Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
You're right it's only a Sony - which was once Minolta's Camera Division. Minolta made exceptional cameras. The Sony A7r II looks quite impressive. It would be nice it the Pentax FF sports the same sensor.
Would the FF melt in the Lava as well?

12-16-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
And I am grateful that Ricoh Pentax give Sony the opportunity to see there sensors in Pentax cameras.
True, but I'm making a reference that Sony corporate for many years was very proprietary in their technology. Remember betamax? They'd trump the status quo, but wouldn't sell parts or patents to others. It took a giant like Microsoft to compete with the Playstation. They could play hard ball and force Nikon and Pentax to develop their own sensors and although there are a lot of components in a camera that affects IQ, the sensor is numero uno.

I understand the assets of Sony's commitment to the EVF, but for me, it's a deal breaker...I hate it. One huge benefit of Pentax OVF are those nice big and bright pentaprisms. So much better than an EVF and Canon and Nikon's under $1K pentamirror finders. Needless to say, Sony fans would disagree because they care more about the assets of EVF and not the tradeoffs.
12-16-2015, 01:38 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

No its apocalyptically sealed.
12-16-2015, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'd need either a PR (plasma resistant) or LP (lava proof) body and lens. Sony is working on a new plastic that has a higher melting point than tungsten. It will be marketed as the first camera that can also float in lava. No guarantees though on those lithium ion batteries. Ever eat straight wasabi?

12-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
True, but I'm making a reference that Sony corporate for many years was very proprietary in their technology. Remember betamax? They'd trump the status quo, but wouldn't sell parts or patents to others. It took a giant like Microsoft to compete with the Playstation. They could play hard ball and force Nikon and Pentax to develop their own sensors and although there are a lot of components in a camera that affects IQ, the sensor is numero uno.

I understand the assets of Sony's commitment to the EVF, but for me, it's a deal breaker...I hate it. One huge benefit of Pentax OVF are those nice big and bright pentaprisms. So much better than an EVF and Canon and Nikon's under $1K pentamirror finders. Needless to say, Sony fans would disagree because they care more about the assets of EVF and not the tradeoffs.
If someone gave me a Sony, I would not argue, any camera is better than no camera.
12-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If it was a Pentax it would have been able to still keep taking pictures. Further, if it was a Pentax, it would not have looked like that.
12-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
No its apocalyptically sealed.
So it will be carried in by four horseman?

12-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can find spare parts on eBay...
12-16-2015, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Condition: Exc+++. Camera shows minor cosmetic marks, but image quality is not affected.

(eBay listing)
12-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
See what happened
Just a flesh wound, just cosmetic is all.
12-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just a flesh wound, just cosmetic is all.
I've had worse...
12-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
CDW
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I know they are WR but not that much.
See what happened to this Sony:
This is What Happens When a Camera Gets Dropped in Lava
A photographer here on the Big Island accidentally knocked over his tripod and a 5DmkIII/lens into a lava flow. It has to be unsettling to watch lava swallow a good bit of your gear with no recourse -- other than insurance.
12-16-2015, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
A photographer here on the Big Island accidentally knocked over his tripod and a 5DmkIII/lens into a lava flow. It has to be unsettling to watch lava swallow a good bit of your gear with no recourse -- other than insurance.
I guess that's Canon fodder for the rest of us. Someone needs to develop a four legged quadripod for tripod knock offs.

I have had three drops in my life: First was with a brand new Pentax 645 from about waist level that bounced off the carpet and put a hole in the stucco wall. Zero damage to the camera! Second was a Minolta Maxxum 9000 with a 600mm Rokkor f/4 APO that quick released from its shoe and the monopod. The camera took the impact from 5 feet onto concrete and split in half. Last was near the summit of Haleakala on Maui with that same Pentax 645 in the middle of switching lens. After watching it fall in what seemed like slow motion, it hit pavement from about 3 feet and made a horrible thud. I've tested it and the lens and everything seems unaffected by the physics of the impact....a real testament to Pentax durability.

Last edited by Alex645; 12-16-2015 at 11:20 PM.
12-17-2015, 04:33 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No bother it was only a Sony, who cares.
Clearly, the gods of the volcano were not pleased with the sacrifice
12-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Clearly, the gods of the volcano were not pleased with the sacrifice
Maybe a new virginal FF would be better for the gods.