Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2015, 06:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What was the flash bouncing on?

clueless photographers make me smile every time. Sad that she was also rude, though.

12-07-2015, 06:15 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

clueless photographers make me smile every time. Sad that she was also rude, though.
Good question! Maybe she had some slaves nearby and had the diffuser out just enough to catch the flash to trigger them??? Or maybe just to better block our Pentaxian.

Canons AF poorly in low light without an AF assist LED, so I'm guessing for infrared AF assist from the flash, but she didn't want the flash in the shot.

Last edited by Alex645; 12-07-2015 at 06:21 AM.
12-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
not bouncing but relying on a small amount of fill light reflecting off the white card.
12-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
not bouncing but relying on a small amount of fill light reflecting off the white card.
It's not really for fill (it's smaller than the flash head), it's for catchlights in eyes, so it's deployment here is even more baffling.

12-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to photograph at the popular landscape locations in national parks in the USA. Seemed like most locations were just teaming with photographers, many of whom wanted to shoot in the exact same spot I was in. Quess they figured that I knew what I was doing because I had expensive equipment and used a tripod.

These days I no longer try to recreate my version of the popular photos that we're all familiar with (e.g. Yosemite, Antelope Canyon, John Ford Point, Horseshoe Bend, Old Faithful, Canon Beach, etc.), rather I'm visiting out of the way places that have rarely been photographed. No problem with aggressive photographers for me any more.
12-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #36
osv
Veteran Member

this sort of behavior happens at more than just public events.

i've been a paid shooter at weddings, where we were on video cameras, and the person shooting stills would step right in front of the video camera, and stay there.

if it was the only shot we had, we'd go ahead and put the blocked shot in the video, and let the bride settle it with the photographer.
12-07-2015, 01:35 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Definitely annoying.
People think because they have Canikons, they must have better photos and get better lines for photos.

12-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people just like to ruin things for others just for the heck of it.

At my son's college graduation at UCSC a couple of years ago, I tried to take a photo as he crossed the stage, I knelt in the aisle so as not to block other's views. A 6' + tall man stood up, walked about 20' in front of me and spread his arms, looked at me and smiled.

At least my mom got a photo on her cell phone. So much for me lugging my 300mm and K5 along with a camera bag full of tele lenses.

Maybe a big lens on a DSLR makes you a target or object of disdain.

Is it the pro like camera and big lens or is it something innate that drives people to behave this way.
12-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Good question! Maybe she had some slaves nearby and had the diffuser out just enough to catch the flash to trigger them??? Or maybe just to better block our Pentaxian.

Canons AF poorly in low light without an AF assist LED, so I'm guessing for infrared AF assist from the flash, but she didn't want the flash in the shot.

There were no other flashes used. She was walking alongside the marching band and apparently (I'm assuming) stopping periodically to take photos. I was positioned at the primary bend and was there (early) before the police line was even set up so I know there were no additional flashes in the area. I too wondered how the flash was working in that manner since it is open air above us and no buildings to bounce back onto the subject. Without flash, the parade goers were very very dark as this was past sundown. A head scratcher indeed but if it works it works... I just don't know how it works that way.
12-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
There were no other flashes used. She was walking alongside the marching band and apparently (I'm assuming) stopping periodically to take photos. I was positioned at the primary bend and was there (early) before the police line was even set up so I know there were no additional flashes in the area. I too wondered how the flash was working in that manner since it is open air above us and no buildings to bounce back onto the subject. Without flash, the parade goers were very very dark as this was past sundown. A head scratcher indeed but if it works it works... I just don't know how it works that way.
In that case, there are only two reasons I can think of:
a) Canon's don't have an AF focus assist light, and she's using the flash to help her AF. That still doesn't explain why her diffuser is out.
b) She doesn't know what she's doing. I'm guessing that model Canon (from what I can see of the back with the big wheel thumb controller) doesn't have a built-in flash. So she's using it as a weak sort of eye light, which makes no sense in this context.
12-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I have had this happen at the zoo. Peeps first bounced in line over us ( climb in the safari helicopter) then stay their for an hour. We actually left and came back. I said loudly to my daughter " no pics for you today they are not going to leave ". If it is important they were clearly Yankees.

What I would do in your case send a thank you letter. Yes. Thank you. With nice printed pics. Hey I was out taking pics of your band/team/whatever and I wanted to share them with you. Include a disk with electronic copies.

These people are everywhere. I just went to an awards ceremony for my daughter with these Spanish folks yelling in the phone right beside me the entire time.

It will not change. Your best bet is to shame somebody a little bit. They probably do not care.

Otherwise you gotta kick that woman in the arse. Hard. I e done that too it has mixed results.
12-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Only the microphones have a clear shot here. So future note: Bring a good long carbon fiber monopod, wide angle lens, set to self-timer as many shots as your menu offers, and go over those heads. You'll still get a 'gaggle', but also a better view of your intended subject. Artistically, I think you ended up with a way more interesting shot than if you got Hollande.
Right,
It was mainly an interview meeting and everyone was just interested in getting as close as possible to the new President.

At photo sessions everybody battles with the same problem and as a result, from my experience, people give themselves and others usually (but not always) a bit more room. At those sessions stepladders are often used.

To hold a 3-4 kg lump of cam at the end of a stick is not easy.

Artistically, I think you ended up with a way more interesting shot than if you got Hollande

I agree, I took the shot to document my failings. But it is not a money shot. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Cheers
12-08-2015, 04:49 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Remember that in the original B&W version of King Kong, it was the press scrum crowding the heroine that set Kong on his final rampage. There was social commentary in that film as well as a tragic story of unrequited simian love.
12-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
People think because they have Canikons, they must have better photos and get better lines for photos.
I don't think the brand has anything to do with it, in this particular case. Just a rude person.
12-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
At my son's college graduation at UCSC a couple of years ago, I tried to take a photo as he crossed the stage, I knelt in the aisle so as not to block other's views. A 6' + tall man stood up, walked about 20' in front of me and spread his arms, looked at me and smiled.
That is absolutely disgusting behaviour. A bully and a boor. Testosterone poisoning for sure.