Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apparently, We Don't need a New DSLR for Christmas

...at least, we won't be getting a new Pentax 35FF for this Christmas.

Enjoy this article from F-Stoppers. We've all said much the same thing here, from time to time, but it always bears repeating, and you can send the link to people who ask you - "because you know this stuff".

11-26-2015, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
...at least, we won't be getting a new Pentax 35FF for this Christmas.

Enjoy this article from F-Stoppers. We've all said much the same thing here, from time to time, but it always bears repeating, and you can send the link to people who ask you - "because you know this stuff".
We certainly aren't...Pentax said it was coming out in Spring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
We Don't need a New DSLR for Christmas
Read that and thought of this... https://youtu.be/dq4aOaDXIfY?t=72

11-26-2015, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

"I would highly suggest that you stick with Canon or Nikon DSLRs. They are currently the industry standard for DSLRs and their cameras are the easiest to find accessories for. Nikon in particular has never changed their mount so any old Nikon lens will mount to any current Nikon DSLR."

Really?

11-26-2015, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
"I would highly suggest that you stick with Canon or Nikon DSLRs. They are currently the industry standard for DSLRs and their cameras are the easiest to find accessories for. Nikon in particular has never changed their mount so any old Nikon lens will mount to any current Nikon DSLR."

Really?
In truth, there is ignorance...
11-26-2015, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Really?
Just shows how out of touch a pro can be.

You buy an entry level Nikon DSLR like he's urging, the old Nikon screwdrive lenses, they no-workee.

Manual focus awaits the badly advised newbie!
11-26-2015, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

You buy an entry level Nikon DSLR like he's urging, the old Nikon screwdrive lenses, they no-workee.

And if you buy a manual focus lens the meter no-workee. You only get an AI coupler with the D7200 and up.

11-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Did anyone else find this patronising and condescending? When my wife gave me my Kx for Xmas 2010 to photograph the kids I didn't really know how to use it. Then I learnt. Funny about that.
11-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Did anyone else find this patronising and condescending? When my wife gave me my Kx for Xmas 2010 to photograph the kids I didn't really know how to use it. Then I learnt. Funny about that.
Asking someone to learn something is unreasonable now. We live in an age of instantaneous gratification, OB. :-D
11-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Quite right! Lee Morris looks like a pretty young guy. He may be a pro but that only means he gets his paycheck through a camera.
11-26-2015, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
He's probably a Nikon/Canon fan because there was no other 35FF option when he was starting out - there's a main message in there that's more important than the brand stuff, so let's not dwell too much on the sideshow.
11-26-2015, 06:26 PM - 4 Likes   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked out the link. I can see where he is coming from. I don't need a better camera to take better pictures. I need the girl in the bikini to take pictures of. But I won't be getting her for Christmas either

Last edited by PJ1; 11-26-2015 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo
11-26-2015, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"I would highly suggest that you stick with Canon or Nikon DSLRs. They are currently the industry standard for DSLRs and their cameras are the easiest to find accessories for. Nikon in particular has never changed their mount so any old Nikon lens will mount to any current Nikon DSLR." Really?
Imagine a camera brand that has retained the same mount for 40 years! I'll buy that.
11-26-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Well, according to that guy, I'll never need a DSLR. I bought my K-x for a specific reason. One that couldn't be solved by the PnS cameras. The time between pressing the shutter & the picture being taken. Of course, I had no idea the rabbit hole that would lead to.
11-27-2015, 02:08 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I liked the article up until the last chapter when he showed his ignorance in recommending a buyer stick with Nik or Can. This shows a lack of research on his part, possibly laziness, who knows?