Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #61
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KatPal Quote
I am totally picturing this scenario of a gleeful squee when I find a suitable rock! Very practical.
Think of the poor creature that decides to huddle under that rock for shelter only to, unbeknownst to them, end up in a chamber of poo. Definitely a bummer day for them you are setting up.

01-23-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Could always get a nice wide angle lens and do some night shooting from a kayak like I do... lol.
no good, have you heard about the recent rash of kayakers getting shot with flamethrowers from shore?
01-23-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello fellow shutterbugs.
I keep running into this and never asked a fellow experienced photographers for advice. I am only a yearling in photography but have great aspirations. I have no one enthusiastic or a photographer to go shooting with and find myself alone most times. I am 36 years old female of average build.
We go out with lots of those, and I've met women soloing in both Algonquin park and Temagami. People who get themselves out into the wilderness are almost always good people. Sometimes they haven't seen anyone for a few days, and want to talk more than you'd like. It's just a risk you have to take.

Scenario 1: I often have grand plans to go out for sunrise/sunset session for wildlife or landscapes or star trail photos at night, into local parks/cemeteries or even a bit remote locations I plan to fly to in a future. I often end up not going because I am not a morning person, so I fall back asleep, but huge part of it is because I actually feel scared of the idea of being outdoors between 4-7am or at night alone somewhere remote. I know attacks by weird people would be more true for local parks near towns, but I also just cannot imagine hiking up a remote nature trail at 4,5am alone either. Meeting a bear would be awesome too, but I would poo my pants. I was recently in Zion and imagined something epic I could do but my partner refused to get up early with me and hike for hours just to see sunrise from the top...I ended up doing nothing again. Same goes for night star trails, he was being lazy and I really did not want to go alone. I missed out on at least 2-3 concepts.
The best thing for me, not a morning person is to sleep where the action is. Despite not being a morning person, If I look out my tent window and there's a view out there, I don't care who you are, if you open your tent door and see this, you're up.

As for the being scared part, that can be an issue, as an outfitter/guide we've taken out people who never got over it and had a terrible trip. They couldn't sleep, every noise woke them up. One swore she'd been poked by a bear. I would love to say, getting out and just doing it will help you, but my experience says otherwise. Some have given it the old college try and failed. That being said, my wife or I take at least one group of photographers into Algonquin Park every year. I'm sure you can find local people who do the same.

Scenario 2: Even in regular daytime hours, when I find myself in local park trail that goes for hours, I get twitchy and keep looking over my shoulder.
This really impedes my efforts as I am by nature an explorer and hope to track some animals and I know i am never giving up this pursuit of nature and photography. But often I just stick to the trail not finding any animals, because they probably hang out somewhere more remote. And this is during the day in a public place! I usually avoid eye contact pretending to be confident photographer with heavy stride, and hide my camera whenever I can, but usually it has to hang on my neck ready to be used. Camping out, as far as I am concerned is key. I have many sunsets and sunrises that couldn't have been taken, at least not by me, if my tent wasn't right there near the site.
I am planning on making a distant trips to the national parks or other states which i would have to fly to, fund myself, and I find it very disruptive that i would put up so much effort, but then waste money and time, just to sleep in, miss out opportunities because I was scared.

What can I do to:
1. be less paranoid about darkness and odd times
2. be less paranoid about people potentially stealing my gear at gunpoint
3. protect my gear in case I encounter someone hostile who wants my gear or chases me
4. protect myself
5. make it appear less conspicuous that i have gear

Thank you for any and all tips from both male and female wildlife photogs.

1. get a good solid walking stick, you can actually beat off a bear with well placed blows to the nose. Plus they can be nice for walking. Get something solid.

Get one of these to wear on your belt.

