Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

I tried to support my local camera store(s)

I'm still relatively new to my DA 15 and wanted to add an 8 or 10 stop ND filter.

Camera store 1: The only 49mm ND filter they had was a variable ND. Some knockoff brand name. Would it have a color cast? Would it vignette? I was going to test before buying it, but then I noticed it won't even fit on the DA 15 due to the sliding hood. They offered to order a different filter if I knew what I wanted but that would require a return visit to the store to pick it up.

Camera store 2: All they had was a Vivitar pack of UV, CPL, and 4-stop ND. Total cost for all three was $9.95 (not a pricing error, less than $3.33 per filter). I like a bargain as much as anyone but at that price the quality can't be good. I didn't even bother testing in-store because 4 stops are not enough. Store advised me to check Amazon when I got home.

I just wanted to support the local guys a bit, but I keep striking out whenever I visit those stores for accessories (they don't stock Pentax so I can't get lenses or bodies there).

10-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, at least you have a local camera store! The two that were here, closed years ago.
10-18-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like my local store. I bought a variable nd and it had weird dark spots in the image. The guy looked at me like I was retarded when I returned it. It was some off brand as well. I never go in there anymore unless I need like a lens cloth. Though their main store does stock pentax but it's not the one near me.
10-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

The last store nearby started specializing in Olympus and had a 400+% markup on memory cards and other things compared to amazon, b&h, adorama.

I'd like to support local brick and mortar stores, but I can't justify paying 80 bucks for an average SD card that would cost me 15 bucks online...

10-18-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Yes it's frustrating trying to support the local camera store and they have almost no selection to choose from. About strong ND filters, it's best to get a better one and spend the extra $$$. A cheap 8 or 10 stop ND is not going to block much infrared light-only visible light. Different digital cameras will react to the infrared pollution differently. I have Formatt Hitech Firecrest 10 stop ND filters in 58 and 77mm sizes. They're great-color cast is minimal on all of my cameras. B&H Photo has 8 or 10 stop Firecrests in 49mm size for 100usd. And the Firecrests are slim so there's less chance of vignetting on a wide angle lens. However, even though they're slim, you can put a lens cap on the front of them.

Last edited by TheLens; 10-18-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
10-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is tough to support, especially as a Pentax shooter. I am fortunate to have a good local store that has a lot of great used PK lenses
10-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, at least you have a local camera store! The two that were here, closed years ago.
Same here! Now I can buy online, or at double the price in my nearest city. No wonder the local shops go extinct.

10-18-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The only thing a local camera store can offer is the ability to try out a few lenses when I stop by. And none of them do that anymore, so why would I pay their higher prices? I'm willing to pay a higher price if can try before I buy. Hell, I'll even rent. But the post office is much closer than the closest camera store. The guy in Huntsville offered to order and price match. But, ordering on line is faster, and I don't have to pick it up an hour away.
10-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Hell, I'll even rent.
I have had great experiences renting lenses for special occasion, or just to try out.
10-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is where MAP pricing is critical. Minimum Advertized Pricing when enforced, can protect the small guys from the monsters online. If Pentax ever wants to get back into bricks and mortar, they are going to have to get this going. Here in the US, Pentax played with this idea to disastrous effect. Instead of implenting MAP at the then current street prices, they instituted MAP at List prices which basically meant an increase of 50% or more. The sales drought that followed was all too predictable.

If they want to implement MAP, MAP has to be based on competitive street prices at the time. The manufacturer may have to lower cost for a little while to make it worth the small stores to build up inventory. Then small annual price increases in both MAP and distributor cost gets the manufacturer to where they want to be price wise. This has to be done over a long period, because large price increases just piss people off and get them to find other brands.

Pentax / Ricoh need to get this figured out soon if they ever want to build a real network where people can get their hands on their cameras and rise above their third class position in the market. Only then will they begin to get traction IMO.
10-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
This is where MAP pricing is critical.
Vagrant...If you are still in Portland, you are probably aware that Camera World will match online pricing though they will deduct a premium if you return for other than defect.

Steve
10-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's only one camera shop here but they don't handle Pentax (or Sigma). I buy 'pods & stuff from them from time to time but my sense of loyalty is pretty limited.
10-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sadly it is difficult for a local brick and mortar store to generate enough business to have really low prices. They will have to be in a large metropolitan area to have enough potential customers or do a fair amount of business on line ( or both). The CaNikon MAPs commonly provide around 10% margin. Any price drops generally require the store to provide serial numbers to get credit toward purchase of new product. You have to sell a lot of product to stay in business with a 10% margin. Stores commonly try to sell other services etc. to stay going.
10-19-2015, 04:12 AM   #14

Perhaps due to the import duties and high courier costs to get to me in South Africa, I support my local B&M. No, they don't keep stock of Pentax, but they get it pretty quickly. They are more expensive than importing from B&H, but when you add in the VAT, customs duty and courier costs, that margin is lower. The main reason is for returns. I sent back 2 K5's that were faulty. No cost to me. If I had saved $100 buying from B&H, it would have cost me 4 lots of about $60 courier costs as well as the hassle of getting it through the border.
10-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Timd Quote
Perhaps due to the import duties and high courier costs to get to me in South Africa, I support my local B&M. No, they don't keep stock of Pentax, but they get it pretty quickly. They are more expensive than importing from B&H, but when you add in the VAT, customs duty and courier costs, that margin is lower. The main reason is for returns. I sent back 2 K5's that were faulty. No cost to me. If I had saved $100 buying from B&H, it would have cost me 4 lots of about $60 courier costs as well as the hassle of getting it through the border.
Does Shaps Cameraland still exist? (long Street, Cape Town) They used to stock Pentax. Bought my SFX from them, and many lenses - years back. Yes, import duty has always been a thing to consider in RSA. Sorry to hear you had two dud K-5's!