Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestions for smaller camera

I am off on a couple of trips this year and I want to take along a smallish almost pocketable camera in addition to the DSLR. Something I can stick in my pocket at dinner or at a show.

Sensor has to be capable of taking pictures that are marketable. I think 1" would be the smallest I would consider. Something like a Q but with a larger sensor. Could be a fixed lens, ILC or small zoom, I'm open to suggestions. Since this is just a trip camera I don't want to spend too much but the image quality has to be top end.

I don't really keep up with anyone except Pentax so I'm not really sure where to even start looking. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I know you guys love spending other people's money so...........

01-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Get the Sony RX100 (mark III or newer if you want a viewfinder). It's a fantastic camera if you want to travel light and still get decent image quality. Not cheap but worth it in my opinion.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II Digital Camera B&H
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Digital Camera B&H

Its fast lens also lets you get nice bokeh (24-70mm F1.8-2.8 full-frame equivalent):
DSC00385 - Adam's Album: Butterflies - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or the camera under discussion here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/311...arly-days.html
01-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

canon g1x mark ii or sony rx100 iv or canon g5x

01-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The current generation of my Optio W9. It's the camera I drop in my pocket when i don't want to carry a camera. Or when I don't know if I'm going to play rugby or take pictures.

http://ricoh-imaging.ca/en/products/cameras/WG-5gps/

It is the way to go if you're on the go.

Slideshow here.

Last edited by normhead; 01-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.
01-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

RX100 if you want zoom flexibility.

Ricoh GR if you want a larger sensor. In good light the Ricoh GR gives images as good as my K-5. In low light the GR is noisier than the K-5 but still ahead of the RX100.
01-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
A Fuji X100 is supposed to be a fairly nice little rangefinder. And its got a pretty cool VF setup

01-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was facing this same decision and decided on the LX7 (1/1.7 sensor like the Q - I debated the LX100 (and I am still second guessing myself...) but the LX7 is really honestly something I can put in my pocket. The LX100 isn't. The RX100 might be but it's on the verge. The GX7 and similar cameras are fine for belt pouch but not pocket.

I picked the LX7 based on the portability and cost. I really haven't played with the camera enough yet to know how good the images are. I know that there are generation 1 RX100 users who felt it was as good or better. The faster lens and the better image stabilization made it possible to keep the LX7 ISO low enough to compare. Many of the early RX100 reviews indicated that the LX7 could go toe to toe in enlargements also due to the superior lens. The RX100 iii however was a game changer the lens was much improved and that was that.

Try the RX100 iii and the LX100 in the store - if one fits in the pocket you may be in business. If not consider an LX7 - they are crazy fun. 10mp 1/1.7" sensor and all...
01-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I chose the Sony a6000 as my compact solution.
01-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I chose the Sony a6000 as my compact solution.

And with what lens can you put it in your pocket? What size pocket? LOL
01-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am off on a couple of trips this year and I want to take along a smallish almost pocketable camera in addition to the DSLR. Something I can stick in my pocket at dinner or at a show.

Sensor has to be capable of taking pictures that are marketable. I think 1" would be the smallest I would consider. Something like a Q but with a larger sensor. Could be a fixed lens, ILC or small zoom, I'm open to suggestions. Since this is just a trip camera I don't want to spend too much but the image quality has to be top end.

I don't really keep up with anyone except Pentax so I'm not really sure where to even start looking. Any suggestions would be most welcome. I know you guys love spending other people's money so...........
I think what you really want is a tailor to make you pockets big enough to hold your DSLR with a pancake lens! (I'm only half joking...that's been my solution so far.)
01-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got the 16-50 pancake in E mount but it's terrible.

Another one to consider if you don't mind the sensor size is the Fuji X30.
01-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've got the 16-50 pancake in E mount but it's terrible.

Another one to consider if you don't mind the sensor size is the Fuji X30.
The Panasonic GX7 with the 14-42 PZ is pretty good but dang that's a slow lens and still it isn't really pocket camera material. But I can't wait to put a K mount adapter on it and play around - it is a toy for me but fun to tinker with. There's a chance my trip to EU will be made with it vs. the LX7 - it kiled my thoughts of buying the LX7's VF2 viewfinder.
01-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

The one I carry while cycling is the 1" Samsung Mini-NX. All the features under the sun, pocketable with the 24mm equivalent prime.

I have a 24-70 stabilized zoom and f1.8 normal prime for it too, but Samsung look to be exiting the mirrorless camera maket and I can't recommend anyone invests in the system.
01-07-2016, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Sony RX100 M3. The lens is very fast and has a good range. The images are excellent quality.

The camera is a marvel that is smaller than the palm of my hand. Truly "pocketable".