for purchasing.

Personally, this program is great for experimenting with textures/effects/layers/masks that you create then save. If you use Lightroom it's similar but this program seems to provide me more of what I like.

I found the videos were great for inspiration and what could be done. I ended up with some that are unique to me out of that and now find that while I have the downloaded presets I'd rather create my own.

Some examples of filters that I created can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25114742@N07/13746878744/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25114742@N07/9980603675/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25114742@N07/19037050920/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25114742@N07/14965720219/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25114742@N07/15155112495/in/dateposted/

Last edited by Tas; 10-01-2015 at 01:54 AM.
10-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Some examples of filters that I created can be found here
Nice... I like them. I found the free ones and installed them.

I do use Lightroom and PS and NIK and Topaz adjust. Looking forward to putting these through the paces. One quick question.... When I finish a pick in On1....where in the heck does the photo save to...lol.

I "Edit in" from photoshop... went through it...saved it...for the life of me I can't find it. Traveling this week so haven't had a bunch of time to mess with it