Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2015, 01:14 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every time someone asks "Camera or lens" my usual knee jerk reaction is to yell: lens!

I have the Tamron and really like it. I have a K-5 but not a K-3. I don't feel the need to upgrade my K-5 yet (still like the way it performs in low light and don't really need the extra resolution) but hear the K-3 does bring quite a bit to the table.

The K-30 is a pretty good camera but if you need the extra resolution then go for the upgrade!

10-02-2015, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Go the glass, Jpeachee, you know it makes sense! :-)
10-02-2015, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #18

Have you explored the second hand option. You will most likely get both at the second hand market for the price of either one of them new. Explore the buy/sell section at the forum, any local second hand dealer or even E-Bay or similar sites. I got my K3 second hand for less than half the price of a new one, it was in perfect condition with only a couple of thousands shots taken. You will love the K3 body. If you don't want second hand stuff then I suggest to go for the glass.
10-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
What lens are you using to shoot the games now?
I am using a Sigma DC 50-200mm F4-5.6 HSM at this time. Like I said, it is adequate but not nearly what I would like. My pictures just aren't as crisp as I would like.

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 08:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jpeachee Quote
I am using a Sigma DC 50-200mm F4-5.6 HSM at this time. Like I said, it is adequate but not nearly what I would like. My pictures just aren't as crisp as I would like.
Thanks all for your replies, your knowledge and opinions will make my choice a whole lot easier. I only have around 11,000 clicks on my K30 so I think I may end up going with the lens.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 08:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Tough Decision! Personally, I would choose the lens first.because the K-30 is quite capable. But if I really wanted more megapixels, no AA filter, and the GPS, I'd get the K-3II. I have the 70=200 and it is a good lens for sports. I assume the lenses you currently have don't quite cut it for these activities. Is 2.8 even fast enough for inside an auditorium?
I've gotten some decent shots with my sigma DC 50-200 F4-5.6 HSM lens in the auditorium but not without pushing my ISO to the max and doing some software fixes to the pics. I think the faster lens can't hurt. But it will make a huge difference for the baseball games.

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 08:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't know how anybody could answer this question without knowing what your current lens is. Either camera will do a fantastic job though and take great pictures. I've owned a K-30 since it was first released, and I haven't felt a pressing need to upgrade. If you take a look at my sig, you can see where I chose to put my money.

Knowing how to use your equipment will make a bigger difference than the upgraded camera body. I shot my daughters' Nutcracker last year with my K-30, and I got better pictures than another dad who was using a 5D III with a Canon 70-200mm. (He told me he was disappointed with the pictures he got compared to mine.) I mostly used my Sigma 85mm f1.4 and Sigma 100-300mm f4.
I use the sigma DC 50-200 F4-5.6 HSM. Sorry, I guess that would have helped...

10-02-2015, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

SO, K-3 and SIgma DC 50-200 4-5.6
Or K-30 and Tamron 70-200 ƒ2.8.

Tough one, I think I'd go with the Tamron, next time you upgrade your body it will still be a great lens. And lately, I've been using my K-5 and K-01 (16 MP) a bit, and they are really quite a adequate for most images. In many case, time spent without an ƒ2.8 lens is time wasted. If you are getting decent results at 200mm 5.6, 200mm at ƒ2.8 will feel like a dream.

For images like this that are cropped, the K-3 has the advantage...

For images where you can actually frame nice and tight, 16 MP is lots. (K-01 image)

I think the big thing here is, both things would help you, the faster more decisive focusing on the K-3 and the wider aperture of the 70-200, so really, you can't go wrong either way.

The 70-200 will be there for the long haul.
The K-3 will make all your lenses better.

It's tough call.
10-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With your old lens on a K-3, you will be at f/5.6 wide open at 200mm. With the new lens on your K-30 you will be at f/2.8 wide open at 200mm. That's a full 2-stop difference. You will get better image quality from the K-30 than from the K-3 in this scenario.

For example, if you are able to shoot at ISO 400 to get the frame rate you need to freeze the action at f/2.8, then you will need to increase your ISO two stops to 1600 to achieve the same exposure at f/5.6. So you can shoot at ISO 400 with the K-30/Tamron, but on the K-3/sigma you will need to shoot at ISO 1600.

From what I've seen, the image quality between the 16MP and 24MP sensors are very close, megapixels aside. I don't see much of a high-ISO noise advantage from the 24MP sensor. So I think you will get better pictures with the new lens. And then maybe upgrade your body farther down the road to gain the other advantages of the K-3.

UPDATE: I just check DxoMark, and they rate the K-50 and the K-3 neck-and-neck: 79 for the K-50 and 80 for the K-3. That matches what I've seen looking at images from the two cameras. Please note that DxoMark doesn't consider maximum resolution in their ratings, so if somebody is mostly shooting at low ISO, then they may enjoy the slight resolution increase of the K-3.

