Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax Extended warranty address changed???

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

I sent in my K-30 to be fixed under the extended warranty.

Today I received my package back because the delivery was refused.

I called them up and asked why and it turns out that the address has changed.

I asked them how I was supposed to know this and also asked why they didn't inform everybody that had an extended warranty. They said that it would be impractical to do so.

Then I asked them if I could get a pre-paid shipping label to send it in. They said no.

I then asked them if they could waive the $19.95 return shipping/handling fee and they said I could leave it out and then try to get them to waive it once they refused to send it back to me. They also tried to clain it is not a shipping/handling fee and is an extended warranty fee despite what the warranty card says.

Then I asked to talk to a supervisor and they would only say that they could have a supervisor call me back. So now I am waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

All in all, this customer service experience has been pretty horrible. If this is how Ricoh is going to handle stuff, I may just end up switching brands at some point.

Anybody have any idea how I can get this resolved in a favorable way and not have to dish out another almost $20 to ship it to them again?

11-09-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax service center was changed last year, but this was never announced, which is a mistake on Ricoh's part (but that's just life).

Precision camera in CT now handles all Pentax warranty work. CRIS can no longer repair any Pentax product.
Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation - Service & Repair

Thankfully, they don't charge for return shipping.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They said I still have to send in the $19.95 check as an extended warranty fee. So they just changed the name from "shipping & handling" to "extended warranty fee"?

I hope the supervisor actually calls me back and can set something up so they will waive it. Or maybe that is their way of pretending to handle it by saying that they will waive it when in reality it isn't supposed to be there in the first place.

Edit: from what it looks like to me on Precision Camera's site, there is not supposed to be any fee or return shipping charge for warranty or extended warranty repairs.

Going to email them and see what they say about it.

Edit2: Their contact-us --> email us link doesn't work. This is just awesome.

Last edited by cyclone3d; 11-09-2015 at 01:32 PM.
11-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I was able to send an email to Precision Camera from their main page. The one at this link doesn't work:
Contact Us

"Hi, I just have a few questions and a comment.

I am needing to get my Pentax K-30 repaired under extended warranty.

I purchased the extended warranty when CRIS was still doing Pentax repairs.

Before coming to your main page I tried using the email us link here:
Contact Us

It doesn't work.

Now, as for the warranty repair, the extended warranty card says to include a check for $19.95 for return shipping/handling.

I talked to Pentax as well as the pentaxforums.com owner and both said that return shipping is free now.

But, I was told by Pentax that I still have to include a $19.95 check as an extended warranty fee? Is this true?

From what I could find on the terms and conditions page, that doesn't look to be correct.
http://www.precisioncamera.com/Ricoh/terms-conditions_Ricoh.html
"

11-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The Pentax service center was changed last year, but this was never announced, which is a mistake on Ricoh's part (but that's just life).

Precision camera in CT now handles all Pentax warranty work. CRIS can no longer repair any Pentax product.

Thankfully, they don't charge for return shipping.
I think they are located in Connecticut.
11-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Let us know what they say! Since standard warranty repairs have no return shipping fee I don't see why extended ones would.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So a Ricoh supervisor did call me back. He said I could leave out the check and to include a note about the shipping problem and they would decide what to do once it is there... this sounds really sketchy to me, especially since absolutely nothing about it is included in the standard instructions that he sent me.

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting RICOH.

I recommend (for US residents only)

you return your camera directly to RICOH Imaging America’s main service facility at the

address listed below for repair. You can use the Repair Quote link on the shop’s website,

www.precisioncamera.com, to register your equipment for repair. You can call Precision

Camera. @ 860-272-2100

Be sure to use adequate packing material to prevent damage during shipping, and have the

parcel insured. Please include a note describing the problem and give your name, return

shipping address, and telephone number. For initial tracking purposes, please note the

serial number of your equipment for your own records.

If your camera is within the warranty period, (one year from the original date of purchase

from an authorized dealer), please supply us with a dated proof of purchase, and a request

for warranty service. If the RICOH/PENTAX Extended Warranty covers your camera, please

supply us with a copy of your Extended Warranty Card. Providing your camera has not been

misused or abused and the problem is due to a manufacturer's defect, your camera will be

repaired and returned to you without charge.

If your warranty period has expired, or if the repair is not covered under the terms of this

warranty, the Repair Quote charge would apply. If the cost of repair is going to exceed the

amount in the Repair Quote for your product the shop will require your approval to proceed

with the repair. Upon approval (and payment in full) of the estimate, we will proceed with

the repair. Approvals may be given by phone with a Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. If you

decide against the repair estimate, your camera will be returned to you for a $12.50

shipping and handling charge.

Repair times will vary depending on the time of year.

