Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax LX makes the Daily Mail (UK)

OK, I guess some would not consider making an article in the Daily Mail something positive. There is an enormous amount of news that never makes the domestic US press that is featured in the UK (or Canadian) press. My wife told me, I should read an article about some stupid idiot that tried to scale the sides of the local Echo Canyon (on Camelback Mountain) with out any climbing gear and needed to be rescued (before he went splat).

Anyway, I came across this (another story) and the lens looked a bit too familiar...._________

Here is the story about the idiot. Sorry about the crassness - but the usual outcome is to find the body after a 3 day search.... and it happens all the time - way too often here in the Valley of the Sun. The state actually had to pass a "Stupid Motorist Law", because folks drive through flooded streets and intersections during the Monsoon season and then needs to be rescued when their car goes floating off into the desert. They will probably need to pass a stupid hiking and climbing law too. In the summer folks go hiking without taking any water along.

11-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Saw that story a while ago on Petapixel:
My Girlfriend Shot Her Own Engagement Without Knowing It
11-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Story was posted a while back.

The general opinion amongst the film camera people here was, what kind of idiot would put a ring on the LX Finder glass?

11-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The state actually had to pass a "Stupid Motorist Law", because folks drive through flooded streets and intersections during the Monsoon season and then needs to be rescued when their car goes floating off into the desert.
Victim: "My GPS said to drive straight ahead for 2 miles."

11-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Saw that story a while ago on Petapixel:
My Girlfriend Shot Her Own Engagement Without Knowing It
... day late, dollar short. I have been snoozing a lot lately after some surgery I had...

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Victim: "My GPS said to drive straight ahead for 2 miles."
Usually it's - "It didn't look that deep".... or " I just needed to get to the other side....

11-27-2015, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Story was posted a while back.

The general opinion amongst the film camera people here was, what kind of idiot would put a ring on the LX Finder glass?
One whose parents named him "Che", I guess...

With that name, you might have expected a cigar to be involved, rather than an LX, but that's possibly a bit too Bill and Monica for a proposal. Come to think of it, the other Che was a photographer of sorts, too, IIRC (and I sometimes don't, these days).
12-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Here is the story about the idiot. Sorry about the crassness - but the usual outcome is to find the body after a 3 day search.... and it happens all the time - way too often here in the Valley of the Sun. The state actually had to pass a "Stupid Motorist Law", because folks drive through flooded streets and intersections during the Monsoon season and then needs to be rescued when their car goes floating off into the desert. They will probably need to pass a stupid hiking and climbing law too. In the summer folks go hiking without taking any water along.
We get that a lot here as well in the local mountains. People go hiking unprepared, get lost and need to be rescued. Some never make it out alive and their bodies are found months later.

Phil.

12-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Terrible lapses of judgement have the ability to make corpses of us all. I remember hearing a story of a light aircraft pilot who started flying up a valley, but then the visibility got worse and worse, and...

To cut a long story short, he actually got out of this perilous situation alive (and in an undamaged aircraft). However, the article concluded that the three most important decisions a pilot has to be able to make are the decision to "go around" (abort the landing, circle the airport and try again), the decision to turn back, and the decision to not take off in the first place.
12-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

Going back to the LX theme: I wish I had that finder when I was shooting weddings with my own LX in the 90s, specially those just married greeting shots were I just turned the camera upside down over my head to get those shots over the greeting crowd.
12-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
would put a ring on the LX Finder glass?
I wondered about that myself, then I remembered I don't have a waist level finder for any of mine.