This is my wife tess's., and it's a 4 inch blade. It's actually a lot smaller the the fish filleting knife that's always in my kitchen kit. You don't need a big honking, "mine is bigger than yours" man knife. I bought this for her, because, we can use it at wine and cheese parties, and it's small, so she might actually wear it. It's pretty close to life size on your screen. It's not for your use taking on wild animals head on, although I have heard of a guy killing bear with a knife this size, when it was distracted by his dog. it's for cutting rope, slicing veggies, whittling tent pegs and marshmallow sticks, and helping you feel safe. Tess gave me her big "man knife "years ago. She wouldn't wear it, but she always felt better if I was wearing it. This is hers full time. And get something you think is beautiful, that you can wear as a fashion accessory. Sleep with the knife beside you and the solid stick across the front of your tent where it's the first thing you touch when your hand comes out the door.

2. This is all psychological, only going a lot of places and realizing that this type of person rarely expends any serious amount of time energy and cash, on the odd chance they might find someone to rob.

3. If you meet someone hostile, ditch your gear. Get back to help as quickly as possible. Gear can only slow you down and make you a sitting duck.

4. see above

5. just find a good camera bag that looks like it could be somebody's homework. Nobody wants to steal someone's homework.

Looks like some high school student's book bag, with room for their lunch.

Inside

Pentax 60-250, 40XS, DA 21 ltd. Sigma 8-16, Sigma 70 macro, DA 18-135, HD DA 1.4 TC, K-3and my iPad mini for when I want to show other photographers my images or read books in my tent.. Unfortunately, no room for lunch. I've had ordinary packs with a few clothes fall victims to smash and grabs in city's. This isn't a guarantee, but buying a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag is the best you can do here.

Around camp and overnight, everything goes in a pelican case. If it starts raining, you need to secure your tent and your gear, you don't need to be thinking about your camera gear. I keep my gear outside the tent, in the secure, waterproof, shocckproof case. I don't need the camera in the tent and there isn't a lot of room in portable tents, so it shouldn't be there. And I don't want to bet worried about water getting into it. When you're done with it around the campsite, it goes in the pelican case. A pelican case also makes a great seat, especially with a life jacket on top.

Your pelican cases must fit inside other packs for portability. Nothing will get you grumpier faster than carrying any gear outside of a pack.

Other suggestions. get a GPS. Make sure you have good basic kit, you have your knife (hopefully) a good survival blow torch type lighter than can ignite wet wood. a small pair of pliers and a small flashlight.. A compass and appropriate maps for where you are going. learn the appropriate survival skills for if you ever had to spend a night in the woods. You'll probably never have to do it, but if you know you can, and how to do it, you won't worry.

This is as far as I'm concerned this is the minimum gear to carry if you are hiking off trail. You need a map of the area loaded into the GPS, and a paper map so you can see the big picture. Also you also should have some light weight rain gear. You always need to know how to stay warm, and dry, and find your way out, even if you think "I'm just going for a couple of hours." I've had those adventures turn into major outings a couple of times. You need to both have this gear, and understand how to use them. Otherwise, going off trail is always going to be dangerous. I've been lost on a short walk from my campsite and needed all my bush skills to find my way back. I've at least once I have found someone from my party about to get lost, just collecting firewood.

And lastly, don't do a lost in the wilds thing and believe you can get the skills you need to be a wilderness camper/hiker/photgrapher on your own. Spend at least a weekend with someone who does what you want to do, as a paid excursion, before heading off yourself. One weekend with an experienced outdoors person is worth more than reading 5 long books on the subject. Picking up basic camps skills and organization, schedule etc. you save a lot of grief if you pick it up right the first time.

First thing in the morning. The orange case caries the 60-250 , Sigma 8-16, macro and primes.
The red case carries the K-3 and 18-135, the yellow bag carries the a-400, wrapped up in 3/8 inch sleeping pad foam and in it's original case, and water sealed.

