Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone still want Ricoh to make an effort in video?

Apple's iPhone 6s 4K camera shoots better video than $3,000+ Nikon DSLR, test finds

10-08-2015, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I don't care as I don't shoot video
If you have an expensive Nikon kit , chances are you're more serious in photography than videography.
10-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Some. I'm looking forward to the improved Theta.
10-08-2015, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Not that I care much about video, but there are important caveats to their test:

QuoteQuote:
For the test, the D750 was locked at 35 millimeters, ISO 100, and an f/8 aperture, with neutral processing settings.
They set the D750 in neutral processing and then complain that the image isn't as punchy as the one from the iPhone ? If they wanted more saturation or sharpness, why didn't they set it on something else than neutral ? The d750 just delivered them what they asked for, neutral processing...

For the rest, it's the same as usual. Phones can give good results if you're happy with wide angle shot, in good light, without background blur. Just get out of these specific conditions, and limitations become obvious. And, obviously, these comparisons always fail to mention that if buy a DSLR for video (or photography), it's not to lock your lens at a specific FL, aperture and ISO...

Last edited by CarlJF; 10-08-2015 at 10:58 AM.
10-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Not I care much about video, but there's important caveats to their test:

They set the D750 in neutral processing and then complain that the image isn't as punchy as the one from the iPhone ? If they wanted more saturation or sharpness, why didn't they set it on something else than neutral ? The d750 just delivered them what they asked for, neutral processing...

For the rest, it's the same as usual. Phones can give good results if you're happy with wide angle shot, in good light, without background blur. Just get out of these specific conditions, and limitations become obvious. And, obviously, these comparisons always fail to mention that if buy a DSLR for video (or photography), it's not to lock your lens at a specific FL, aperture and ISO...
I didn't bother reading the article, but I see your point here!
10-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it helps them to sell more cameras so they stay in the camera business then yes.
But personally I have only ever shot one 30 second video with my K3 the day I got it, so its not something that I need.
10-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Anyone still want Ricoh to make an effort in video?
Abso-bloody-lutely! No iPhone/Smartphone can ever compete with an Interchangeable Lens Camera for cinematic video work.

10-08-2015, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<sigh>

As part of a group here - and a multimedia professional - gone are the days when you can just focus on photography or video.
Not saying that Photographers as only photographers, or Cinema folks as only Cinema folks will go away, but the industry demands both.
Every single day, I do both.

I've got my shots into Forbes this month, and my videos are going to be seen by thousands this month at a major conference.
All done with a smattering of K3 and GoPro and DJI Phantom 3.

Therefore, obviously, Ricoh - while a bit behind in this area - will continue to improve and meet some minimum standards for video and include those enhancements.

10-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Chinese are about to take over video...

I'm thinking that these guys are really "thinking outside the box".

The DJI Osmo is a Handheld 12MP/4K Camera with a Brushless Gimbal

M
10-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please, yes yes yes!!!
10-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never used the video on a DSLR except out of curiosity.

I can understand Pentax delaying a camera release because a new sensor would become available, I'd hope it never did so because a new Milbeaut processor with better video was in the works.

But a minority of forum users do treat video seriously, and for depth of field and lens reasons amongst others they're serious about wanting it from their stills camera rather than their phone or camcorder.
10-09-2015, 02:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will say up front that I don't use video on my SLRs, except occasionally to snag footage in a situation where I don't have another device to capture it.

That said, I do want Pentax to put effort into video. This is definitely an area where most of the ILC makers, other than Sony and Panasonic, have not put forth a lot of effort. If Pentax has a really nice codec for their cameras it will increase camera sales and it certainly won't hurt me if I don't use it.

As has been mentioned, phones are fine for video as long as you don't mind having a wide angle of view, everything in focus, and the ergonomics you deal with with phones (shake can be pretty bad with them). The actual quality of the video codec has little to do with the quality of the video and there certainly will continue to be a place for both dedicated camcorders and ILCs that shoot video.
10-09-2015, 04:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
wide angle shot, in good light, without background blur
This is the arena in which cellphones excel, and where stills are concerned, the same was true of point-and-click cameras and handheld super-8 (yes, I'm old enough to remember using one of those) in the film era.

Does anyone still make film for super-8?
10-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Short answer, no, video is a waste of time, at least for me.
10-09-2015, 10:11 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

<sigh>

Video. With a one word change to "Cinema", it creates another category and aesthetic.
Calling those functions as "niche" for users here only highlights that Ricoh/Pentax needs to do more as others mostly use C300s/A7s/FS7/GH4 and others to perform those functions.

As great as my FA Limiteds are in Photography, they are dreamy when it comes to my Cinematography.
When I put my DA and DA* lenses on my FS7, I am thrilled to get awesome looking images.

As a visual creative, I prefer to have one camera with me.
Since I shoot with multiple cameras always, it simplifies my workflow.
Mostly the K3 does the job...it could be so much more.

How interesting folks discount the cinema ability of our cameras.
If photography was truly the only thing that mattered, the 645D is going for around $4k now, which is a steal.

I am not too concerned with "Video", but the "Cinema" aspects of Pentax cameras are what matters.

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 12:59 PM ----------

So when it comes to video...and with the delay of the FF...I took that money and bought a drone.
As a visual creative - and NEVER having flown ANYTHING - I took my enhanced equipment/portfolio and "Cinematic" aesthetic (taken from being a photographer for years and years) and applied it to my new "tool".

I created a 5 minute "eye candy" video.
All these shots would have made awesome "non-moving images" - as in photographs.

Which opened up new doors for me to do more.
I now have another arrow in my quiver.

So "cinema for Pentax" cameras, only adds another tool to an awesome platform.
A visual creative only needs tools to take their aesthetic to the next level.

Last edited by LaurenOE; 10-09-2015 at 11:01 AM.