Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
One thing I forgot to mention is I have no other flash other than the on-camera flash.
I do have a couple (2) of bright work lights (2700 lumens) though...

01-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
My husband spotted a possible owl in a tree in our back yard and I was able to capture what turned out to be a Screech Owl:

It's not the world's best Screech Owl picture, but I got it! ... It was pretty much black - I really could only see a slight white splotch through the viewfinder... but I got something decent by approximating hyperfocal distance (f/8, 300mm, 1/90s, ISO 800) and - most important! - using my Vivitar DF-383 flash at full power. I only took a few shots since I didn't want to blind it with the flash... BUT, this owl was only hopping from branch to branch, not swooping through the air... Still, I would think a tight-ish aperture and flash will go a long way, I think, even if you're trying to catch it in mid-swoop.

I could see the flash in the Owl's eyes because they look red, unless that's the natural color. What about those Long-throw flash-hoods some Nature Photographers use like this one: Visual Echoes FX3 Better Beamer Flash Extender for Use FX3 B&H
01-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if the trailcam's failure to be trigger is the size and speed of the owl? Packaging I've seen for some trailcams tends to show bigger/slower critters like deer. Even a raccoon or skunk is going to be a lot slower and offer more time to set off the camera. I wonder if having the camera low down aiming upwards might be of use? Checking this page Trail cameras and camera traps | Knowledge and advice it says that on some devices you can adjust the sensitivity of the motion detector to deal with foliage movement to avoid unwanted triggering. Maybe your model has such an adjustment that could be modified.
01-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Set the trail cam up again tonight, but not in video or photo mode.
Set it in timelapse to take a photo every ten seconds. Maybe we'll get something tonight

The trail cam has no sensitivity settings at all.

01-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great Horned Owl would be the only one big and lethal enough to take a full-grown turkey. When they kill grouse, they tear off the head with those massive talons and eat the brains first since that is the tastiest morsel for them with the densest protein. A creature not to be trifled with. Not sure how you would capture a hunting owl digitally without resorting to flash of some kind.
01-18-2016, 12:57 AM   #21
Forum Member

Thatīs an exciting experiment youīre doing there! Hope you get some results.
How about some constant illumination from an external source? Not too bright, just enough for you to use some decent camera settings.
I donīt think an owl will be put off by a little light, as long as the surrounding areas are dark.

Good luck!
01-18-2016, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
A creature not to be trifled with
I have heard that owls are best described as flying pillows filled with seething hate.
01-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
One thing I forgot to mention is I have no other flash other than the on-camera flash.
I do have a couple (2) of bright work lights (2700 lumens) though...
I'd go to a flea market, pick up a couple of old flashes and buy optical sensors to fire them. Mount them any way you can, tie them to a tree or use bean bags, then use the on camera flash to fire them. Maybe $50-100 expenditure. You will have to practice where to place or adjust them to get a good exposure.

The photo was taken at a Raptor sanctuary, and may not actually be a Horned Owl.

Last edited by tuggie76; 01-24-2016 at 03:14 PM.
01-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great Horned Owl would be the only one big and lethal enough to take a full-grown turkey. When they kill grouse, they tear off the head with those massive talons and eat the brains first since that is the tastiest morsel for them with the densest protein. A creature not to be trifled with. Not sure how you would capture a hunting owl digitally without resorting to flash of some kind.
The duck's head was missing when we found it dead.
IR flash and IR camera - trial cam.
Just about to get it to look at photos.
01-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Tuggie76 - Yes, great shot of a Great Horned Owl !
01-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #26
Pentaxian

@Tuggie76 - Yes, great shot of a Great Horned Owl !
Thanks jbin