Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #1

STOLEN GEAR; VANCOUVER BC (Possibly In Seattle, WA now)

Not sure if this is the correct place, but It's worth a try.

Hey, so Before Christmas, my Friends car was Stolen. The thief's stole all his Film gear, as well as shattered a vinyl record in the trunk (Stealing a peice of it? Why?), stole all the emergency equipment and even the Gas Cap after joyriding the thing. It's possible the thief's have crossed the border, stranger things have happened.

The major hurt here is the Film Gear. Two pieces of equipment are Mine: A Helios 44-2 and a Pentax K-M42 Adaptor. He is literally on a "I can afford Food" Budget, so He cannot replace this.

The gear is said lens and Adaptor,
non-descript K-1000 (MIJ Version)
Pentax-K 50mm 1.8
Oval grip Kitstar 28mm f2.8
Tokina 80-200 Zoom
Pentax-A 70-210 F4
Pentax-M 40mm 2.8
Industar 50-2 50mm 3.5
Pentax Reverse Mount (49mm thread to PK)
Baseplate for a Tripod
Remote trigger for the K1000

It was in a square, Grey, over the shoulder sling bag. Old, 80's style.

These are all very common lenses and Camera, but there was this oddity in there: A 49mm Filter fitted with an m42 Thread mount inside. Mounted to this was a Vivitar-LU 50mm f3.5 Enlarger lens with m39 to m42 adaptor. This was basically always on the 40mm.

If you see this gear, In or around Vancouver Canada or Seattle, Please report it to the police as Stolen from Rickie Hilborn. If you see the adaptor ring on Ebay, please report it as a stolen item to the same. If you need contact info, please message me.

Last edited by Mothballs; 12-31-2015 at 06:53 PM.
12-31-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Write down the equipment name, serial numbers et all and send them to the "friend" whos car was stolen. He should include that data in the police report. Let your insurance know and see if your "friends" insurance will cover replacement costs.

If you do not have a record of serial numbers and a complete list of items, then you might as well kiss it all goodbye.

Context: My two homes were burglarized where all most of my cameras were stolen. The first time it was my collection of Fujica bodies and lenses. The insurance company provided me money to purchase a Pentax SF-1 thus leading down the path of Pentax. After sitting in a property room in a small town south of Seattle for five years I got almost all of the cameras/lenses returned. I still have them.
My second home was burglarized and my Pentax *ist Ds and K10D along with my Pentax lenses were stolen. This time they even got the SF-1 and a brand spanking new FA 50 f1.4. The insurance company gave me funds to buy a K20D which I use to this day. About four months after the robbery, I was notified that the perps had pawned my cameras in a pawn shop in a town just north of the County boarder. I got all of my Pentax cameras/lenses back except for the SF-1 and the 50mm. The insurance company did not even blink and let me keep the cameras/lenses etc.

Aside: The perps even took pictures of themselves with the cameras and left them on the SD cards. Since I use Back Button Focusing, they could not get the systems to focus. I gave a copy of the photos to the police and they knew who they were, however nothing happened to them due to budget cuts. Stealing something from someone's house is not "important" enough to go after any more.

Result of the story: Keep records of your stuff. Serial numbers, models, purchase dates along with a photo or two of the items themselves. Make the system work for you. In Washington state the police notify pawn shops about stolen articles and the pawn shops are required by law to report back to them.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-31-2015, 07:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Write down the equipment name, serial numbers et all and send them to the "friend" whos car was stolen. He should include that data in the police report. Let your insurance know and see if your "friends" insurance will cover replacement costs.

If you do not have a record of serial numbers and a complete list of items, then you might as well kiss it all goodbye.

Context: My two homes were burglarized where all most of my cameras were stolen. The first time it was my collection of Fujica bodies and lenses. The insurance company provided me money to purchase a Pentax SF-1 thus leading down the path of Pentax. After sitting in a property room in a small town south of Seattle for five years I got almost all of the cameras/lenses returned. I still have them.
My second home was burglarized and my Pentax *ist Ds and K10D along with my Pentax lenses were stolen. This time they even got the SF-1 and a brand spanking new FA 50 f1.4. The insurance company gave me funds to buy a K20D which I use to this day. About four months after the robbery, I was notified that the perps had pawned my cameras in a pawn shop in a town just north of the County boarder. I got all of my Pentax cameras/lenses back except for the SF-1 and the 50mm. The insurance company did not even blink and let me keep the cameras/lenses etc.

