Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
By not being paranoid There's no way someone would attack me in the wilderness at 4 am.
Ah the Ostrich theory of personal protection.

01-19-2016, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
Get pepper spray, tiny weapon, or some such device.
I do recommend the pepper or bear spray. However a weapon of any kind, unless you are very proficient with it, can be used against you by another person. The spray gives you time to get away from animals or humans. However, again know how to use it; don't ever spray when you are downwind!!! As far as bears, best protection is to make a lot of noise so that you don't surprise them. If you would encounter one, retreat backwards, rather than turning & running; I guarantee you cannot outrun one.

Again, your chances of ever encountering a bear, unless you are in an area actually looking for them, is very, very small! If you wish to photograph them, go to Yellowstone Park, where you can safely observe & photograph them from a safe distance. Of course there will be a few dozen others there also photographing them.

I've lived in bear country for about 20 years, and have only had one encounter with one.
01-19-2016, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ah the Ostrich theory of personal protection.
I also apply this theory to taking a swim (after all, I could faint and drown), watching a movie (might have a ruptured brain aneurysm and die on the couch) and buying bananas in the supermarket (occasionally there are news stories of people discovering exotic venomous spiders in imported crates of bananas).

I like to live dangerously
01-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I also apply this theory to taking a swim (after all, I could faint and drown), watching a movie (might have a ruptured brain aneurysm and die on the couch) and buying bananas in the supermarket (occasionally there are news stories of people discovering exotic venomous spiders in imported crates of bananas).

Bwahaha, you make me LOL. I am a cynic who personally things we can die pretty much anytime. I do believe that too much couch and office time will kill us.
So like risk too...just afraid of dark:-)

01-19-2016, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some slings straps have the ability to hold things, in the old days film cannisters. These might fit a pepper spray, just in case. Why not? Mail carriers keep it for a good reason.
01-19-2016, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you live in an area where there are other pentaxforums.com members, why not try meeting up with them?

Oh, and a loud whistle is always helpful. I carry a combo whistle/compass/thermometer that is small and lightweight.
01-19-2016, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
So like risk too...just afraid of dark:-)
Fenix RC40 Flashlight - REI.com

3,500 lm, 710 m throw

01-19-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No you don't apply this theory the same way. But even if you had - your risk and the risk of a typical average woman is quite different. This isn't about being paranoid. It's about being smart. If you take the risk, you take reasonable precautions. Your situation is not at the same risk levels. Your response is similar to the person paralyzed by fear - you have just gone the opposite way - the risk is small therefore it doesn't exist. Fine - stop wearing seatbelts, stop worrying about smoking, stop worrying about blood pressure, etc. At some point all of these risks can be considered small enough to be insignificant... unless you do the opportunity cost and determine that the effort to reduce risk is reasonable. At some point the effort to reduce risk is unreasonable - everyone makes different decisions around that but as long as the decision is rational it makes sense. Saying if you don't worry it won't happen - that's just wrong and insulting to those who do need to worry at least a little to make sure they are not going to regret not worrying later.
01-19-2016, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
No you don't apply this theory the same way. But even if you had - your risk and the risk of a typical average woman is quite different. This isn't about being paranoid. It's about being smart. If you take the risk, you take reasonable precautions. Your situation is not at the same risk levels. Your response is similar to the person paralyzed by fear - you have just gone the opposite way - the risk is small therefore it doesn't exist. Fine - stop wearing seatbelts, stop worrying about smoking, stop worrying about blood pressure, etc. At some point all of these risks can be considered small enough to be insignificant... unless you do the opportunity cost and determine that the effort to reduce risk is reasonable. At some point the effort to reduce risk is unreasonable - everyone makes different decisions around that but as long as the decision is rational it makes sense. Saying if you don't worry it won't happen - that's just wrong and insulting to those who do need to worry at least a little to make sure they are not going to regret not worrying later.
I'm talking about being out in the WILDERNESS at 4 AM, not a dodgy alleyway in the Bronx.
01-19-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm talking about being out in the WILDERNESS at 4 AM, not a dodgy alleyway in the Bronx
Women face different risks than men even in the wilderness.
01-19-2016, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've lived in a remote area (mountains) for about 20 years. At night when letting my dog out, I always take my bear spray, and a very bright flashlight out. Nothing has ever happened, but the one time I would not take precautions, who knows? I'd rather be prepared than have regrets later. BTW, I'm a female, going on 75 years old!
01-19-2016, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In urban areas, I try to look as plain, bordering on grubby, as I can. I carry a small kit (purse-like shoulder bag with camera and a few primes and my small travel tripod). So far it has kept me out of trouble wandering through the cities I visit. I think pepper spray is probably a good measure for you although I figure my tripod and even my camera might be used for defense if it came to it. I also try to carry myself in a way that says I belong there. I've had homeless guys hang out and tell their life stories to me while I shoot but never felt like they were a threat. Giving those guys a few dollars doesn't hurt either, especially if you might come back sometime.

In wilderness I feel much more at home and have never had a run-in with hostile wildlife or people. I just try to be aware, identify my likely risks beforehand, and be prepared for the things you know you will encounter like the risk of falling, avalanche, or exposure. Something like a Spot Navigator is a good idea if you go solo. I should probably get one but I haven't done it yet. Don't count on cell service, there often isn't any in truly remote areas.
My wife sometimes comes along, but usually doesn't. She's not that interested in photos when it's -20 and it can add stress for us both.
I also sometimes bring a friend or another photographer but the majority of my shoots happen solo and I like it that way.

I think for your urban outings, a camera club or some kind of group is probably a good idea, at least until you get more accustomed to doing this kind of thing.
If you ever want to catch a sunrise around Gunnison County (scenic Colorado) I'd let you come along with me if you like. I'm pretty harmless.
01-19-2016, 09:35 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Forum Member

Too funny, my wife who finds me to be a complete nerd, which I secretly am, actually has come to enjoy my photo outings. I just have to make it fun for her, and she now calls it "Photo Safari" which is kind of cool because without me even bringing it up she will now even plans for the upcoming weekend to go on a Photo Safari. The challenge, which she likes, is just finding some place that SHE will find interesting to explore (and if she can bring the dog that helps). Then, find an out of the way place to have a cocktail and some food and explore the local culture - Photo Safari rocks and my wife likes it because she feels involved and can pick the location and subject, and she also has dubbed herself Location Manager and Chief Photo Assistant (i.e. she gets to carry my bag with water bottle)...after safari cocktails help too.
01-19-2016, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Situational awareness plus, when out in the bush, a large can of bear spray in a drop leg holster.
01-19-2016, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Some good advice here.

To me, most sensationlised attacks, such as Shark, Crocodile, Bear or Snake Bite get a lot of attention, whilst most people just end up lost, dehydrated, injured or suffer from exposure etc leading to more common serious consequences. Most of these things are brought about by a human condition..... called ignorance.

Like most things, urban or country, consider the enviroment your going into, prepare accordingly, have some form of communications with you (if possible), consider how you'd self rescue, be appropiately attired etc. In the end, we are all going to die sometime, it's very natural.....take stock of any irrational fears and work through them to ensure you've lived.

And remember, sunsets were created especially for those of us that aren't morning people.