Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #1

Rain - the spoilsport

Okay - I bought the DA 15mm limited edition and was all excited to use it extensively during my upcoming trip. However, the weather prediction there is for rain the entire time. 😞
My other lenses and the K-50 are all WR, but what do I do for the DA15? Any suggestions on how to protect it? Does UV filter provide adequate protection against rain and/or light snow?

12-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

UV filter would not. I'd only use the lens if it wasn't raining at the time. There are options for covers but being such a wide angle not sure if covers would provide adequate protection.
12-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it is just drizzling your lens and camera will probably survive although it isn't WR, at least my non WR lenses did till now. Use a umbrella or your hand to cover the lens from the worst, waterdroplets on the front element won't improve IQ anyway. Keep the camera covert between shots.
If it is raining harder I suggest you use only your WR lenses like the 18-55mm kit lens. Under this conditions IQ probably isn't that important because you most likely only get snapshots anyhow.
12-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Othar and transam!

12-10-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plastic bag and rubber band?
12-10-2015, 04:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

OpTech do rain covers. OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve
12-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Use a umbrella or your hand to cover the lens from the worst, waterdroplets on the front element won't improve IQ anyway. Keep the camera covered between shots.
Exactly! There's a lot that can be done even if your camera and lens aren't water-resistant. Shoot under an umbrella...use a plastic bag to cover the camera until the rain lets up...step under some cover to lessen the amount of rain falling on your gear. In short, just use common sense. Even non-weather resistant gear will tolerate mists and high humidity fairly well. Just keep in mind that digital cameras are electronic products and use them the way you'd use your cellphone, maybe. Avoid getting them soaked and you'll probably be okay.

12-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The real enemy of non-WR lenses is not general rain, it's fog/mist and similar air-saturated-with-tiny-droplets conditions. The most vulnerable lenses are long-range zooms that pull in air when zoomed out to long focal lengths. Best protection for a WA such as the 15 on a rainy day, as recommended above by othar, is good large umbrella when shooting, pop into any plastic bag between shots. Shooting covers such as those from Op/Tech (recommended by JohnX) or Ruggard (an alternative recommended by me) work best with longer FL lenses on which it's easy to mount a clear protective filter over the front element.
12-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use WR lenses but rain doesn't stop me. I have several cheap rain capes( $3-6) bought in places like Niagara Falls, Paris, Rome etc. I have one in each camera bag I own just in case. My bags all have rain covers, and for the lenses and camera in use I use the age that wrap the morning paper I dry things off if the get splashed but that's about it.