I can have a camera out and ready to shoot in seconds, if anything interesting happens outside my tent, which from this position has a great view of sunsets and sunrises, and a moose meadow across the lake. It doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited by normhead; 01-25-2016 at 08:42 AM.
01-23-2016, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

There's been a lot of advice about pepper spray, knives, & weapons. Knife laws vary widely by state in the U.S., so make sure you check those. Also there are restrictions about pepper spray, bear spray, tasers, etc, depending. If you are going to any national forest area, you can call up the ranger station -- they are usually happy & eager to answer questions and tell you about current conditions...

US Knife Laws | KnifeUp

01-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #65
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We go out with lots of those, and I've met women soloing in both Algonquin park and Temagami. People who get themselves out into the wilderness are almost always good people. Sometimes they haven't seen anyone for a few days, and want to talk more than you'd like. It's just a risk you have to take.

The best thing for me, not a morning person is to sleep where the action is. Despite not being a morning person, If I look out my tent window and there's a view out there, I don't care who you are, if you open your tent door and see this, you're up.

As for the being scared part, that can be an issue, as an outfitter/guide we've taken out people who never got over it and had a terrible trip. They couldn't sleep, every noise woke them up. One swore she'd been poked by a bear. I would love to say, getting out and just doing it will help you, but my experience says otherwise. Some have given it the old college try and failed. That being said, my wife or I take at least one group of photographers into Algonquin Park every year. I'm sure you can find local people who do the same.

1. get a good solid walking stick, you can actually beat off a bear with well placed blows to the nose. Plus they can be nice for walking. Get something solid.

Get one of these to wear on your belt.

This is my wife tess's., and it's a 4 inch blade. It's actually a lot smaller the the fish filleting knife that's always in my kitchen kit. You don't need a big honking, "mine is bigger than yours" man knife. I bought this for her, because, we can use it at wine and cheese parties, and it's small, so she might actually wear it. It's pretty close to life size on your screen. It's not for your use taking on wild animals head on, although I have heard of a guy killing bear with a knife this size, when it was distracted by his dog. it's for cutting rope, slicing veggies, whittling tent pegs and marshmallow sticks, and helping you feel safe. Tess gave me her big "man knife "years ago. She wouldn't wear it, but she always felt better if I was wearing it. This is hers full time. And get something you think is beautiful, that you can wear as a fashion accessory. Sleep with the knife beside you and the solid stick across the front of your tent where it's the first thing you touch when your hand comes out the door.

2. This is all psychological, only going a lot of places and realizing that this type of person rarely expends any serious amount of time energy and cash, on the odd chance they might find someone to rob.

3. If you meet someone hostile, ditch your gear. Get back to help as quickly as possible. Gear can only slow you down and make you a sitting duck.

4. see above

5. just find a good camera bag that looks like it could be somebody's homework. Nobody wants to steal someone's homework.

Looks like some high school student's book bag, with room for their lunch.

Inside

Pentax 60-250, 40XS, DA 21 ltd. Sigma 8-16, Sigma 70 macro, DA 18-135, HD DA 1.4 TC, K-3and my iPad mini for when I want to show other photographers my images or read books in my tent.. Unfortunately, no room for lunch. I've had ordinary packs with a few clothes fall victims to smash and grabs in city's. This isn't a guarantee, but buying a camera bag that doesn't look like a camera bag is the best you can do here.

Around camp and overnight, everything goes in a pelican case. If it starts raining, you need to secure your tent and your gear, you don't need to be thinking about your camera gear. I keep my gear outside the tent, in the secure, waterproof, shocckproof case. I don't need the camera in the tent and there isn't a lot of room in portable tents, so it shouldn't be there. And I don't want to bet worried about water getting into it. When you're done with it around the campsite, it goes in the pelican case. A pelican case also makes a great seat, especially with a life jacket on top.

Your pelican cases must fit inside other packs for portability. Nothing will get you grumpier faster than carrying any gear outside of a pack.

Other suggestions. get a GPS. Make sure you have good basic kit, you have your knife (hopefully) a good survival blow torch type lighter than can ignite wet wood. a small pair of pliers and a small flashlight.. A compass and appropriate maps for where you are going. learn the appropriate survival skills for if you ever had to spend a night in the woods. You'll probably never have to do it, but if you know you can, and how to do it, you won't worry.

