Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you see do you remember the photos of the traveling gnome? Try it with a rubber ducky, a Mickey Mouse figurine, a Raggedy Anne doll, one of those annoying wind-up dogs that walks and barks, something of that sort. And for Pete Sake do not attempt to keep a straight face doing it.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-15-2016 at 08:16 PM.
01-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Did you see do you remember the photos of the traveling gnome? Tray it with a rubber ducky, a Mickey Mouse figurine, a Raggedy Anne doll, one of those annoying wind-up dogs that walks and barks, something of that sort. And for Pete Sake do not attempt to keep a straight face doing it.
Oh, I'd forgotten about those... Photo-postcards turning up for months with the gnome in different destinations... Brilliant!
01-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well this is turning into an inspiring thread.
01-15-2016, 09:04 PM - 2 Likes   #19

I take bumblebot wherever I go.

https://flic.kr/p/uH7LXf

01-15-2016, 09:31 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

My camera club had the 'insert old photo into the same scene' theme that was kinda fun (there was a book...I can't seem to come up with unique terms to google it, something like Recreation or Remembering or Recall):

For around the home, I have a drawer of "little stuff I've found that I plan to photograph on snowy days," dead insect or their exoskeletons, dried seedpods, shells, shiny things etc, stuff that won't go bad if it sits around for months or years before I get to it.

You can always raid the fridge for subjects. This was one from another club theme where we had to take 10 photos of one thing. My thing was an egg:

When in doubt, you can always take a self portrait, especially a racy shower one:

Or combine raiding the fridge with a self portrait:

It does't really matter if I end up with a good photo or not, amusing myself for a few hours with the camera is time well spent. There's probably a better way to phrase that.
01-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wowee there are some awesome ideas here! Thanks to everyone who responded and by all means don't stop! I will come back to this thread every time I need a little inspiration.
01-16-2016, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
It does't really matter if I end up with a good photo or not, amusing myself for a few hours with the camera is time well spent. There's probably a better way to phrase that.
I agree - whether-or-not the end result is amazing really doesn't matter; what does is that you have fun and keep shooting. I have a notepad document I keep open on my PC and whenever I come up with an idea for a photograph, no matter how silly or strange, I make a note of it. Sometimes I'll come back to it weeks later and pick one of the ideas to shoot. It helps on those days when inspiration is less forthcoming

01-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I agree - whether-or-not the end result is amazing really doesn't matter; what does is that you have fun and keep shooting. I have a notepad document I keep open on my PC and whenever I come up with an idea for a photograph, no matter how silly or strange, I make a note of it. Sometimes I'll come back to it weeks later and pick one of the ideas to shoot. It helps on those days when inspiration is less forthcoming
I carry a physical notepad/sketchpad with me for the same reason. Inspiration and free time don't always line up
01-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just started a list on my phone!
01-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

An inspirational thread! I struggle with the same issue from time to time (but then, who doesn't?). I usually resort to close ups/macro.

Arranging a safari for myself:

Photographing trivial objects using the ceramic cooking top for reflections - using some glass beads lit up by a torch/flashlight for background:

Catching colour and structure with a macro lens:

A Lensbaby will make you see the world differently:

01-17-2016, 09:40 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So after everyone's great ideas I finally found my photography muse and this is what I have come up with so far. I used my drawing manikin, a jaguar ring, and a tiny ship in a bottle as my props. I also used a flash light and tried light painting with a laser pointer!

01-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

cool dig 1 & 5
01-18-2016, 01:28 AM   #28
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
cool dig 1 & 5
Agreed. The laser painting is really cool - great idea!
01-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I agree. I like1,2, 4, & 5 best! good job!

Last edited by TinaS; 01-18-2016 at 04:55 AM.
01-18-2016, 04:51 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
So after everyone's great ideas I finally found my photography muse and this is what I have come up with so far. I used my drawing manikin, a jaguar ring, and a tiny ship in a bottle as my props. I also used a flash light and tried light painting with a laser pointer!
These are great!