Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking Back

I had occasion recently to dive into my photographic archives. Several things struck me:

1. With very few exceptions, my film photos are awful! No surprise, really--I was shooting with consumer cameras with built-in lenses and having the film processed--but still: really, really awful.

2. I was smart when I bought my K100D (my first DSLR), buying the body, the Tamron 18-250 and the FA43 ltd. The Tamron is surprisingly good and gave me a lot of freedom to experiment but the shots with the 43 really jumped out at me as I was browsing through the files.

3. I took some really interesting shots back then--just wandering around with the camera. I've gotten much more specialized over the years and out of the habit of just looking around and shooting--I'll have to get back to that.

10-06-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi Dave,

First of all I don't think your film shots are terrible, actually quite good.
Your digital captures have more saturation and definately a lot sharper. The 43 limited really stands out...WOW.
I have owned an *istD, *istDS, two K100D, K10D, K5 and a Q. The K10D was a step up but the K5 is far above anything I have used. When the FF comes out I would expect the K3s to come down more in price and I will buy one. The Q is gone bye bye. I just did not like shooting with the ground glass. I will probably keep the *istD forever just because it was Pentax's first dslr. One of the K100Ds is used by my daughter and the other by my son...and still going strong. Viva La Pentax!
10-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Naw man--you haven't seen my film stuff (consider yourself lucky). It wasn't until digital came along in the form of that K100D that I could get on board the photography bus. I'd gotten a taste when I went to China back in the '80s with the Auto 110 (and some of those photos were actually pretty good) but processing was still out of my hands.

Agree about the Q--I gave it a try but definitely prefer an OVF.
10-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In my case I was equally good with film shooting as with digital but my film photos are better and this is only in terms of PP as I am still learning how to do some stuff. Still some people who have photographs taken by me asking me when I will be back to take their family photos, which is quiet flattering as I took those 20 years ago and those people have used many other photographer but I was still asked if I can take some very important event in their life's to capture. Unfortunately as I am across the pond now and do not have plans to go there this year I had to decline them and recommended to go with some other local photographers... When I look at some of these photos (I have a friend here who has some 20 years ago large prints done by me) I am impressed with quality of those prints. I did use at that point exclusively Fuji lab but depending on the occasion variety of diverse films, mostly Fuji, AGFA and Kodak and some prints were big as 1m - 1.5m (long side) on Fuji photo paper. I loved gradation and colors on that Fuji paper but do not ask me what type they used as I do not have a clue.

---------- Post added 10-07-15 at 12:25 AM ----------

BTW I started to shot with Konica cameras and lenses and had an Pentax Spotmatic as well and later was shooting exclusively with Nikon (F-801s; F4, and F90x prof. and for short time F5). Strange I never went with Canon or had a Canon camera. Few friends were using exclusively Canon and as I know their work cannot blame them but for some reason I always preferred Nikon back then. I also was shooting Mamiya medium format on demand... Always loved Mamiya MF glass and if I can afford again MF probably I will go with Pentax now or Mamiya again.

Last edited by RAART; 10-06-2015 at 09:26 PM.
10-07-2015, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Looking Back
Also I think it's also down to our own personal perceptions and tastes, as these have both definitely changed for me over the years.

Even my usage of focal lengths, I run a lot wider and up closer these days, perhaps just following my waistline.
10-07-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, I can relate to your post. I look back at my old photos and sometimes laugh and sometimes cry. Some were half decent...barely. Maybe I am a little better now, and certainly have better equipment, so I am generally more pleased with my results.

I was sharing those thoughts with Otis recently as we gazed at old shots in my galleries. He said it was all nonsense, I hadn't gotten any better and my equipment was not the reason for better shots......he said it is plain to see that over time squirrels have just become even more handsome than ever!

Maybe he is right,he always is, but my old DS could never deliver ISO 5000 like this!

Regards!