This is as far as I'm concerned this is the minimum gear to carry if you are hiking off trail. You need a map of the area loaded into the GPS, and a paper map so you can see the big picture. Also you also should have some light weight rain gear. You always need to know how to stay warm, and dry, and find your way out, even if you think "I'm just going for a couple of hours." I've had those adventures turn into major outings a couple of times. You need to both have this gear, and understand how to use them. Otherwise, going off trail is always going to be dangerous. I've been lost on a short walk from my campsite and needed all my bush skills to find my way back. I've at least once I have found someone from my party about to get lost, just collecting firewood.

And lastly, don't do a lost in the wilds thing and believe you can get the skills you need to be a wilderness camper/hiker/photgrapher on your own. Spend at least a weekend with someone who does what you want to do, as a paid excursion, before heading off yourself. One weekend with an experienced outdoors person is worth more than reading 5 long books on the subject. Picking up basic camps skills and organization, schedule etc. you save a lot of grief if you pick it up right the first time.

First thing in the morning. The orange case caries the 60-250 , Sigma 8-16, macro and primes.
The red case carries the K-3 and 18-135, the yellow bag carries the a-400, wrapped up in 3/8 inch sleeping pad foam and in it's original case, and water sealed.

I can have a camera out and ready to shoot in seconds, if anything interesting happens outside my tent, which from this position has a great view of sunsets and sunrises, and a moose meadow across the lake. It doesn't get much better than that.
Wow- thank you for this epic post. It gives me an idea how you go camping with the gear- and some pretty locations! Which state do you give tours in?
How did you carry those pelicans in, all in your backpack?
:-) It was an informative and entertaining read!
01-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Thanks, I live in Canada snd we run guided trips into Algonquin Park.

Everything goes in canoe packs. Except my working camera, most days the K-3 and 18-135, go in the little red case which goes under my canoe seat. It is also small enough to go in a day pack if needed. Here's my wife Tess with the dogs and a canoe full of all our stuff. The dogs usually sleep on top of the packs while we travel.

Last edited by normhead; 01-26-2016 at 10:49 AM.
01-26-2016, 10:46 AM   #67
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, I live in Canada snd we run guided trips into Algonquin Park.

Everything goes in canoe packs. Except my working camera, most days the K-3 and 18-135, go in the little red case which goes under my canoe sit. It is also small enough to go in a day pack if needed. Here's my wife Tess with the dogs and a canoe full of all our stuff. The dogs usually sleep on top of the packs while we travel.
How do you make sure you don't drown your stuff? I was on lake george canoeing once and a motor boat wave tipped us over with all our stuff....luckily I only and cellphone and money but cannot even imagine drowning my camera..

01-26-2016, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

How do you make sure you don't drown your stuff? I was on lake george canoeing once and a motor boat wave tipped us over with all our stuff....luckily I only and cellphone and money but cannot even imagine drowning my camera..
I think "canoe pack" = "dry bag" -- made for kayaking and canoeing (waterproof, floats). Of course if the camera is in your hand...
01-26-2016, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Those big bags you see in the boat are canoe packs. They are waterproof. SO in essence, my expensive gear is double bagged. Carried in a shockproof water proof pelican case inside a waterproof but less so canoe packs. Our sleeping bags and clothes are also inside waterproof dry sacks inside the water proof canoe packs. Tents and kitchen stuff, etc don't need to be in dry sacks. Food is in the waterproof yellow barrel, right in front of Tess. )The blue barrel behind Tess is for dog food. Dogs eat a lot, this was a 16 day trip. If i want the camera out in the boat it's in the waterproof red pelican case under my seat, and only comes out when I'm actually using it.

This is my right away camera for in the boat.

For camera gear, I'm always happiest with some kind of double protection system. You don't want your gear ruined by an equipment failure.