But the difference between 16MP and 24MP is not nearly as large as it sounds when you see the two images on the screen, and for most purposes it would be a non-factor. As far as I'm concerned, the increased megapixels would be one of the last reasons to upgrade to the K-3. The other improvements, such as faster AF and ruggedness, would be more compelling for me.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 10-02-2015 at 09:04 AM.
10-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
SO, K-3 and SIgma DC 50-200 4-5.6
Or K-30 and Tamron 70-200 ƒ2.8.

Tough one, I think I'd go with the Tamron, next time you upgrade your body it will still be a great lens. And lately, I've been using my K-5 and K-01 (16 MP) a bit, and they are really quite a adequate for most images. In many case, time spent without an ƒ2.8 lens is time wasted. If you are getting decent results at 200mm 5.6, 200mm at ƒ2.8 will feel like a dream.

For images like this that are cropped, the K-3 has the advantage...

For images where you can actually frame nice and tight, 16 MP is lots. (K-01 image)

I think the big thing here is, both things would help you, the faster more decisive focusing on the K-3 and the wider aperture of the 70-200, so really, you can't go wrong either way.

The 70-200 will be there for the long haul.
The K-3 will make all your lenses better.

It's tough call.
Thanks! Great Pics by the way!

---------- Post added 10-02-15 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
With your old lens on a K-3, you will be at f/5.6 wide open at 200mm. With the new lens on your K-30 you will be at f/2.8 wide open at 200mm. That's a full 2-stop difference. You will get better image quality from the K-30 than from the K-3 in this scenario.

For example, if you are able to shoot at ISO 400 to get the frame rate you need to freeze the action at f/2.8, then you will need to increase your ISO two stops to 1600 to achieve the same exposure at f/5.6. So you can shoot at ISO 400 with the K-30/Tamron, but on the K-3/sigma you will need to shoot at ISO 1600.

From what I've seen, the image quality between the 16MP and 24MP sensors are very close, megapixels aside. I don't see much of a high-ISO noise advantage from the 24MP sensor. So I think you will get better pictures with the new lens. And then maybe upgrade your body farther down the road to gain the other advantages of the K-3.

UPDATE: I just check DxoMark, and they rate the K-50 and the K-3 neck-and-neck: 79 for the K-50 and 80 for the K-3. That matches what I've seen looking at images from the two cameras. Please note that DxoMark doesn't consider maximum resolution in their ratings, so if somebody is mostly shooting at low ISO, then they may enjoy the slight resolution increase of the K-3.

But the difference between 16MP and 24MP is not nearly as large as it sounds when you see the two images on the screen, and for most purposes it would be a non-factor. As far as I'm concerned, the increased megapixels would be one of the last reasons to upgrade to the K-3. The other improvements, such as faster AF and ruggedness, would be more compelling for me.
I agree Edgar...looking @ lenses now. Thank you

10-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yeah, I think I agree with the old camera, new lens solution. Go for it! And show off some shots! :-)
10-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Yeah, I think I agree with the old camera, new lens solution. Go for it! And show off some shots! :-)
Will Do!
Thanks again!!
10-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Actually, I don't see Mp as important as many others here. I mean, yes you can crop more and you can print larger images. But in sheer image quality, for smaller prints and on screen views that fills the screen not zooming in - I don't really see the difference. If you enjoy your K-30, do keep and invest in the lens instead. Sure the K-3 will give you more secure AF in low light and it has technically a more advanced metering. But the K-30 is a darn fine camera..
10-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
But in sheer image quality, for smaller prints and on screen views that fills the screen not zooming in - I don't really see the difference. If you enjoy your K-30, do keep and invest in the lens instead.
For smaller prints?? We're talking about a modern 16MP DSLR sensor...not a 4MP compact from 10 years ago! Your qualifiers about "smaller prints" and "not zooming in" really don't apply. My 30" Dell with QHD resolution (2560x1440) doesn't come close to displaying a 16MP image. Even my 4K TV with its 3840x2160 resolution (about 8MP) falls far short of showing a 100% zoom from the K-30.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 10-02-2015 at 02:07 PM.
10-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Isn't the Tamron a FF lens? I think I'd go for the lens, especially if it's FF capable, then see what body I could afford when the time is right. The K3 is going to come down in price the longer you wait and you may even be able to step up to the new FF camera, if you want, by the time you're ready to upgrade your camera.
10-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey all,

I am forced to make a decision of either purchasing the K3 or the Tamron F2.8 70-200. I currently own the K30 with adequate lenses but nothing like the Tamron. I shoot my son's baseball games and auditorium showchoir events so I need a good lens that can cover both fairly well. But I also want the new technology that will give me better photos. I can afford just one of these, but not both, at this time.

Up for debate; I would like anyone's opinion of which they think is more important, camera or lens, and the reasoning. The K30 is good but I really want the pixels...

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give me on this.

James
Get the lens it will outlive any body by a long shot, and will always improve your photos over anything you have in that focal length range already

I bought a sigma 70-200/32.8 to use with my *istD, since then I have moved progressively to K10, K7 and finally K5. But I still use the sigma, after 12 years.
10-03-2015, 01:31 AM   #29
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Camera or Lens?
Don't beat yourself up deciding... get 'em both like a true Pentaxian.

If there's a will... there's a way, I think is the saying.
10-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Lens.