Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
How do you protect yourself and your gear when outdoors in odd times

Hello fellow shutterbugs.
I keep running into this and never asked a fellow experienced photographers for advice. I am only a yearling in photography but have great aspirations. I have no one enthusiastic or a photographer to go shooting with and find myself alone most times. I am 36 years old female of average build.

Scenario 1: I often have grand plans to go out for sunrise/sunset session for wildlife or landscapes or star trail photos at night, into local parks/cemeteries or even a bit remote locations I plan to fly to in a future. I often end up not going because I am not a morning person, so I fall back asleep, but huge part of it is because I actually feel scared of the idea of being outdoors between 4-7am or at night alone somewhere remote. I know attacks by weird people would be more true for local parks near towns, but I also just cannot imagine hiking up a remote nature trail at 4,5am alone either. Meeting a bear would be awesome too, but I would poo my pants. I was recently in Zion and imagined something epic I could do but my partner refused to get up early with me and hike for hours just to see sunrise from the top...I ended up doing nothing again. Same goes for night star trails, he was being lazy and I really did not want to go alone. I missed out on at least 2-3 concepts.

Scenario 2: Even in regular daytime hours, when I find myself in local park trail that goes for hours, I get twitchy and keep looking over my shoulder.
This really impedes my efforts as I am by nature an explorer and hope to track some animals and I know i am never giving up this pursuit of nature and photography. But often I just stick to the trail not finding any animals, because they probably hang out somewhere more remote. And this is during the day in a public place! I usually avoid eye contact pretending to be confident photographer with heavy stride, and hide my camera whenever I can, but usually it has to hang on my neck ready to be used.

I am planning on making a distant trips to the national parks or other states which i would have to fly to, fund myself, and I find it very disruptive that i would put up so much effort, but then waste money and time, just to sleep in, miss out opportunities because I was scared.

What can I do to:
1. be less paranoid about darkness and odd times
2. be less paranoid about people potentially stealing my gear at gunpoint
3. protect my gear in case I encounter someone hostile who wants my gear or chases me
4. protect myself
5. make it appear less conspicuous that i have gear

Thank you for any and all tips from both male and female wildlife photogs.

01-19-2016, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Carry bear spray for protection against animals (make sure you know how to use it).
Have a morning alarm that starts at 4 am by dumping a bucket of ice cold water on your head, you'll be wide awake
01-19-2016, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
What can I do to: 1. be less paranoid about darkness and odd times 2. be less paranoid about people potentially stealing my gear at gunpoint 3. protect my gear in case I encounter someone hostile who wants my gear or chases me 4. protect myself 5. make it appear less conspicuous that i have gear
1. Being paranoid to a certain extent is good; because it will make you more aware of your surrounding.
2. If someone wants your gear at gunpoint, GIVE IT TO THEM!!
3. Same as 2; if someone wants your gear. Chasing you? Carry a small canister of pepper spray, and run faster!!
4. Carry your gear in old, beatup bags, or even a diaper bag! Few would want to steal a diaper bag!

All in all; the chances of something happening to you are very, very slim. Just stay alert, and enjoy your photography! I'm also a female photographer, and 99% of my photography is in remote areas, alone.

Last edited by csa; 01-19-2016 at 10:50 AM.
01-19-2016, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was recently in Zion and imagined something epic I could do but my partner refused to get up early with me and hike for hours just to see sunrise from the top...I ended up doing nothing again. Same goes for night star trails, he was being lazy and I really did not want to go alone. I missed out on at least 2-3 concepts.
Use goods or services you have available to barter for your partner's time. Or get a new partner.

Have you tried meeting other local photographers so you have someone willing to go exploring with at otherwise awkward times in remote areas? They don't necessarily have to be photographers either, there are all sorts of nature weirdos who would be willing to hike to remote places at absurd times to view spectacular sunrises or to chase after various flora or fauna.

01-19-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Stop watching the news, crime dramas, and NRA press releases. They are deliberately sensationalized to get good ratings. They don't accurately reflect the real world.
Hehehe, I don't watch news:-) I only listen to NPR. My head is too filled with animal photos and adventure planning, so I don't have time for anything else.
01-19-2016, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Cemetaries require permission from the owning parties to photograph in, so obtain permission prior to shooting, and let them know when you'll be doing the shoot. State parks are a great place for night photography, but yes, be careful about wildlife. Mountain lions will stalk humans at night, skunks are abundant as are porcupines, bears are more active during daylight and twilight hours rather than at night but that is based more around food availabilty/park activity levels.

