Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Cokin Z Pro filter reviews

I have been using a Cokin z pro find grad filter system for years now and as my photography is getting better and therefore more demanding I ask myself, does this filter on my landscapes have an effect on the final quality of the image. I know that there are tons of other models out there (I.e. Lee), but how does the z pro system set up against the others? There is little on the net about this system so I thought I'd bring it up

01-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the ZPro system in the past, and the Cokin filters that came with it did soften the image and imparted a slight color cast (magenta, if I recall) in the ND filtered areas. The filters were also made of (high grade) plastic, which meant they could get scratched pretty easily. The Z system is the same dimension as Lee and Hitech square filters, so good glass ones can easily be used instead.
01-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've used the ZPro system in the past, and the Cokin filters that came with it did soften the image and imparted a slight color cast (magenta, if I recall) in the ND filtered areas. The filters were also made of (high grade) plastic, which meant they could get scratched pretty easily. The Z system is the same dimension as Lee and Hitech square filters, so good glass ones can easily be used instead.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Really, they do make the images softer? So, basically in your opinion is be better off keep the holder system and changing the filter itself. What would be the best on the market? Tiffany, lee?
01-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Really, they do make the images softer? So, basically in your opinion is be better off keep the holder system and changing the filter itself. What would be the best on the market? Tiffany, lee?
Sorry, I don't know what's the best on the market (and I think you mean Tiffen ).

After struggling with the color cast of the original Cokins, I bought a Schneider Landscape Control Kit (from 2filter.com - Camera Filters and Filter Accessories) because they are all-glass filters, and 2filter had the kit on sale with a second ND grad (for $200 IIRC)! That was how I knew just what the Cokins did to my images in comparison. No more color cast in the ND part, and almost imperceptible sharpness loss. Very nice all-glass filters!

Alas, their price has gone up to the Lee, Singh-Ray and Hitech filter price levels, where $150 gets you one sheet of glass (or resin).

01-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Sorry, I don't know what's the best on the market (and I think you mean Tiffen ).

After struggling with the color cast of the original Cokins, I bought a Schneider Landscape Control Kit (from 2filter.com - Camera Filters and Filter Accessories) because they are all-glass filters, and 2filter had the kit on sale with a second ND grad (for $200 IIRC)! That was how I knew just what the Cokins did to my images in comparison. No more color cast in the ND part, and almost imperceptible sharpness loss. Very nice all-glass filters!

Alas, their price has gone up to the Lee, Singh-Ray and Hitech filter price levels, where $150 gets you one sheet of glass (or resin).
Hahaha.... Sorry that wasn't me, it was iPhone spell correction. Tiffany instead of tiffen. Hahaha. Thanks for your feedback. Looks like I've got some research on my hands. I really always thought that the z pro was a fine step ahead of the p series but I looks like I may be mistaken