Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2015, 08:42 PM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ran into my first Pentaxian today...

besides myself, of course. I had to hug her because it was so nice to see I wasn't the only one!

Unfortunately, she was supposed to be photographing my uncle's wedding (Photog was his wife's sister-in-law, not a pro or anything)... and her K-7 had apparently fallen off a table or something earlier that day. (or more precisely, her husband's K-7... he's the normal photographer, but he was in the wedding party and couldn't be behind the camera).

It looked OK, the screen was working and everything, but she couldn't get the shutter to release... and we figured this out just before the bride stepped into view. So I got drafted into photographing yet another wedding despite my "I don't do weddings" policy. lol.

All I had was my K3 with the 50-135, and a pouch with the 31 ltd and 15 ltd (using the op/tech double lens cap). No flash except the in-camera one. Thankfully, even though it was an outdoor wedding, on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, in late afternoon, the sky was so overcast that everything was lit really well and I didn't really *need* a fill flash.

Anyway -- yay, I met a wild Pentaxian. Felt I needed to share that

10-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I meet a new one every now and then and know plenty. Maybe I am like a magnet?
10-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
All I had was my K3 with the 50-135, and a pouch with the 31 ltd and 15 ltd
That's too bad Too bad you didn't have something pro grade like a Rebel with a kit lens. <sarcasm font for the challenged>

As far as others, I met one at the last festival I was at, he had two others with him. I work with one. And I have a daughter with a kx and a son wit a K-50. I've actually seen quite a few in the last couple of years, before that it was very rare.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 10-24-2015 at 09:48 PM.
10-25-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never met another pentaxian but I've met a few guys that had nikons and said they wished they would've bought a pentax instead. So that kind of counts one guy actualy works at the local camera store. I actually just bought my 12-24 lens from a guy about 20 miles away from my city. And, a few months ago, there was a news story that some guy left his pentax gear in a parking lot by accident and someone stole it. It happened in the next city over from me.

---------- Post added 10-25-15 at 04:45 AM ----------

So there's a few floating around the cleveland area.

10-25-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I bumped into one who noticed my K-50 and commented that he had just acquired a K-S2 (this when that model had just become available). And last month I found one carrying a K-3 with the 18-135 out to shoot pictures of Pope Francis' visit to Philadelphia.
10-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally ran into a fellow Pentaxian at Yellowstone National Park in 2013. We were in line waiting to order food. I had a K5 and K5-IIs. He was using a Spotmatic. The only one I have ever seen in the wild in the modern era.
10-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

Not to show off, but There are three of us in my local photo club. We're still a minority, but at least not everyone rolls their eyes when I talk about my K-3.

10-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I met one last year!
She was part of a local newspaper shooting with a K-100D.
10-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
That's too bad Too bad you didn't have something pro grade like a Rebel with a kit lens. <sarcasm font for the challenged>

As far as others, I met one at the last festival I was at, he had two others with him. I work with one. And I have a daughter with a kx and a son wit a K-50. I've actually seen quite a few in the last couple of years, before that it was very rare.
yeah, yeah, I suppose that's true. But I didn't pack any extra batteries (I was down to a sliver before we left) or a flash (which would have been very useful), and I'd probably have used my 28-75 on the K5 and 50-135 on the K3.
10-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The only ones I've met are the ones I've made. 5 of them so far.
10-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
The only ones I've met are the ones I've made. 5 of them so far.
Me too Not too many of us out-there, however the quality is better than quantity
10-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I meet a new one every now and then and know plenty. Maybe I am like a magnet?
Same here. We're rare, but not that rare.

Good of the OP to step up and save the wedding day