Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Exactly. But with other kit lenses you have the latitude to do what you like in PP, and be selective about it.
The RAW files from this thing are in essence 16 bit Jpegs!
Not for me, thank you.
That is total nonsense. I can choose to implement any or all lens corrections in Lightroom. I use CA correction with all lenses across both systems. I sometimes don't implement distortion correction with the E 16-50, because without correction it mimics a fisheye lens, and is much wider than the corrected image (14mm?). With some photos, the FOV matters more than distortion.

You have no understanding of what Sony intended with this lens. It is tiny because they wanted the user to take advantage of digital correction to correct for aberrations, instead of more elements to implement optical corrections. It's a useful trade-off in a kit lens, IMO. Pancake size is an appealing feature. I'd like to get a Sony Zeiss 16-70mm f4, but even if I do, I still have a spot for the E 16-50.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I use the Sigma DN primes or K-mount glass with my NEX-3N and NEX-7 for PQ.
Yes. primes are better than the kit lens.

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.
01-10-2016, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #47

Photos: Gallery
If a fixed lens is still an option, the GR is a stunning little camera. It is an absolute joy to use; with a cool combination of intuitive controls and ability to customize. The icing on the cake is the crop sensor in a pocketable body, paired with a great lens.