Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
My wife hired a pro to take some portraits/headshots she needed for publication. We got the photos today and...is it us or these photos aren't exactly professional quality? Her eyes are dark on all of them, some appear to be not in focus at all? These are the finished products he sent us. In retrospect, the two shots below I took on a whim on the front porch while she still had her makeup on - (Yes, that is a wind chime and flag post in the background, LOL). I did it with a K5/DA*50-135. I used a Metz-48 bounced on wall – I may have overpowered it a bit though. He shot with a D610. What do you guys think, are we being too picky?
I first thought that maybe the photographer slid the clarity slider way left trying to soften things, but as I study it further, I think the camera focus calibration is way off. In the first shot it appears that your wife's bracelet is in focus, indicating to me that the camera was front focusing by quite a lot. Shooting at such wide apertures (especially f/1.4 on the pro's last shot) on full frame makes things even worse. I think the only remedy would be a reshoot - these photos aren't salvageable unless downsized and used as little thumbnails on a web page.

That's my 2 cents...
Daryl

10-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Focus is too far infront on every one of the "pro" shots, on the first one it is acceptable but not good. The full body one is amazingly blurry and a weird compostition.
10-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

My style is more in the documentary and sporting events that's why we decided on a pro for her portraits.
Unforgivable. Change the style and do fashion shooting of your beautiful wife.
If she has paid for a pro makeup, that was a waste with a pro photographer. Seriously, why bother to put a makeup with such a result. Your work is definitely better. I like however the third picture, perhaps you can come back to that place and do better job.
10-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Looks to me like his camera front focuses. Ask for retakes. Could be focus screen issues if he was shooting manual.. or AF is off a bit if he used that technique. I don't think eyes are too dark just out of focus and no definition so the dark parts run into each other.
That seems to be the case. I shoot for a living and the first thing I do when I get a new lens is test the lens focus and do fine tune adjustment if needed. Work like this is what hurts those of us putting time, effort and money into bringing the the best quality work to our clients.

10-24-2015, 08:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Sorry to say that I am not impressed of the work done by the professional you hired, I guess expect more IMHO.
10-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I feel that the first one would have been better if the hands weren't cropped out.
Catch lights in the eyes would have gone a long way in all the pics IMHO. As a pro he should have know how to position her to have catch lights or used a tiny bit of flash to put a bit of sparkle in her eyes.
F4 would have been a wiser choice.
I find your first shot was excellent and the only thing that could be improved in the last one is if you put her further away from the background and at least give it some blur. Maybe a simple background?
Anyways by the looks of these pics yours stand above the pros
BTW I looked over the pros pics again and the shadows in her eyes are not the most flattering
Randy
Thanks, Randy. On my second photo, you're right. She was leaning on the fence and almost got the slats in focus. Our blue trash bin is also visible in the background between the slats
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
The ones you took look definitely sharper than the others.
I wish I brought the 50-135 with me during the shoot.
QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
I first thought that maybe the photographer slid the clarity slider way left trying to soften things, but as I study it further, I think the camera focus calibration is way off. In the first shot it appears that your wife's bracelet is in focus, indicating to me that the camera was front focusing by quite a lot. Shooting at such wide apertures (especially f/1.4 on the pro's last shot) on full frame makes things even worse. I think the only remedy would be a reshoot - these photos aren't salvageable unless downsized and used as little thumbnails on a web page.

That's my 2 cents...
Daryl
Thanks, Daryl. Unfortunately you're right, these photos aren't salvageable, maybe if he converts them to B&W? I don't know.
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Focus is too far infront on every one of the "pro" shots, on the first one it is acceptable but not good. The full body one is amazingly blurry and a weird compostition.
....I can't get past that door....
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Unforgivable. Change the style and do fashion shooting of your beautiful wife.
If she has paid for a pro makeup, that was a waste with a pro photographer. Seriously, why bother to put a makeup with such a result. Your work is definitely better. I like however the third picture, perhaps you can come back to that place and do better job.
Unfortunately yes, she did pay for a pro makeup. Actually, we're thinking of re-shooting at the same location with me doing it instead - changing my style

---------- Post added 10-24-15 at 09:10 PM ----------

aleonx3 - don't be sorry. I heard the disappointment in my wife's voice when she mentioned she got the photos. Sure enough when I saw them...
10-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #22
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are clear reasons to be disappointed with the first 3 shots. Each one has something that isn't right, and makes the shot not usable for the reasons it was taken.
The issues with the shots aren't minor.

Whether your shots are good enough for what your wife needs, or if they first need a bit of tweaking is a separate issue. But they at least are good enough to make something usable out of them.

10-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Nice photos from the pro, but he missed focus on all of them, either that or screwed up badly in post.

Steve
10-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #24
DHA
Forum Member

Hmmm...I certainly hope you didn't pay that pro imposter for your wife's images. Hell, they're terrible...OOF, terrible light, etc., etc. Yours are better...a little strong on sharpness in the close up, but definitely better. Don
10-25-2015, 06:44 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Catch lights in the eyes would have gone a long way in all the pics IMHO. As a pro he should have know how to position her to have catch lights or used a tiny bit of flash to put a bit of sparkle in her eyes.
That's what I'm thinking, too. Plus, the backgrounds aren't quite right in any of the pics. Close...but not quite there.
10-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: The pro said there's not much he can do to salvage the shots and offered a re-shoot plus refunding 75% cost of the second makeup. He mentioned if we encounter the same problem again he'll offer a full refund. Realizing the issues one can hope he can address and correct them, fingers crossed...
10-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you paid for this "pro" assignment?

I would also be quite peeved with those results and you have done a better job than the "pro".
10-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Update: The pro said there's not much he can do to salvage the shots and offered a re-shoot plus refunding 75% cost of the second makeup. He mentioned if we encounter the same problem again he'll offer a full refund. Realizing the issues one can hope he can address and correct them, fingers crossed...

That sounds more than reasonable. However, you might give him some of your specific concerns so he can deal with them.
10-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Yours are much better, more full of life and better poses too. Lovely wife!

Let this be a lesson to those that hire O.T. Squirrel..Ote Squirrel...Otie Squirrel... or any of the other many aliases used by Otis Squirrel to make a buck. Whether it is buying camera gear, truckloads of roasted peanuts, or any of the other many products and services he offers, you have to know you are being scammed.
I have posted warnings here many times, yet a few remain that haven't seen them or simply ignore them thinking they are getting a bargain. PM me and I will do my best to get your lovely wife a refund....although Otis' refund process can take over a year to complete.

Regards!
10-25-2015, 08:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I too thought the clarity slider was overused but then it looks like her sweater is in focus on one shot. I think your photos are much better, mostly because I see a personality and I like the coloring better. And the lighting

And I don't know if anyone has commented about the windchime, but that is kind of neat because it frames her head. Maybe it is a huge no-no, but I like it!

Just think though, he handed those over as being acceptable, and that is a shame. I am no pro, but I would not hand over photos that looked like to a paid client.