Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right + Right. Looking at the even older poll that the old poll links to, for Eye/Hand/Fingers Crossed/Arms Crossed, I'm RRRR.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/2414-eyedness-handedness-other-nesses.html

01-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With Live View I use both eyes. OVF=right eye. Film=Mind's eye.
01-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Unfortunately this kind of poll doesn't work.

Left eyed people, like me, respond and right eyed people mostly don't bother.

About 1 in 7 people are left handed and I'd guess the same proportion are left eye dominant.
01-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
Unfortunately this kind of poll doesn't work.

Left eyed people, like me, respond and right eyed people mostly don't bother.

About 1 in 7 people are left handed and I'd guess the same proportion are left eye dominant.
When I teach a class of 20 students, either FSLR or DSLR, I ask them this question. There are definitely more left eyed photographers than left handed photographers...not the same proportion. The reason I ask is so that they are aware of the ergonomics of how all viewfinders are biased for right eyes, but also that the right eye uses the logical, analytical, language, math part of the left brain, whereas left eyes will use the right brain which is the spatial, sensory, artistic, non-verbal hemisphere.

Once that's been established, when not using LiveView, I tell them to just be aware. If you're right eyed, don't over think everything. Trust your intuition more and 'let go'. If you're left eyed, then try to analyze more what you're doing and why. Ideally you're going to use both sides of the brain, the left for technique, but the right for the aesthetics and creativity.

01-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am left eye dominant.

I shoot a rifle and pool left handed. I shoot a pistol right handed. I catch a baseball left handed, but when I played goalie in hockey I usually used my right hand to catch the puck.. I'm so confused.
01-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes...this has been discussed before and yes, polled before...

Neither(!) eye dominant
Use either left or right or both depending on camera, though usually right with my K-3

Steve
01-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Ok....I'll bite into this:

Left eye dominant..
Right handed in all aspects except as a youth I played hockey 'left handed'.....great for a right winger....

01-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
When I teach a class of 20 students, either FSLR or DSLR, I ask them this question. There are definitely more left eyed photographers than left handed photographers...not the same proportion. The reason I ask is so that they are aware of the ergonomics of how all viewfinders are biased for right eyes, but also that the right eye uses the logical, analytical, language, math part of the left brain, whereas left eyes will use the right brain which is the spatial, sensory, artistic, non-verbal hemisphere.

Once that's been established, when not using LiveView, I tell them to just be aware. If you're right eyed, don't over think everything. Trust your intuition more and 'let go'. If you're left eyed, then try to analyze more what you're doing and why. Ideally you're going to use both sides of the brain, the left for technique, but the right for the aesthetics and creativity.
The eyes are not divided by hemisphere. Each eye connects 1/2 to each hemisphere. That line you were telling them isn't true but like a placebo it works.

http://www.indiana.edu/~p1013447/dictionary/lrvf.htm
01-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #39
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One other thing that should be brought up; I use my right eye, as my left eye has always been my very weak eye, vision much poorer than right. Wearing glasses is bothersome trying to look thru the viewfinder. So in my case, it is not which is my dominant eye; rather which has the best vision.
01-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The eyes are not divided by hemisphere. Each eye connects 1/2 to each hemisphere. That line you were telling them isn't true but like a placebo it works.

PROJECTION OF LEFT AND RIGHT VISUAL FIELDS
Do you know when that article was written? I've seen arguments and articles that concur with what you cited, but then I also find a lot that disagree such as this article from 2014:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-research-on-if-right-left-eye-dominance-a...nd-personality

I'm not a brain surgeon, but then I don't believe everything Ben Carson says either. I'll have to research this further before seeing what I believe. Of course we usually see what we believe and not the other way around.
01-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you know when that article was written? I've seen arguments and articles that concur with what you cited, but then I also find a lot that disagree such as this article from 2014:

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-research-on-if-right-left-eye-dominance-a...nd-personality

I'm not a brain surgeon, but then I don't believe everything Ben Carson says either. I'll have to research this further before seeing what I believe. Of course we usually see what we believe and not the other way around.
I majored in psychology and I can tell you that all studies of the visual field have concluded the same thing. Each eye is connected to both hemispheres. But as to the impact of eye dominance - that could absolutely be true. What I object to is the idea that using one eye or the other influences creative thinking because it connects to a specific hemisphere. The truth is likely that anytime we use a non-dominant hand/foot/eye we introduce the possibility of seeing/with the minds eye rather than with the senses. Cutting off effortless and autonomic processing at the knees makes it easier to relearn how to see etc.

So the point of my criticism is that the left eyed people can gain just as much using their right eyes as the right eyed people gain in reverse.
01-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Left eye here.
Now, where are the numbers for left vs. right?
01-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I majored in psychology and I can tell you that all studies of the visual field have concluded the same thing. Each eye is connected to both hemispheres. But as to the impact of eye dominance - that could absolutely be true. What I object to is the idea that using one eye or the other influences creative thinking because it connects to a specific hemisphere. The truth is likely that anytime we use a non-dominant hand/foot/eye we introduce the possibility of seeing/with the minds eye rather than with the senses. Cutting off effortless and autonomic processing at the knees makes it easier to relearn how to see etc.

So the point of my criticism is that the left eyed people can gain just as much using their right eyes as the right eyed people gain in reverse.
So I guess what I am most curious about at this point: Is there a correlation between eye dominance and right or left brain dominance?
01-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I guess what I am most curious about at this point: Is there a correlation between eye dominance and right or left brain dominance?
Not that I know of, but I'm out of the field. Things may have changed.