Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Phoenix Area K-3 Stolen

I've started watching Craigslist, and talking to the seemingly endless number of pawnshops within a couple miles of us, but if anyone happens to come across someone in the Phoenix area selling a K3 serial number starting in 499 and ending in 4204, a heads up would be great.

Also stolen along with the K3 were a Sigma 150-500 HSM, an FA 20-35, FA 50 Macro, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and a 1.4x TC. Plus CPL, ND and UV filters for all the aforementioned lenses all in a Tenba LE bag. The Sigma 150-500 and/or FA 20-35 should be red flags if the thief(ves) part things out, since they are rarely found (let alone sold) items.

If anyone comes across items matching this description, please let me know.

Last edited by nomadkng; 12-10-2015 at 02:39 PM.
12-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That sucks!
Try using this as well: Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera
12-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I've started watching Craigslist, and talking to the seemingly endless number of pawnshops within a couple miles of us, but if anyone happens to come across someone in the Phoenix area selling a K3 serial number starting in 499 and ending in 490x, a heads up would be great.

Also stolen along with the K3 were a Sigma 150-500 HSM, an FA 20-35, FA 50 Macro, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and a 1.4x TC. Plus CPL, ND and UV filters for all the aforementioned lenses all in a Tenba LE bag. The Sigma 150-500 and/or FA 20-35 should be red flags if the thief(ves) part things out, since they are rarely found (let alone sold) items.

If anyone comes across items matching this description, please let me know.
You might also post the serial #'s under the Camera and Lens headings, for recording serial #'s, and posting as "Stolen".

You also may contact a moderator to perhaps move this thread to a photography forum, such as "General Photography"; as I believe more would read it than here; which is for "non-photography".
12-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wish that the recent gear didn't have serial numbers in the form of adhesive tape that can be scraped off with one's fingernail.

12-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't forget to check ebay and kajiji. Also contact the major retailers that do buying (keh, b&h, and natcam).
12-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #6

What's even worse is that once the perpetrator snaps a shot with that kit...he'll want to keep it and never sell it.
12-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I assume you've already reported it to police, but if not, you should do so. Here in Indiana, pawn shops are required to enter their items into a database, which police can search. If a stolen item has a serial number, police can enter that number into the database to automatically be notified if it is ever pawned.

Also, police can enter the items into their own database as stolen. Sometimes they catch somebody who's been on a crime spree, and they will find in the person's possession numerous items that are likely stolen (GPS units, phones/tablets, laptops, cameras, etc). If the item has not been reported as stolen, then the police have no way of linking it back to the original owner.

12-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have reported all serial numbers to police. The biggest headache now is my homeowners insurance not wanting to cover the gear because GF actually sold 1! pic last year for a whopping 20.00. They say it's business property and not covered under homeowners. But I won't get into that rant, I have online quotes to get for a new insurance company.
12-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there a story that you can share about how it was stolen? In case there are lessons for the rest of us....

Best of luck to you in recovering your equipment!
12-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you have your camera's exif set up to record the serial number? If so, then it can be found when the next photo taken with it is uploaded.

CameraFinder was mentioned, but another option is CameraTrace

EXIF tracking services help find missing cameras: Digital Photography Review
12-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now comes the conundrum, Pentax FF isn't out until April, but have to buy a replacement body and at least one long tele zoom and one landscape zoom by end of month.

I will buy a FF in 2016, and was planning on Pentax, but now that I have to replace and entire kit, I have been given one request, the Sigma 150-600 Sport.

Can't do that in Pentax. Not fond of being a 2 system house because the kit I must replace is really my back-up gear. Batteries, remotes and other accessories get interchanged all the time.

Would have been easy to just get FF for me and put the remaining K3 in the back-up bag and buy another 150-500, but...

Now the D810 beckons with her siren call.... this could get scary...
12-17-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Now comes the conundrum, Pentax FF isn't out until April, but have to buy a replacement body and at least one long tele zoom and one landscape zoom by end of month.

I will buy a FF in 2016, and was planning on Pentax, but now that I have to replace and entire kit, I have been given one request, the Sigma 150-600 Sport.

Can't do that in Pentax. Not fond of being a 2 system house because the kit I must replace is really my back-up gear. Batteries, remotes and other accessories get interchanged all the time.

Would have been easy to just get FF for me and put the remaining K3 in the back-up bag and buy another 150-500, but...

Now the D810 beckons with her siren call.... this could get scary...
Unless Pentax offers something you find uniquely desirable, is there really much of a point in remaining with Pentax?
12-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Unless Pentax offers something you find uniquely desirable, is there really much of a point in remaining with Pentax?
My thoughts exactly.

Sometimes an event thought initially as a curse can, in time, been seen as a blessing. In this case, if you are insured especially take the money and scope out ALL viable systems today.

The allure of Nikon (or Canon for that matter) is the much more significant modern lens selection, better tracking AF system, and 3rd party support. Plus a much larger second hand market..

If all my camera gear disappeared tomorrow, I'd be at the insurance company paying my deductible and then looking at what my replacement check could get me... in all brands.

No shame in this game.. the diehard loyalists are the ones that lose. For those of you shocked and angry at my post (I know you're out there -- one of you already barked at me) do you really think any brand is going to be loyal to you? It is a one way relationship... pick the one that best serves YOU. If that is Pentax then great. If it is not then great.
12-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
For those of you shocked and angry at my post (I know you're out there -- one of you already barked at me)

there are several crop sensor trolls on this forum who bark at anyone who's thinking about pentax ff, nevermind an entirely different brand!

this is a tough time to commit to any ff platform, thanks largely to sony... by the end of 2016, canikon will have addressed their ongoing failures to innovate, or more specifically, their failures to address the ff mirrorless groundswell... the future will be a lot clearer for most camera companies, outside of pentax

i wouldn't buy any new ff dslr body, get it used from someone who's bailed out for the a7rii... if the new nikon-to-nex adapter that just came on the market takes off, you might even be able to use a nikon-mount sigma 150-600 on sony ff, similar to how people are using canon glass on the a7rii.