Shooting at state parks at night, general guidelines:

1.) Make sure it's legal to be there after X time. (At my local SP, there are only 6 or so areas you can be at night, all have the requirement of "shoreline fishing", and some added areas have "boat launching", otherwise they are closed to public after sunset and will result in a ticket).

2.) Lanterns: in weather above 40 deg's F, propane is the way to go, colder than that, use battery lanterns. But always have your area well lit until you do your actual shooting and then temporarily turn the lanterns down/off. Not only will you be able to see, but lighting is a nice deterrent against wildlife that rely on sneaking up on its prey.

3.) Have some contingency for inclement weather. Plans for how to quickly stow the gear away, covering up from rain, getting to shelter quickly in the event of lighting, etc... There is no substitute for preparedness, always expect something to go wrong.

4.) Food attracts wildlife. Try to avoid eating at your destination, eat at home or somewhere else prior to your photo session.

5.) Remember that foxes, bats, and raccoons are major carriers of rabies. If raccoons or foxes wander into your area and are acting strangely or entirely too friendly, avoid them. Most animals should be frightened of humans and avoid them when possible.

6.) Take along something to do. Sometimes you just have to wait for conditions to improve, or to get a shot you want.... it can be a very boring wait.

7.) Know your emergency numbers. State parks will usually have emergency phones in certain areas in case you don't have a cellphone or can't get a signal. Make it a point to know where the closest emergency phone is to your location.

8.) Know where the bathrooms are, and whether they are open (some facilities get locked at night or for the off-season). Take toilet paper with you in case of an emergency.

9.) You can NEVER have too many flashlights and spare batteries. Same with propane tanks for propane lanterns. Always have spares.

Your location says "EAST" so I'm guessing you live in an area without grizzly bears. Bear spray would be a good bit of overkill in that case. Bears do NOT like loud noises, and most eastern black bears will run if you do something like bang a flashlight on a metal trashcan lid. The biggest advice I can give is to be aware of your surroundings. Pretty much everything can fall under this from location of emergency phones, to preventing wildlife from sneaking up on you.

Guidelines for private property/Cemetaries:

1.) Obtain permission from owners (written if possible).
2.) Inform them of when you'll be doing photoshoots.
3.) Be aware of your surroundings.
4.) Be respectful of the property.
01-19-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
1. Being paranoid to a certain extent is good; because it will make you more aware of your surrounding.
2. If someone wants your gear at gunpoint, GIVE IT TO THEM!!
3. Same as 2; if someone wants your gear. Chasing you? Carry a small canister of pepper spray, and run faster!!
4. Carry your gear in old, beatup bags, or even a diaper bag! Few would want to steal a diaper bag!

All in all; the chances of something happening to you are very, very slim. Just stay alert, and enjoy your photography! I'm also a female photographer, and 99% of my photography is in remote areas, alone.
I am glad for this answer. I am aware most of this is being irrational fear. Nothing bad really ever happened to me in the past, besides some creepers on the street when I was younger. I guess I am still very new to photography and it's demands. But if I want to become serious about it I will definitely have to get out more and in more odd times.

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 01:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Use goods or services you have available to barter for your partner's time. Or get a new partner.

Have you tried meeting other local photographers so you have someone willing to go exploring with at otherwise awkward times in remote areas? They don't necessarily have to be photographers either, there are all sorts of nature weirdos who would be willing to hike to remote places at absurd times to view spectacular sunrises or to chase after various flora or fauna.
Bwahahaha, I meant husband by partner- I think i still have few ideas for barter services:-) Yes. I am from today in a process of looking for people who might be interested in going outdoors. I guess I always started things on my own, so in all hobbies never had "club" or peers. I do wish to have 2-3 people I could call drag out once in a while.

---------- Post added 01-19-16 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Cemetaries require permission from the owning parties to photograph in, so obtain permission prior to shooting, and let them know when you'll be doing the shoot. State parks are a great place for night photography, but yes, be careful about wildlife. Mountain lions will stalk humans at night, skunks are abundant as are porcupines, bears are more active during daylight and twilight hours rather than at night but that is based more around food availabilty/park activity levels.