Aside: The perps even took pictures of themselves with the cameras and left them on the SD cards. Since I use Back Button Focusing, they could not get the systems to focus. I gave a copy of the photos to the police and they knew who they were, however nothing happened to them due to budget cuts. Stealing something from someone's house is not "important" enough to go after any more.

Result of the story: Keep records of your stuff. Serial numbers, models, purchase dates along with a photo or two of the items themselves. Make the system work for you. In Washington state the police notify pawn shops about stolen articles and the pawn shops are required by law to report back to them.

Then most of it is gone for good. I think the only thing that We might have Record of is the Zoom lens.

Still, there is the hope that the only custom item will Turn up.
01-01-2016, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I will take this opportunity, once again, to tell everyone that there is a site already in place to do this. It is called www.lenstag.com. After you register, all you have to do is list the lens or camera name (i.e. Pentax M 40mm f2.8 or Pentax K 1000), the serial number and, using the in app camera function, take a photo of the listed item, including the serial number and that's it. Then if any or all of your items are stolen just notify them. They have a proven track record of helping people reclaim their gear. It's FREE and is used by gear rental companies like BorrowLenses and LensRentals. And yes, I do have all my gear listed with them.

01-01-2016, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

thanks for the lens tag tip chuck_c - I will investigate before an event. All the best to the OP in recovering gear.
01-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

2 years ago I was getting ready to move my gear to our summer cottage for the season and overnight it was all stolen from my truck. At my age I just got a sick feeling about trying to start over, My main gear was a K200D with kit lenses and decades of deals from pawn shops ebay and colleagues for glass & accessories.
I started to check out Insurance posibilities and my Home Owners covered it (not my Auto). Not only covered it but it was replacement or depreciated cash value. I replaced 95% and took cash for a little bit. See my signature for the results incl. awsome point & shoot cameras $9200.00 worth of gear.

In short if the filthy thief that did this to me reads this ;get in touch and I will give you a hug and take you out for dinner ( Anything you want off the kiddies menue).

The only down side was boy did I have a lot of manuals to read and leap into the space age.
01-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wish I could loan him some spares of mine, but I have no direct matches..I do have a JCPenney 80-200 + a spare Ricoh film body.
He could borrow from me on no fixed time limit, and send 'em back if/when gear returns. PM if interested.
I'd like him to have a better start to 2016!

01-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No pun intended but from the look of things, the thief wont get more than $50 for all that gear.
01-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had filed a police report listing as many items as i could remember only had serial #'s for K200d & iPhone 4 & a kx-5. The rest no. By the way in this neck of the woods you dont get to talk to a real Cop in something like this;they are way to busy with seat belt checks, hand held devices checks,smoking in cars checks etc etc.
I filed the Police report that I filled out with my Insurance Co. and they told me to get a Pentax dealer to give me the current replacements . Budda bing budda bang I'm the proud owner of a K3 , Bigma 150-500mm, 2 x grips, etc etc. 500 deduct ;little bit of cash helped buy the fa77 ltd.
The next time I was checked in a roadside by Police I acted excited and told the Officer that I was so glad that he had found my stolen property and now had time to check my seat belt again. He said WHAT! I didnt find no stolen stuff?

Last edited by honey bo bo; 01-01-2016 at 02:29 PM.
01-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #10

Original Poster
I think i should get on it and register all my gear on that site before Something similar happens to me.

Though it will be an absolute pain to replace the 35mm f2 super-Takumar if it ever goes missing.

Back to my friend though, he has a Canon AE-1 at the moment, but really wants the Pentax gear again. Things will work their way out though
01-13-2016, 07:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
Some good news: We recovered the Kitstar through other sources.

It looks like it's the same lens, it even has the same defect on the side of the front elements coating... Might be a diffrent one though. Still.

Tossed it on the K-50 just to remember why we loved the thing.

Wide Open:

03-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #12

Original Poster
So My friends Car got stolen again last night.

I swear to god If he left what Camera Gear he was given as a replacement in there again, I'm going to punch him in the nose.
03-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #13

Has he tried locking the doors and perhaps taking the keys with him?
03-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Architecture Quote
Has he tried locking the doors and perhaps taking the keys with him?
It's a Honda Civic. Luckily the Gear was not in the car this time.
03-20-2016, 08:07 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[Mothballs;3577271]Has he tried locking the doors and perhaps taking the keys with him?]

[It's a Honda Civic.]

You cannot lock the doors on Civics?