Contact, Drop-Off and Shipping Info Contact Information
www.precisioncamera.com/ricoh/
Customer Service Phone: 860-272-2100
Customer Service Phone Hours:
Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM ET – 5:00 PM ET

Shipping and Drop-Off Address:
Precision Camera
7 Anngina Drive
Enfield, CT 06082

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,

RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
PHONE: 800.234.0276 / 800.877.0155
I am still waiting to hear back from Precision Camera.

11-10-2015, 02:43 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
I asked them how I was supposed to know this and also asked why they didn't inform everybody that had an extended warranty. They said that it would be impractical to do so.
By checking the Ricoh US website first, which clearly shows who the current repair center is. What's the saying "Look before you leap"? Not all the blame is attributable to Ricoh. If you moved or changed your contact information since purchasing your extended warranty would you have notified Ricoh?

Repairs | Ricoh Imaging

QuoteQuote:
Repairs
If you need any repairs done to your Ricoh or Pentax product, please use the following link to utilize our repair service through Precision Camera. Precision accepts in and out of warranty products.

I would advice you read Precision's Terms of Service too:

Terms & Conditions

All in all, this customer service experience has been pretty horrible. If this is how Ricoh is going to handle stuff, I may just end up switching brands at some point.
A threat is meaningless unless you intend on carrying it out. If Adam charged a nickel ever time somebody posts this he'd be a rich man in a short time. Maybe he should copyright the various phrasings and charge royalties.

I am still waiting to hear back from Precision Camera.
Given Precision's track record on communications I would not hold my breath. Usually one needs to get Ricoh on your side to expedite matters with Precision.

Good customer service is exception rather than the rule these days, unfortunately.

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-10-2015 at 02:58 AM.
11-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then I asked them if I could get a pre-paid shipping label to send it in. They said no.
Since you sent your camera into a place that no longer does warranty work, doubtful they would give a pre-paid shipping label to send it in to the correct repair facility. Not their fault at all.

I'm assuming that along with the camera that you included a copy of your purchase receipt, along with a copy of your extended warranty & proof of purchase of it. This is what I would do, if I'm unfortunate enough to have to send mine in for repair.
11-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Since you sent your camera into a place that no longer does warranty work, doubtful they would give a pre-paid shipping label to send it in to the correct repair facility. Not their fault at all.

I'm assuming that along with the camera that you included a copy of your purchase receipt, along with a copy of your extended warranty & proof of purchase of it. This is what I would do, if I'm unfortunate enough to have to send mine in for repair.
I called Ricoh before sending in the camera because the warranty card did not say who to make the check out to.

They did not mention an address change or the fact that they no longer charge a return shipping fee.

Either they are trying to make it harder for people to get warranty repair or their support people don't have a clue as to what is going on.

Yes, I guess I should have looked at their web page, but it didn't occur to me at the time since I called them about it first.

And yes, I included all the requested documentation in the package.

And this is also the first time I have ever had to send in something for warranty repair where there is no required interaction with the company before sending it in.

The standard process is to contact the company and get an RMA number.

Then they generally email you packaging instructions as well as the address to ship it to.

Last edited by cyclone3d; 11-11-2015 at 08:25 AM.
11-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I called Ricoh before sending in the camera because the warranty card did not say who to make the check out to.
Why would payment be required on a product still under warranty?
11-11-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Why would payment be required on a product still under warranty?
The original method required that you pay for return shipping and handling.
11-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Uncle!
12-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so a couple days ago I filled out their web form requesting an update on my camera and what the expected completion date is.

My camera was delivered on 11/18/2015 and I hadn't heard anything at all from them.

Today I received an email from them saying that I have to pay them $206 to repair my camera. No mention of why or anything.

Trying to get in contact with them to find out what is going on, but nobody is picking up at the number they sent me in the email.

Their phone number is:
860-272-2100.

they only have two option to speak to somebody:
8 to approve repair /provide payment information
0 talk to customer support

After I finally got ahold of somebody they said that they didn't receive the invoice with the shipment which I know without a doubt was in there along with all the other paperwork I sent in with it.

So I am going to have to email the invoice over to them once I am home.
12-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, so a couple days ago I filled out their web form requesting an update on my camera and what the expected completion date is.

My camera was delivered on 11/18/2015 and I hadn't heard anything at all from them.

Today I received an email from them saying that I have to pay them $206 to repair my camera. No mention of why or anything.

Trying to get in contact with them to find out what is going on, but nobody is picking up at the number they sent me in the email.

Their phone number is:
860-272-2100.

they only have two option to speak to somebody:
8 to approve repair /provide payment information
0 talk to customer support

After I finally got ahold of somebody they said that they didn't receive the invoice with the shipment which I know without a doubt was in there along with all the other paperwork I sent in with it.

So I am going to have to email the invoice over to them once I am home.
This is very sad; I would be more than upset with this situation, with all the necessary paperwork included.