Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 06:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Canon PIXMA PRO-100 deal, to buy or not?

Looking at that deal, I'm asking myself again and again, do I really need it?
So far, I'm sometimes happy, sometimes not with photobooks printed in labs, but the idea to have printer at home is kind of attractive. However, it will be not only learning curve, it will be money spending on ink and paper. So, I'm not sure if it worth in general.

My question is for photographers who make own prints. What are benefits of learning printing? Does any photographer need to try it and why?
Sorry if it's stupid question. I'd like to hear stories of how printing at home changed the perspective on photography if it did.

10-16-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Looking at that deal, I'm asking myself again and again, do I really need it?
So far, I'm sometimes happy, sometimes not with photobooks printed in labs, but the idea to have printer at home is kind of attractive. However, it will be not only learning curve, it will be money spending on ink and paper. So, I'm not sure if it worth in general.

My question is for photographers who make own prints. What are benefits of learning printing? Does any photographer need to try it and why?
Sorry if it's stupid question. I'd like to hear stories of how printing at home changed the perspective on photography if it did.
I have the Pro-100. I bought it to print my own occasional larger than 4x6 prints and more importantly my wife's crafts related prints. The quality is excellent and matches or exceeds any lab RGB print.

The problem with the Pro-100 is the killer ink cost. For my smaller Canon MX922 I was able to find after market ink ($12 Canon vs. less than 1$ after market). However, Canon has blocked all third party ink makers from making ink cartridges for the Pro-100. You have to buy Canon ink and a set of inks cost as much as the printer.

BTW, if you decide to the get the printer, buy the Canon Pro Luster paper. It looks identical to a C-print from the lab.
10-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had a printer as long as I've had a computer. It's so handy for me. I print a lot of instructions, etc., for my cameras for a 3 ring notebook. I also print 8x10 photos of some of my favorites, and have them in my computer corner.

There really isn't much of a learning curve to use a printer. Today's printers are pretty much automatic, you can tweek them as you wish, but I've never had to change anything to print. As mentioned, the drawback is the ink cost; but I don't print that much to be a concern for me. I think micro, once you've had one, you will wonder why you didn't have a printer sooner!
10-16-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
The quality is excellent and matches or exceeds any lab RGB print.
I would agree with that! I'm very happy with my Pro-100, and I just finished up the starter ink cartridges that came with it. I've also battled with the idea of spending +$100 every time I have to replace the cartridges, but thankfully, after doing quite a bit of research, I have found what looks like a viable option. I've already ordered a set of ink re-fills from Precision Colors C5B and I'll be experimenting with how well I do at saving 6x the money vs. buying from Canon.

I came across an excellent forum called PrinterKnowledge.com which confirmed what I was already thinking, that the difference between Canon's genuine ink, and PC's closely matched 3rd party ink, is well worth the savings. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I will get to in a few days, when my re-fills arrive.

10-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The quality is excellent and matches or exceeds any lab RGB print.
This sounds promising. I'd like to go for bigger side printer to do own canvas and stretch them mysef, and maybe add my own frames (if I will not be lazy to do that )
So far canvas samples at Cosco did not excite me at all, it should be better somewhere, or will it be better with canon pro? I don't know.
10-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
I would agree with that! I'm very happy with my Pro-100, and I just finished up the starter ink cartridges that came with it. I've also battled with the idea of spending +$100 every time I have to replace the cartridges, but thankfully, after doing quite a bit of research, I have found what looks like a viable option. I've already ordered a set of ink re-fills from Precision Colors C5B and I'll be experimenting with how well I do at saving 6x the money vs. buying from Canon.

I came across an excellent forum called PrinterKnowledge.com which confirmed what I was already thinking, that the difference between Canon's genuine ink, and PC's closely matched 3rd party ink, is well worth the savings. I haven't actually tried it yet, but I will get to in a few days, when my re-fills arrive.
Please let me now how it woks out. My Pro-100 has been sitting idle for some time now. I did buy some refill bottle buy never got the chip resetter. Let me know how your set up work. I might give it a try again.
10-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've had a printer as long as I've had a computer. It's so handy for me. I print a lot of instructions, etc., for my cameras for a 3 ring notebook. I also print 8x10 photos of some of my favorites, and have them in my computer corner.
I do have hp printer/scaner, and I've never liked pictures printed with it.

---------- Post added 10-16-15 at 07:51 AM ----------

I would agree with that! I'm very happy with my Pro-100, and I just finished up the starter ink cartridges that came with it.
Do you remember how many prints it covered?

