Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Wireless/wi-fi SD cards - what's the best?

I'd love to use a wi-fi SD card. All brands seem to have mixed reviews on Amazon (for what it's worth). I'd be interested in hearing what others use and rely on. Thanks!

01-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've owned two and had two die. One was the Pentax FLU card, the other was the Transcend wifi card.
01-08-2016, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Toshiba FlashAir ... Awesome card
01-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I use PQI Air Card adapter. I got it practically for free and use it for parties with friends where people want to upload pictures right away. App for phone is not so good (confusing to use) but you can always connect to it via browser.

01-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two Eye-Fi cards - an older 8gb X2 Pro and a not-quite-as-old 4gb Mobi, plus a Toshiba Flashair 16gb. Maybe I've been lucky, but all 3 have been rock solid. I like the behavior of the Eye-Fi cards better, once I got through the setup - they will push new jpg's from the camera to my phone anytime I start the app. The Flashair sends thumbnails and I then need to select them before they get transferred. I prefer to have them all pushed over to the phone while shooting so I can review them on the bigger screen. Disclaimer: I'm just a dad with a kid in high school band, and this makes it easier to show the pics to my wife. She can flip through pictures on the phone easier than she can navigate through the camera.

I was perfectly happy with my X2 Pro, but found the Mobi for $10 and got it for a backup. Then I found the Flashair on sale for $20 and couldn't resist.
01-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Do any of the wireless cards work to send pics directly to computer, rather than phone?
I picked up 2 eye-fi cards (not pro)today 16G each on clearance for $20 each. Thought that was pretty good...
01-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #7

I've always used the eye-fi cards both the pro and mobi version. My preference is the mobi version. I shoot raw+jpg on my K5 with the jpg images set to low resolution of a couple of megabytes. I set up the card to only transfer the jpg images to my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) where I can view them in the Mobi app.

I'm using the card for two purposes only. The first is when I am taking product shots at work and I want to review the composition on a slightly larger screen in real time. The second is when I am using my K5 and want to send a photo on social media or email to others. In this case I use Snapseed (a free app) to do any post processing on the jpg before it is uploaded.

That is the only two use cases I have for the wireless part of the card and find it works great.

Once I'm back at my computer I download the dng raw files the old fashioned way by plugging it directly into my computer so I can archive and post process using lightroom for any pictures I want to print.

This usage model works great for me, your mileage may vary. I do find I'm perfectly happy with the mobi version of the card (simplest to use and cheapest) and I also use only an 8 gigabyte card and take the photos off regularly. I then format the card in camera before I use it again. I've a couple of spare standard SD cards for when I need to shoot more images and I haven't time to get the photos off.

My two cents.

01-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks jcjacks! I'm thinking of downloading the app to my Kindle Fire so I can see the pics bigger than on my iPhone and then put on FB if I want. I'll have to figure out how to only transfer the jpegs...
01-10-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tracy68 Quote
Do any of the wireless cards work to send pics directly to computer, rather than phone?
I picked up 2 eye-fi cards (not pro)today 16G each on clearance for $20 each. Thought that was pretty good...
Sounds like you got a good deal! I think I had my Eye-Fi transfer pics to the PC once or twice, but found it to be pretty slow when compared to using a card reader. I usually shoot RAW + JPEG, and the RAW files took *forever* (and that's with the relatively small RAW files from a K10d). Like Jcjacks, I have only the JPEG files sent to my phone. It's very convenient, since if I get a good pic of one of my kid's friends from the high school band, I can send it to the parents almost immediately.
01-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
I did find the Mac download for my desktop, but I have an older OS that I can no longer upgrade. I've sent a request to Eye-fi asking about older versions (I have OS 10.6). I just did a quick transfer to my phone and then to Flickr - so it really is pretty convenient - especially being able to crop it in the app. I think I'll stick with eye-fi for now.