Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Is it something I am doing wrong or is it Pentax

I have recently noticed that when collating my photos for general critique and Internet uploading, my photos just aren't sharp enough. My technique is meticulous, I.e liveview and tripod for landscape, and my equipment over the years has varied but the results are the same. I have used a k5 and k10, lenses from the kit lens to the 16-50sdm, 55-300, fa 35mm f2, but nothing for me has changed.

I would really like it if you could have a look at my website and maybe 500px images to see what you think. It is just so frustrating and I'd really appreciate your feedback to know if I am just over paranoid or????

www.mattbishopphotography.com

https://500px.com/mattbishopphotpgraphy

Last edited by Mattox; 12-11-2015 at 03:33 PM.
12-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I have recently noticed that when collating my photos for general critique and Internet uploading, my photos just aren't sharp enough. My technique is meticulous, I.e liveview and tripod for landscape, and my equipment over the years has varied but the results are the same. I have used a k5 and k10, lenses from the kit lens to the 16-50sdm, 55-300, fa 35mm f2, but nothing for me has changed.

I would really like it if you could have a look at my website and maybe 500px images to see what you think. It is just so frustrating and I'd really appreciate your feedback to know if I am just over paranoid or????

www.mattbishopphotpgraphy.com

https://500px.com/mattbishopphotpgraphy
I have read on this site where photographers first post their photos on Flickr., then transfer them to here. I have not tried it myself, but I hear it is a good way to go. I have experienced the same issues, so what I do is use sharpen feature on FastStone's Image Viewer then upload the photo. FastStone is good and even better since it is free stuff.
Hope this helps.

Tonytee

Last edited by photolady95; 12-11-2015 at 11:33 PM.
12-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have read on this site where photographers first post their photos on Flickr., then transfer them to here. I have not tried it myself, but I hear it is a good way to go. I have experienced the same issues, so what I do is use sharpen feature on FastStones Image Viewer then upload the photo. FastStones is good and even better since it is free stuff.
Hope this helps.

Tonytee
Thanks for the feedback. I was kind of hoping that the camera and lens would do all the work itself. The only sharpening I use is in Lightroom and I never go over 50-60
12-11-2015, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Link to the website does not work.

Re your question, if you get the same issue across different lenses and different cameras I guess I would look at what is always the same. You say you always use a tripod, so what about SR? Do you have it on or off? It should be off when using a tripod and I can say from personal experience that leaving it on can cause soft images.

Beyond that thought I would look at the processing workflow, RAW files (assuming you shoot RAW) need work to be sharp. Out of camera they can be soft.

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 02:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback. I was kind of hoping that the camera and lens would do all the work itself.
I consider the camera / lens to be about 25% of the image. Part is the creativity of the photographer, correct light and so on. The balance is in post processing.

12-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps use the mirror up feature and a remote or cable release. There can be just enough vibration from the mirror, especially if the tripod is not absolutely solid. Vibrations on unstable ground and an extended tripod can all add to a little unwanted movement. With some lenses I'll wait 5 plus seconds after mirror up to fire shutter.

Sharpening is a complicated subject. A little pre- sharpening in camera RAW and then a final sharpening selected for the final destination. This final sharpening is crucially done as the final step, especially after any size reduction.

Any of this help ?
12-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have read on this site where photographers first post their photos on Flickr., then transfer them to here. I have not tried it myself, but I hear it is a good way to go. I have experienced the same issues, so what I do is use sharpen feature on FastStones Image Viewer then upload the photo. FastStones is good and even better since it is free stuff.
Hope this helps.

Tonytee
Also, I forgot to mention that downsizing your photos may be the answer. I have found that on most sites I need to bring it down to around 1100 X Whatever size. It may not be the panacea for all ills, however it is what I have tried and it seems to help quite a bit.

Tonytee
12-11-2015, 03:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Perhaps use the mirror up feature and a remote or cable release. There can be just enough vibration from the mirror, especially if the tripod is not absolutely solid. Vibrations on unstable ground and an extended tripod can all add to a little unwanted movement. With some lenses I'll wait 5 plus seconds after mirror up to fire shutter.