10-16-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Remember, if you don't have one already, to get a monitor calibrator.
It is crucial in my opinion if you want to get what is on your screen on to the paper.
10-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Remember, if you don't have one already, to get a monitor calibrator.
Yes, if I go for printer, I will upgrade calibrator. It has been a while since I printed pictures with calibrated monitor on ordinary printer, and I did not like the quality of print anyway.
10-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you remember how many prints it covered?
Now that is one issue that I don't have much experience with, being that I've only used one set of cartridges... However, I do know that it depends a lot on how often you use it. If you only turn it on once a month and print a few 4x6's then you're very likely better off printing them at Walmart or Costco. (At least price-wise...) Canon printers just eat ink every time you turn it on. So if you want to get maximum coverage out of your cartridges, then definitely let your print orders pile up, and print a bunch at once, instead of spreading them out over several months.

I personally feel that I got very poor "mileage" from my set of cartridges, but I used it very sporadically, so that would easily explain it. I think I will have a larger order soon, so maybe I'll get a better estimate on the next run.

---------- Post added Oct 16th, 2015 at 11:04 ----------

Please let me now how it woks out. My Pro-100 has been sitting idle for some time now. I did buy some refill bottle buy never got the chip resetter. Let me know how your set up work. I might give it a try again.
Sure, I'll try to remember to post back later, and let you all know how it works out. From the sounds of it, lot's of people do it all the time, so I imagine it's quite easy.
10-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
However, I do know that it depends a lot on how often you use it. If you only turn it on once a month and print a few 4x6's then you're very likely better off printing them at Walmart or Costco. (At least price-wise...) Canon printers just eat ink every time you turn it on. So if you want to get maximum coverage out of your cartridges, then definitely let your print orders pile up, and print a bunch at once, instead of spreading them out over several months..
Thanks for the tips, it's good to learn on someone's mistakes Printing 4x6, even in mass quantity is not the reason to have printer and spend money on ink, imo. I wonder about decent wall decor out of own pictures. Ordering printed canvas is not cheap.
10-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

This sounds promising. I'd like to go for bigger side printer to do own canvas and stretch them mysef, and maybe add my own frames (if I will not be lazy to do that )
So far canvas samples at Cosco did not excite me at all, it should be better somewhere, or will it be better with canon pro? I don't know.
i have printed my fair share of canvas in the past. It is my preferred surface to print on. I stretch them on either standard ready-made bars or I make my own. The advantage of the stretched canvas is that you do not have to frame them (adding cost).

I have been resisting the purchase of a real large format printer. I owned two of them (Epson 24" and HP 36" printers) in the past. If you do not use the large format printers regularly, the heads dry up and it becomes a nightmare trying to unclog them.

BTW, my own printed canvas has much better color and it exceeds anything COSTCO can print.
10-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, if you're looking for larger prints, the Pro-100 has got you covered all the way up to 13"x19" (You should get a free pack of 13x19 paper with the printer). Unfortunately, I don't think it will print on canvas Actually, from a quick search online, I see a few vague references to printing on canvas, so you might be able to give it a go.

How can I print using canvas type paper on my PIXM... - Canon Community

Printing canvas on Canon Pro 1: Printers and Printing Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-16-2015, 08:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, if I go for printer, I will upgrade calibrator. It has been a while since I printed pictures with calibrated monitor on ordinary printer, and I did not like the quality of print anyway.
If you are going to print critical color work, in addition to the monitor, you have to calibrate (profile) your printer too.

I have profiled my Canon MX922. I borrowed my friend's profiler to do it. You need to profile your ink and each paper combo especially with aftermarket ink. It will cost you. So you have to add up all the costs and see if it justifies printing your work in-house.

For me the convenience and the print quality justify the cost up to a point. In the case of the smaller MX922, it paid off. In the case of the Pro-100 with its expensive original ink replacement, it was not worth the cost.

---------- Post added 10-16-15 at 08:27 AM ----------

Well, if you're looking for larger prints, the Pro-100 has got you covered all the way up to 13"x19" (You should get a free pack of 13x19 paper with the printer). Unfortunately, I don't think it will print on canvas Actually, from a quick search online, I see a few vague references to printing on canvas, so you might be able to give it a go.

How can I print using canvas type paper on my PIXM... - Canon Community

Printing canvas on Canon Pro 1: Printers and Printing Forum: Digital Photography Review
Good point there. My reference to printing canvas was on 24" and larger printers. I have never printed canvas on Pro-100.
10-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If you are going to print critical color work, in addition to the monitor, you have to calibrate (profile) your printer too.

I have profiled my Canon MX922. I borrowed my friend's profiler to do it. You need to profile your ink and each paper combo especially with aftermarket ink. It will cost you. So you have to add up all the costs and see if it justifies printing your work in-house.
Good point, thanks. I checked the site, Easy canvas print, their pricing for canvas, 12x18 inches on sale: $128.56 $64.28 (0.75 inch) $167.13 $73.57 (1.5 inch) $141.97 $77.69 (framed).

So, in theory is not a bad idea to print own canvas.