Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 09:57 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax in my Adventure Photography workflow

Hey Pentatians! AKA, my favorite group on the internet!

I will start this thread with the intent to share my workflow and talk about how I incorporate Pentax into my Adventure Photography workflow! I created this thread (LINK) a while ago and it gained some traction, so I thought I would start another regarding my other favorable genre, Adventure Photography! This thread will be light and fun but I encourage feedback or questions!

Link to my website
Link to my Adventure Map
  • Pentax k5
  • 31mm ltd,
  • 10-20mm sigma 4-5.6,
  • Da* 55 f/1.4
  • 60-250,
  • Multiple YN560 (nikon mount) flashes
  • YN560 (650 tx) flash controller,
  • Manfroto tripod,
  • Umbrellas,
  • Photoshop
  • lightroom

---------- Post added 11-18-15 at 09:11 PM ----------

As a first post, I'll share three of my most favorite images I've ever captured outdoors.

This image is one of my favorites because the process of getting the photo was such a peaceful time. I woke up early in the morning in City of Rocks and just had time to meditate and think while taking photos. Beautiful time!The Pentax k5 + 60-250mm @ 135mm on a tripod. Iso100, 1/2, f/8.

This shot is special because I had never been 4x4ing before. It was a beautiful sunrise and the fog was just glistening through the trees. It was one of my favorite adventure too! Pentax k5 +31 Ltd

This photo is special too because it was my first time kayaking in the winter (technically Fall). But this adventure opened my eyes to the beauty that winter (again, technically Fall) has near the water that you can't see from land. Pentax K5 + 60-250. i'll be honest... Lots of editing in Photoshop to get what I saw and the colors accurate.

11-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

Nice photos Scoot. If you shoot in RAW, I understand the lots of editing. Enjoy the adventure.
11-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Rad website.... Pentax users are definitely more adventurous then our counterparts.... The rugged durability of our cameras shows in its users and photos.... Awesome shots. You got an Instagram Account?
11-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome photos Scoot.

11-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots! All three are very appealing. Makes me want to do those things. Except maybe winter kayaking! I have done that in early spring where we slid down snow banks to put in. Brrr!
Adventure photography is close to my heart and your shots represent the genre well.
11-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tstaxs Quote
Rad website.... Pentax users are definitely more adventurous then our counterparts.... The rugged durability of our cameras shows in its users and photos.... Awesome shots. You got an Instagram Account?
Yeah! ScottConover is my insta! Send me a message and I'll follow you!
11-27-2015, 11:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hot Springs for a Cold Fall! Blog LINK!

Pentax Info: For this image I used a Pentax K5, Pentax 31 LTD 1.8 @ f/11 (1/8th & 1/25th).
Post Processing: This image I composited two images. I pen-tooled around the truck to separate it from the environment. The sky was bland and the mountain needed some attention, so I applied the Orton effect and brought the color back to what I remember. Got rid of lens spots ( my sensor is filthy right now / poor college student). Then using TKActions, exported to 1000x1050 which finalizes sharpening and general levels.

11-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Link to blog Post

Pentax info:
This image was a composite of two images: 1) To capture the highlights, one exposure perfectly capturing the bright trees. 2) a long exposure with the Lee Big stopper (10ND filter).
Post processing:
Loaded and aligned both images in PS. Then worked on bringing attention to the aspects I wanted with color, saturation, and dodging and burning.
12-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heading home! Going to get some rad shots in Oregon and the Oregon Coast I hope.
12-28-2015, 02:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oregon Coast with the K5

Here's one from my recent trip back home in Oregon to Manzanita Beach. We have a cabin there, but I decided to camp out near the beach.

Pentax Info:
This photo below was shot with the K5, tripod, and the 31mm LTD at f/16 1sec iso 100. The rain was coming down and although the 31ltd is not WR or DA*, the lens held up well to the rain.
Post Processing: I brought it into photoshop and barely needed any adjustments. Recently I've been on a warm-cool kick so I edited a little orange to the sky to add warmth. This was achieved by using the gradient tool and having a new layer on "linear dodge" mode - using the circular gradient tool I brought in a little warmth. I used Brilliance and Warmth from NIK Color Efex to cool down the trees. A small amount of adjusting with the levels and the road was perfect. I edited the yellow stripe to pop a little more than in reality.

Last edited by Scootatheschool1990; 12-28-2015 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Blog link
01-19-2016, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax Info: Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20 @10mm f/5.6 (large DOF) iso 400, 1/1500 handheld. I set it to AV and with the exception for only one portion in the sky, the whole DR was retained. I would have liked to shoot at Iso 100 because there was some noise when i post processed.

Post: Lightroom: settings: Highlights to the far left, Shadows 3/4 to the right and a small amount of saturation/ vibrance before importing to photoshop. Also I should mention i used corrective perspective to make the tracks even out vertically.
Photoshop: Using luminosity masks, i brought back highlight and shadow detail even more. I used Luminosity masks to also bring contrast to the tones. Using dodge/ burn I added contrast to the outcroppings on the horizon. A little bit of warmth and coolness to various parts was added to bring more depth/ contrast.

01-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Here's one from my recent trip back home in Oregon to Manzanita Beach. We have a cabin there, but I decided to camp out near the beach.

Pentax Info:
This photo below was shot with the K5, tripod, and the 31mm LTD at f/16 1sec iso 100. The rain was coming down and although the 31ltd is not WR or DA*, the lens held up well to the rain.
Post Processing: I brought it into photoshop and barely needed any adjustments. Recently I've been on a warm-cool kick so I edited a little orange to the sky to add warmth. This was achieved by using the gradient tool and having a new layer on "linear dodge" mode - using the circular gradient tool I brought in a little warmth. I used Brilliance and Warmth from NIK Color Efex to cool down the trees. A small amount of adjusting with the levels and the road was perfect. I edited the yellow stripe to pop a little more than in reality.
Love this. well done.
Believe it or not....been to Manzanita, a mate lives there, nice place. Had an enormous breakfast at a roadside diner....Camp 18 ???...long time ago now.
04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Love this. well done.
Believe it or not....been to Manzanita, a mate lives there, nice place. Had an enormous breakfast at a roadside diner....Camp 18 ???...long time ago now.
Excellent! I hope you get the chance to check it out again![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 04-14-16 at 10:22 AM ----------