Shooting at state parks at night, general guidelines:

1.) Make sure it's legal to be there after X time. (At my local SP, there are only 6 or so areas you can be at night, all have the requirement of "shoreline fishing", and some added areas have "boat launching", otherwise they are closed to public after sunset and will result in a ticket).

2.) Lanterns: in weather above 40 deg's F, propane is the way to go, colder than that, use battery lanterns. But always have your area well lit until you do your actual shooting and then temporarily turn the lanterns down/off. Not only will you be able to see, but lighting is a nice deterrent against wildlife that rely on sneaking up on its prey.

3.) Have some contingency for inclement weather. Plans for how to quickly stow the gear away, covering up from rain, getting to shelter quickly in the event of lighting, etc... There is no substitute for preparedness, always expect something to go wrong.

4.) Food attracts wildlife. Try to avoid eating at your destination, eat at home or somewhere else prior to your photo session.

5.) Remember that foxes, bats, and raccoons are major carriers of rabies. If raccoons or foxes wander into your area and are acting strangely or entirely too friendly, avoid them. Most animals should be frightened of humans and avoid them when possible.

6.) Take along something to do. Sometimes you just have to wait for conditions to improve, or to get a shot you want.... it can be a very boring wait.

7.) Know your emergency numbers. State parks will usually have emergency phones in certain areas in case you don't have a cellphone or can't get a signal. Make it a point to know where the closest emergency phone is to your location.

8.) Know where the bathrooms are, and whether they are open (some facilities get locked at night or for the off-season). Take toilet paper with you in case of an emergency.

9.) You can NEVER have too many flashlights and spare batteries. Same with propane tanks for propane lanterns. Always have spares.

Your location says "EAST" so I'm guessing you live in an area without grizzly bears. Bear spray would be a good bit of overkill in that case. Bears do NOT like loud noises, and most eastern black bears will run if you do something like bang a flashlight on a metal trashcan lid. The biggest advice I can give is to be aware of your surroundings. Pretty much everything can fall under this from location of emergency phones, to preventing wildlife from sneaking up on you.

Guidelines for private property/Cemetaries:

1.) Obtain permission from owners (written if possible).
2.) Inform them of when you'll be doing photoshoots.
3.) Be aware of your surroundings.
4.) Be respectful of the property.
Very good list of ideas. As I progress to more and more wilderness as life goes, this is very useful. Thank you;-)

01-19-2016, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I find that my K3 and 500mm sigma look like junk if wrapped in a weather shield. Not the nice tidy neoprene covers, but a cloth or plastic cover. People don't look at it twice. It gets far less attention than when I have the K3 with say a 12-24 or some shorter lens on a strap around my neck.

Critters? If you are afraid, don't go. Learn how they live, where they are, their habits and tolerations. You can learn by going with others, but always listen to your fear or nervousness. They know what you are feeling by smell, and will react.
01-19-2016, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Find a group of photographers in your area (3-6 people) to do these things with. More than 2 people assures that you will feel some responsibility to get up and show up, as well as safety in numbers. Go on those hikes with people (or overnight camping trips), and you'll gain some confidence to do them by yourself later on (if you like). If nothing else, there are astronomy groups everywhere, and they like to take trips to un-light-polluted areas at night.

Some things it truly is smarter to do with at least a partner, and I'm afraid women do have some extra considerations. As I'm sure you well know if you're alone you will from time-to-time get unwanted attention which runs from annoying (someone trying to talk to you when you just want to be on your way or take your shots without being bothered) to worse. Still, for most national & state parks, hiking trails, etc, i.e. "nature destinations", you're very unlikely to run into trouble and don't want to succumb to pure paranoia. (Although there are a few spots like that to avoid also, read reviews of your destinations on travel sites, hiking trail sites, etc.) I hike and bike in any nature-type location I can find, and I see unaccompanied females all the time (some doing photography). As I say, do some of these things with other people, but imagine yourself alone -- would something bad have happened? Did you run across some creepy characters? Probably not. And if you do go to remote areas alone, you do need to be smart, prepared, etc. Depends how remote we're talking about.

It's almost opposite for me. As a middle-aged white guy, I will go anywhere remote anytime of day (that isn't illegal) and I don't worry about it, no one bothers me. (In fact, that's half the reason I do it -- to get away from people.) But if I'm in any more public area (that isn't an obvious tourist destination) where there are kids around, I want my wife there so people don't call the cops on the creepy weirdo with the camera. Also when I'm driving around looking for old buildings and things to shoot (where we don't trespass, but often nearly so, or are wandering around abandoned areas) I definitely prefer to be with my wife so again so I don't look suspicious. (When she's there we both have cameras and we're walking around pointing at stuff, sometimes I think it looks like we were actually sent to where ever we are to do some project.)