Sharpening is a complicated subject. A little pre- sharpening in camera RAW and then a final sharpening selected for the final destination. This final sharpening is crucially done as the final step, especially after any size reduction.

Any of this help ?
I don't use mirror up function because I shoot I live-view and I use a cable release. SR is always off on the tripod. Interesting when you say that shatpening should be done as a final step, why?

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 03:32 PM ----------

Also, I forgot to mention that downsizing your photos may be the answer. I have found that on most sites I need to bring it down to around 1100 X Whatever size. It may not be the panacea for all ills, however it is what I have tried and it seems to help quite a bit.

Tonytee
Really downsizing? How does that help

12-11-2015, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you certain that it not merely a matter of you having some taste and self control with your sharpening of images?
Often people love going overboard with their sharpening into unnatural levels.

The images on 500px look perfectly fine to me.
The other website address (www.mattbishopphotpgraphy.com) doesn't work.
12-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Link to the website does not work.

Re your question, if you get the same issue across different lenses and different cameras I guess I would look at what is always the same. You say you always use a tripod, so what about SR? Do you have it on or off? It should be off when using a tripod and I can say from personal experience that leaving it on can cause soft images.

Beyond that thought I would look at the processing workflow, RAW files (assuming you shoot RAW) need work to be sharp. Out of camera they can be soft.

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 02:22 PM ----------

I consider the camera / lens to be about 25% of the image. Part is the creativity of the photographer, correct light and so on. The balance is in post processing.
Sorry link error fixed. I would love the feedback. I do shoot raw and post processing is applied

---------- Post added 12-11-15 at 03:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Are you certain that it not merely a matter of you having some taste and self control with your sharpening of images?
Often people love going overboard with their sharpening into unnatural levels.

The images on 500px look perfectly fine to me.
The other website address (www.mattbishopphotpgraphy.com) doesn't work.
Fixed that error. Sorry
12-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a typo in your first link, which is why it doesn't work.

Sharpening is done as a final step because processing a photo that has already been sharpened can lead to increased noise, halos, jaggies, etc.

Sharpening for online viewing can be difficult, if you are the type of person who obsesses over such things. People will view your work on a variety of monitors, with different sizes and pixel-pitches. A photo which looks perfectly sharp on one monitor might look less so on a monitor with a different resolution.

Also, it has been my observation that many images which elicit praise for sharpness appear, to me, to be over-sharpened. I see harsh jagged edges and halos, but that seems to be considered "sharp" these days.

When I looked at your 500px photos, I wouldn't have thought "sharp" or "not sharp" except that this is our discussion. To me they just look like good photos, and if I were ordering a print I would assume that a person who takes such photos would ensure that the printed quality would be good, as well.
12-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
when you say that shatpening should be done as a final step, why?
Other adjustments that you make can affect the amount of sharpening needed. For example, if you sharpen first the adjust midtone contrast in curves the image will likely be over sharpened.
Likewise, if you sharpen an image then reduce its size it will probably be over sharpened.
Sharpening should be the last thing you do before "export" or "save as".
12-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
KDD
Veteran Member

Because your camera are SLEEPY!! Reset your camera then camera awake!!!
12-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

The linked images look sharp enough to me. Scaling from the original full size images to web display sizes means you'll lose some details in the process.
12-11-2015, 03:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use mirror up function because I shoot I live-view and I use a cable release. SR is always off on the tripod. Interesting when you say that shatpening should be done as a final step, why?
The final = output sharpening needed is dependent on viewing size, papers used, viewing distance etc. The action of resizing changes the visual relationships of pixels to their neighbours, so sharpening after the final sizing and taking into account the destination is important.

So perhaps work up the images and arrange your workflow to be able to finish the image for its final output destination from a common pre-flight PSD file.
12-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I don't use mirror up function because I shoot I live-view and I use a cable release.
I don't know which body you use. On my K-5 liveview triggers unnecessary mirror movements. The mirror is already out of the way with liveview, yet when I release the shutter the mirror drops down then lifts back up again, giving more mirror movement with liveview than without it. Mirror-up and the 2-second timer therefore play a role when using liveview to compose.

The 2-second timer works correctly by lifting the mirror at the start of the timer. The 12-second timer inexplicably waits untilthe end of thetimer to lift the mirror.