Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might form your own group or find a group of like minded folks who want to see sunsets or sunrises. You may find existing groups you can leverage. You might tell your partner how important it is that he accompany you and not just barter but bargain for events he likes that you don't so that you both stay plugged in to the other's hobbies etc.

01-19-2016, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wearing hunter orange is a must during hunting season!! I tend to not wander into areas where there are hunters, as accidents do happen, when some hunters see something move.
Yeah, I just avoid those areas entirely during the season(s). (This is a much bigger deal in some parts of the country than others.) Even if I don't get shot, I'm just going to be annoying people with weapons if I'm tromping around in the forest.
01-19-2016, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a middle aged white male with a history of being able to take care of myself in the past. Despite this I have found locations that make me nervous wandering alone with or without photography gear to distract myself. I want my wife with me as a second pair of eyes and a second pair of fists! I'm willing to give up gear but there are many other things that can happen.

I'm inclined to think that this is also an area where statistics get us in trouble - low risk high consequence is a rotten area for us to evaluate without confusion.
01-19-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Get familiar with where you want to go before you go there. That's the main thing. Once you are familiar with the trails and wildlife or whatever it becomes much less a problem. I remember when I was a kid we used to play hide and seek in the forest behind my house. It was pitch black out there and sometimes we had moonlight and other times we didn't.
Me and my redneck bonafides say we even played outside in the woods barefooted in the pitch black. As for photography it means you will need to go to a place sometimes 5 or 6 times before you try the daybreak shot...

As for two legged criminals personally I carry a gun everywhere I can legally do so. Only once did I even think that I might have to draw it while I was out taking photos. Your odds are low but depending on where you go the risk goes up. Being a male its different though. I can defend myself and I plan on it if the need ever comes up. That said if you aren't 100% confident then just give em the stuff and hope that's all they want. A lot of people put themselves in risky positions for no good reason. If you're not sure make sure you have emergency numbers in your phone and take a friend along with you.

I can't stress it enough to try and avoid conflict at all cost. That means with bears or racoons or people who are super sketchy. Just be aware of your surroundings and more often than not you will be OK. I even went walking around some serious ghetto in the slums of Bogota... Even the locals won't go in there...but I did and I think I was able to go in because of when and where and how I did it. A 10am stroll through drug lord slums is one thing...a 10pm stroll is something else entirely.

01-19-2016, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Except some locations resemble the news, crime dramas, and NRA press releases...
Maybe not as much as you might think.

QuoteQuote:
I've also driven through the ghetto areas by accident.. seeing a bunch of disheveled folk in the street staring at you as you drive by shows you're not welcome.. don't stop.. just keep going.
We were doing photos of our production group and the photographer chose a location that was in one of the less-desirable sections of town, but which had a great view of the skyline. My co-workers were petrified to be there and insisted that nobody walk back to their car alone, even though the sun was still up. I kept trying to tell them, "Guys...it's okay. I live 3 blocks farther down. This isn't that dangerous as you're making it out to be. We sit out on the porch in the evenings and walk to the store all the time!" lol To be honest, I DID think we'd get robbed and beaten when we first moved into that area. What we found was that, for the most part, people are people...and the bad ones are the exception regardless of what color they come in.
01-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
All wonderful tips from every single one of you. Thank you.
So my plan is:
Get pepper spray, tiny weapon, or some such device.
Dress my camera in a shittier coat:-)
Scout locations before I attempt to go there at odd times
But most and foremost! Find few togs to go along and explore the woods together. I too get away to nature to be away from people,so it is a bit hard for me to just make new friends, but maybe if I find similar minded recluse we will just keep each other semi silent company:-)
01-19-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
All wonderful tips from every single one of you. Thank you.
So my plan is:
Get pepper spray, tiny weapon, or some such device.
Dress my camera in a shittier coat:-)
Scout locations before I attempt to go there at odd times
But most and foremost! Find few togs to go along and explore the woods together. I too get away to nature to be away from people,so it is a bit hard for me to just make new friends, but maybe if I find similar minded recluse we will just keep each other semi silent company:-)
Don't forget the ice-cold water wake up

01-19-2016, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Before you go off trail alone, let your husband know your destination and expected return time. Animals and other people aren't that much of a risk in most wilderness areas. A twisted ankle that leaves you immobilized, especially in an area without cell service, might force you to wait it out until your husband triggers a search party.

Research before you go. Hunting season, venomous snakes, bears, etc.

Visit a local hiking store to brush up on the basics.
01-19-2016, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Maybe not as much as you might think.
Oh but I do know. I live near a city known for some of the highest violent crime rates in the nation. The crazy stuff you hear about on the news is only the tip of the iceberg. I've seen the crime... in broad daylight... Crooks don't care. But at the same time, it is smarter not to provoke it and scout your locales first.

People are people.. and that is a scary point to consider... if you understand how violent people can become when they desperately want something and care nothing of the consequences...
01-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, our forests are definite bear grounds so I am now reading about how to safely photograph them and avoid contact. I did not think at all about a possible injury like ankle twist, makes sense...
01-19-2016, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

If you are truly going somewhere where you don't expect to see ANYBODY, and is out of cell phone range (in a mountainous area, that can be a mile away from town), then a device like this might be in order:

DeLorme inReach SE 2-Way Satellite Communicator - REI.com

My wife made me get one before I went on my first solo multi-day backpacking trip in Colorado...
01-19-2016, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #27
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
Yes, our forests are definite bear grounds so I am now reading about how to safely photograph them and avoid contact. I did not think at all about a possible injury like ankle twist, makes sense...
Also, ensure you know how to handle an encounter with particular types of bear (mainly grizzly vs black).. If I was going out that way, I'd opt for a friend if possible or (at the least) a satellite gps transponder as vonbaloney mentioned. And spray.. lol
01-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If you are truly going somewhere where you don't expect to see ANYBODY, and is out of cell phone range (in a mountainous area, that can be a mile away from town), then a device like this might be in order:

DeLorme inReach SE 2-Way Satellite Communicator - REI.com

My wife made me get one before I went on my first solo multi-day backpacking trip in Colorado...
Very cool gadget- yes, eventually I am planning to go to places like that(Colorado, Tetons)
01-19-2016, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

By not being paranoid There's no way someone would attack me in the wilderness at 4 am.
01-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
By not being paranoid There's no way someone would attack me in the wilderness at 4 am.
Bwahahaa, yes, I think you may be right most times, I guess I was always scared of the dark....:-)