Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

When is it time to upgrade?

Hello everyone,

Its been a long time since I've posted on here. Since about a year ago I've been shooting real estate professionally and my trusty k5 has been a pleasure to work with besides the low light auto focus and now a slight issue with run away shutter when bracketing. My question is when is it time to throw in the towel and sell my k5 for $2-- hopefully and upgrade to a k3? Whats your guys opinions? I also shoot with a drone and it might be time to upgrade for that as well....

11-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If photography is a hobby, then upgrade when something new you want comes out.

If photography is a business, then upgrade when the current equipment fails to do the job or when new equipment could do it better or faster. In your business plan allow for amortization of equipment in your pricing and replace when needed. For example, lets say you do one job per week and allocate $50 of each job's invoice to the equipment fund. At the end of the year you have $2,500 to replace or buy new equipment. Just example numbers, plug in your own.
11-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #3
KDD
Veteran Member

645z????
11-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if you've got the money to burn, upgrade when ever you dang well feel like it.
Otherwise, if you feel you need to justify your purchase, upgrade when there is something you want to achieve that is not possible with your current gear.

11-04-2015, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Whenever whatever I currently own will not do something I need to do.

Right now I need to downgrade.
11-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When do you need low light autofocus for real estate work? ;-)
How about a ricoh theta? That would add an extra trick up the sleeve at moderate cost - seems like they had real estate in mind when they designed it.
11-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

Generally, I find it best to stay at least one whole version behind the current.. as a result, the cost to purchase is lower, the recalls have (largely been) recalled, and the firmware is mature.

11-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Now!!!
11-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
Hello everyone,

Its been a long time since I've posted on here. Since about a year ago I've been shooting real estate professionally and my trusty k5 has been a pleasure to work with besides the low light auto focus and now a slight issue with run away shutter when bracketing. My question is when is it time to throw in the towel and sell my k5 for $2-- hopefully and upgrade to a k3? Whats your guys opinions? I also shoot with a drone and it might be time to upgrade for that as well....
Yup, now. The K-3 has dropped significantly in price

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
Hello everyone,

I would buy your K-5 for $2. Hell, I will even pay twice that price.
11-05-2015, 01:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I upgrade when I can find a good deal on a camera body that offers some features my current body does not have.
11-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input, since ice had my son that's now 1year old I've only been out shooting a hand full of times for pleasure. On the other hand I've had between 1-6 shoots a month since doing real estate. My k5 lately when I bracket for hdr processing has been randomly firing continually when I'm just trying to do 3 shoot bracketing. It will take 4-10 shots before stopping and it seems like it's getting worse not to mention the autofocus is an issue in low light sometimes.

A 645z is out of the question and really I'd have no use for it.Lol

Has anyone had experience with the k3 for real estate? I'm tempted to go full frame at times but I though typically you can get a wider angle from a cropped sensor?
11-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You get a wider angle from full frame...

A cropped sensor means the image is more 'cropped' than from a 35mm frame.

645 would be an even wider angle.
11-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #14

Original Poster
But that also means selling off my Pentax to go with nikon probably. Which I'm not to fond of the idea.... And for the price difference it's even harder for me to justify it because my shots have been comparable to fullframe
11-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The pentax FF will be available in spring.
What lenses have you got, as more than likely there not compatible with FF anyway.