So, use your head, have some situational awareness, and if you're not comfortable, know the reason why or find a way to get comfortable. (Also on public lands that allow hunting, know what season it is if any -- hunters flood into certain areas at certain times making them pretty tough for wildlife photography.)
01-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I find that my K3 and 500mm sigma look like junk if wrapped in a weather shield. Not the nice tidy neoprene covers, but a cloth or plastic cover. People don't look at it twice. It gets far less attention than when I have the K3 with say a 12-24 or some shorter lens on a strap around my neck.

Critters? If you are afraid, don't go. Learn how they live, where they are, their habits and tolerations. You can learn by going with others, but always listen to your fear or nervousness. They know what you are feeling by smell, and will react.
That's a good idea with the crappy cover. I have only the 300DA but every time I met someone who does not know too much, they thought it is a professional set up.
I love critters, so I do look for them and most times I am not scared, just of the bear since I know how fast they are. But I read enough bear posts to know that they don't bother anyone unless something weird happens.
01-19-2016, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Bwahahaha, I meant husband by partner- I think i still have few ideas for barter services:-).
That's what I figured. I'm trying not to be lewd.

Check out local camera clubs or naturalist groups. Even in my relatively sparsely populated area I have several to choose from, and a few online ones (especially Facebook). Shop around and get to know a few people. Even if they aren't photography oriented, my local naturalist club is absolutely loaded with retired people who are filled with information about nature (including animal safety), have no fixed schedule, and no longer need alarm clocks to wake up in the wee hours of the morning. As one of the (relatively) younger members of the group, it's practically my duty to sponge as much information off them as possible so I can pass on to the next wave of nature lovers.
01-19-2016, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to shoot in our downtown area at sunrise a lot. Only once did I have an instance where I thought someone was intending to rip me off. Actually...that's not correct. I had several instances where I THOUGHT someone was wanting to rip me off, but I was wrong every time except once. Sounds like you're already staying aware of what's happening around you and that's the biggest thing, I think. Whenever possible, work close to your car so you have somewhere to go should someone try to approach you. For the most part, though, people are fairly friendly...at least around here they are. I had one homeless guy that got used to seeing me downtown and he'd ask what I was shooting that day. I was shooting from a bridge in a sketchy part of town one evening when a car pulled up directly behind me while I was looking through the viewfinder and quickly stopped. My first thought was that it was someone who was going to try to grab my camera bag and take off. But when I stood up and turned around, it was just a lady leaning out her window trying to take the same photo I was shooting.
01-19-2016, 11:49 AM - 2 Likes   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
(Also on public lands that allow hunting, know what season it is if any -- hunters flood into certain areas at certain times making them pretty tough for wildlife photography.)
Wearing hunter orange is a must during hunting season!! I tend to not wander into areas where there are hunters, as accidents do happen, when some hunters see something move.
01-19-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Stop watching the news, crime dramas, and NRA press releases. They are deliberately sensationalized to get good ratings. They don't accurately reflect the real world.
Except some locations resemble the news, crime dramas, and NRA press releases...

I would say, know the locale you are venturing into (for crime levels) and don't be there at odd hours.. or maybe at all.. some places aren't safe even in the day time.

An example.. There is a boat ramp in the middle of no where (boonies) that I've visited in the middle of the day.. I've wanted to be there to take photos of the sun setting on the water. Yet throughout the parking lot I see the history of what has occurred there at night. Ashes from a bonfire, spent shotgun shells, tons of empty beer cans, and used condoms.. definitely not the location to be at during dusk.

I've also driven through the ghetto areas by accident.. seeing a bunch of disheveled folk in the street staring at you as you drive by shows you're not welcome.. don't stop.. just keep going.

That is to say, be smart. Your most valuable protection is not getting yourself into a dangerous situation in the first place!
01-19-2016, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #15

I think situation awareness is a good, but educate yourself on the location of your shoot. That could be wildlife, weather and layout of the area and when on the road lock up your equipment up in the trunk
or cover your things in the vehicle. I think the more you are out and shooting you will become more comfortable, the drive there is way more dangerous.