Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IN your position, you probably need to weed out the equipment you will no longer use because of the other equipment you've purchased. Unless you want to become an Adam or a Clinton. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

12-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
I would love some input from ya on how it compares to your sigma. I have a 50-500 OS HSM. If it compares with the Tamron 150-600 with a 1.4 on it... I'd stick with Pentax I believe.
I will do a few tests with it. Got any requests? I did do a comparison of it and a few other lenses just to show magnification here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/309623-comp...100-300-a.html

Of course that was just a quick and dirty. All but the Tamron were wide open (and the Tamron wasn't good in that test due to vibrations in the floor sicne I was walking around doing stuff). I can do much better tests. In fact I plan on doing an astrophotography test will all of those lenses next week from Nevada.

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 02:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
IN your position, you probably need to weed out the equipment you will no longer use because of the other equipment you've purchased. Unless you want to become an Adam or a Clinton. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I lack the FA*250-600 and A*1200

I definitely will be posting things for sale in January.
12-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #33

Original Poster
Thank you...curious hot it does with birds. Does the T/C seam to degrade IQ ?

These are taken within a couple minutes of one another with almost identical settings...... My set up was even a little shutter speed.

The white swing is D7100 Tamron 150-600
The feeder is K3 with Sigma 50-500 HSM.

These are SOOTC...no lightroom adjustments.

I'm shooting for similar results to the swing picture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My goodness if you are shooting birds siting on a wire or feeder, just get a long zoom P&S - you guys are talking crazy money for average shots.... I paid 150 bucks for this camera - use the best tool

12-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #35

Original Poster
These were taken for comparison purposes.
12-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I will see if I can get any birds out there. I did stick some food out for them, they just need to find it again.I'll try both with and without the TC.
12-16-2015, 03:31 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
These were taken for comparison purposes.
I get that they are for comparison purposes... but even the Kite on the wire shot would have been done better with a Point and Shoot long zoom. The only real advantage to a DSLR is for BIF's - anything less can be done better with a point and shoot, small sensor 1200ish zoom.

Just my opinion of course... but that kind of money and weight for those results makes no sense...

I could post more pics, but once you are through the looking glass, there is no reality left

12-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #38
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
I get that they are for comparison purposes... but even the Kite on the wire shot would have been done better with a Point and Shoot long zoom. The only real advantage to a DSLR is for BIF's - anything less can be done better with a point and shoot, small sensor 1200ish zoom.

Just my opinion of course... but that kind of money and weight for those results makes no sense...

I could post more pics, but once you are through the looking glass, there is no reality left
Well, I disagree. I've had several Point & shoot long zooms, and while they are very good; I find my DSLR equipment to be better, much better. Again, it's what a person prefers; but to say a P&S would have done better with the kite on the wire is open to one's opinion.
12-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, I disagree. I've had several Point & shoot long zooms, and while they are very good; I find my DSLR equipment to be better, much better. Again, it's what a person prefers; but to say a P&S would have done better with the kite on the wire is open to one's opinion.
Hi Carol... look at the hummingbird pic I posted above - the Sigma Bigma would have made a smeary/detail-less mess of that shot. I love my Pentax dslrs, but those big, long consumer zooms are weak. The proof of that is in the other shots posted in this thread. If you are shooting birds you are better off with a nice DA300... and a crop.

That shot of the bird on the wire in this thread would definitely have been tighter framed, and sharper with my little canon point and shoot... it is not an opinion, it is a fact.

Now if the question is, can you buy 5000 dollar lenses for birding and get amazing results... the answer is yes. But feeder / wire / limb shots should not be this difficult.
12-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #40
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
the Sigma Bigma would have made a smeary/detail-less mess of that shot.
Again, I disagree. I've seen many, many outstanding images with the Bigma, and none with a "smeary/detail-less mess".

Have you used a Bigma?
12-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Depends how quickly the value of your car drops to sell and buy it.
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
MY buddy sits in my blind with his canon 800 mm equivalent point and shoot, taking the same feeder birds I take, and his images are nothing like mine. That being said, there are some point and shoots we are considering...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 review - CNET

I suspect this camera would do everything I want in terms of feeder images. But, it's a larger sensor than most. 4 times the size of my buddy's.

Check this out.... this is a user submitted photo from that DPR place..
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 at the equivalence of 600mm

Last edited by normhead; 12-16-2015 at 06:08 PM.
12-16-2015, 05:48 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh come ya'all I am just pulling your chains... no point and shoot can deliver the goods like a DSLR with a +1000 dollar lens on it...

1200mm all the way across the pond... and that is an orange belly newt in the birds mouth. Now I know the K3/bigma would do way better than that. But this one costs 150 dollars

---------- Post added 12-16-15 at 04:51 PM ----------

Why can't we post these full size? You can count the toes on the newt