Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting and depressing things I've seen on e-bay

The first: Pentax f/2 lenses passed off as f/1.2 lenses. This tells me either the seller is either utterly unscrupulous or utterly ignorant about the difference between 1:2 and 1:1.2 - probably because they know nothing about cameras or at the very least do not know their way around an aperture ring. I have seen this twice now.

The second was this:

QuoteQuote:
The Pentax Asahi ME camera body has a 16-segment multipattern metering system, which produces beautiful photographs even in the most complicated lighting conditions. And with the advanced SAFOX VIII phase-matching autofocus (AF) system, this 35 mm camera ensures the subject is kept in sharp focus even in low light.
I really, really want to think these are honest mistakes by people who know nothing about cameras, but the second case seems almost impossible to explain away, even as "import of standard copy". Whoever wrote that must surely know how wrong it is. Surely? Or are people really so completely clueless about what they are selling? Somehow that depresses me even more than the possibility of calculated criminality.

10-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The first: Pentax f/2 lenses passed off as f/1.2 lenses. This tells me either the seller is either utterly unscrupulous or utterly ignorant about the difference between 1:2 and 1:1.2 - probably because they know nothing about cameras or at the very least do not know their way around an aperture ring. I have seen this twice now.

*snip*
They know, they know...
10-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Someone being dishonest on E-BAY? shock! horror!! outrage!!!

Pentax f/2 lenses passed off as f/1.2 lenses
One day, we will see f/1.2 glass sell for f/2 prices...

The Pentax Asahi ME camera body has a 16-segment multipattern metering system
Really? I thought my ME super only had a CWA meter, Pentax was crafty indeed to hide that from the world! You do know that pentax never mentioned that the FA lenses transmit distance information to the camera body for exposure metering and flash metering system. This was a capability that went largely unnoticed by the photographic community at large until the early 00's*

* it feels weird typing that.

Last edited by Digitalis; 10-12-2015 at 07:18 AM.
10-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The f/2 - f/1.2 thing has been happening since the earliest days of eBay, back in the 90s. I've seen it dozens or hundreds of times. Some are dishonest, but I think most are just clueless.

Installing SAFOX VIII AF in an ME is just baffling...

10-12-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw an smc k 135/2.5 for sale on there for $700. They seller made it sound as if it was some rare collectors item. I wrote him and said I just bought one from adorama for $150 that was in excellent condition. He also had some other k lenses for outrageous prices. If I remember correctly, it was a k28 for $600.
10-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know people who buy stuff in bulk at yard/estate sales and then sell them on ebay. I am going to guess they have no clue they are making typos and just copying and pasting from other places. They don't even know what they have. Or they think everything they have is valuable. Career ebayists. They buy anything they think might be worth something.
10-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I know people who buy stuff in bulk at yard/estate sales and then sell them on ebay. I am going to guess they have no clue they are making typos and just copying and pasting from other places. They don't even know what they have. Or they think everything they have is valuable. Career ebayists. They buy anything they think might be worth something.
I think that is where most stuff sold on shopgoodwill.com goes too.

10-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

If the seller is O.Sq. O.T.Sq....Otis Squirrel...or any of the dozen or more variations, you guys should all know by now to keep looking and pass it up. Thankfully, he is not allowed here on the Marketplace after that episode where he sold genuine K3s for $300. The fine (very fine) print said K3 Photos...and the buyers got a nicely framed image of a K3.

E-Bay is a tricky place...most of my transactions have gone well there, but you can't be too careful. I think the most dangerous seller is one with skilled knowledge that has malice. He knows how to play on our need....and our greed. That's how all con men operate.....

Regards!
10-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ALL CAPS POSTS
(Deceptive) bad grammar to make the buyer think the seller is clueless
"I know nothing about cameras"
"Not tested, but everything works"
My dad's old cameras
10-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
ALL CAPS POSTS
(Deceptive) bad grammar to make the buyer think the seller is clueless
"I know nothing about cameras"
"Not tested, but everything works"
My dad's old cameras
"Found in a bag of roasted peanuts"
"Was left on a park bench by a guy feeding the squirrels"
"Need cash until my brother gets straight"....(he's a hunchback)

Yep, there are lots of warning signs!

Regards!
10-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
One day, we will see f/1.2 glass sell for f/2 prices...
As a general rule, or as a one off? I think the latter has even been documented here already.

QuoteQuote:
Really? I thought my ME super only had a CWA meter, Pentax was crafty indeed to hide that from the world.
Oddly enough, if the K-2 had suddenly acquired an APS-C sensor, multiple metering and exposure modes, weather resistance and an onboard flash, I could have waved that away in a heartbeat (K-2 with KS-2 data accidentally c&p'd). But this was just.... no way, what can they possibly be confusing it with?
10-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Today browsing Kijiji:
QuoteQuote:
Clean prime 50 mm from Pentax, F1.7. Very popular old lens for use with newer DSLRs (Pentax and Olympus, research to see what mount this fits).
And:
QuoteQuote:
- Kitstar 60mm zoom
And also people over pricing items!
K100D with NO lens $700, etc...

Also annoying is all caps posts.

Last edited by bertwert; 10-12-2015 at 03:40 PM.
10-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If the seller is O.Sq. O.T.Sq....Otis Squirrel...or any of the dozen or more variations....
That's shocking, he sounds like a one creature crime wave
10-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh yeah, there was also the 50mm f/2.0 lens marked as RARE, but so much stuff on Ebay is "RARE MINTY" these days that that one was just part of the background noise.
10-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, there was also the 50mm f/2.0 lens marked as RARE, but so much stuff on Ebay is "RARE MINTY" these days that that one was just part of the background noise.
VIntage K1000...