Last edited by normhead; 01-26-2016 at 11:31 AM.
01-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Read your last couple posts on this thread, Norm. I've got the same Swiss Army knife as you, always in my pocket. For a compass I would suggest not an engineering compass which you show there, a proper compass is a lot easier to use. I use a Suunto MC-2 for my compass, which is quite a nice one and the mirror could be used as a signal mirror if needed. Also always have spare batteries for the headlight/torch in a waterproof container. A small (waterproof) container of around 20 strike anywhere matches are also with that kit of basic stuff. Learning to read a topographical map is a great valuable skill so you can navigate from the middle of nowhere with just a map and compass. Don't forget about declination when navigating. A small radio or a spot device is a also a good tool for emergencies, make sure you know how to use them. Learning survival skills like Norm suggested is also a great idea, I've learnt a lot of stuff I hope I never need to use including first aid. Always make sure you have a basic first aid kit - that's another post altogether. As Norm said a knife isn't always better as it is bigger, a nice 4-6 inch blade will be a lot more useful than a machete. Hmm what else? I'm not sure. All of Norm's advice is good. Norm, have you ever had a canoe flip loaded with gear?
01-26-2016, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a small 2L dry bag I use when my camera comes along rafting/kayaking or when I backpack. I put a couple of camera bag pads in it to keeps things from knocking together and can store a body and a few small to medium lenses in it. Usually that is plenty for the amount of gear I'm willing to carry in these kinds of conditions.

My knife of choice in the backcountry is a classic Leatherman which is also handy for fixing stuff like bindings or my stove. I also have fire starter, compass, first aid, headlamp (and batteries) that pretty much always come along too.
01-26-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Norm, your posts are almost persuasive enough to get me to Algonquin Park I grew up on the edge of wilderness (on the Sunshine Coast in BC) and I spent too much time not of my own choosing roughing it outdoors. (We even had to pass an overnight wilderness survival test as part of our 7th grade curriculum.) So when I grew up got to choose how to spend my time, I ran away from the great outdoors. Mr frogoutofwater, on the other hand, grew up in Toronto but spent his summers in the Rockies (and loved it). Each summer, he alternates between a climbing trip to the Rockies and a trip to Algonquin Park with his family. I stay behind and enjoy city life.

But now you've got me thinking that maybe I need a guided photo tour in Algonquin Park one of these days - but only if your dogs come with us
01-26-2016, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Read your last couple posts on this thread, Norm. I've got the same Swiss Army knife as you, always in my pocket. For a compass I would suggest not an engineering compass which you show there, a proper compass is a lot easier to use. I use a Suunto MC-2 for my compass, which is quite a nice one and the mirror could be used as a signal mirror if needed. Also always have spare batteries for the headlight/torch in a waterproof container. A small (waterproof) container of around 20 strike anywhere matches are also with that kit of basic stuff. Learning to read a topographical map is a great valuable skill so you can navigate from the middle of nowhere with just a map and compass. Don't forget about declination when navigating. A small radio or a spot device is a also a good tool for emergencies, make sure you know how to use them. Learning survival skills like Norm suggested is also a great idea, I've learnt a lot of stuff I hope I never need to use including first aid. Always make sure you have a basic first aid kit - that's another post altogether. As Norm said a knife isn't always better as it is bigger, a nice 4-6 inch blade will be a lot more useful than a machete. Hmm what else? I'm not sure. All of Norm's advice is good. Norm, have you ever had a canoe flip loaded with gear?
The dogs flipped us once at a difficult put in right in front of a pretty heavy duty rapid. We got close to shore and both border collies tried to exit at the same time, jumping off the gunwale and swamping the boat. Then my 70 year old friend Enid came rushing over to help, fell in ,and I had to rescue her before rescuing my gear. Everything held up pretty good. We did lose my 1.5 litre water bottle that was loose in the boat.

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I have a small 2L dry bag I use when my camera comes along rafting/kayaking or when I backpack. I put a couple of camera bag pads in it to keeps things from knocking together and can store a body and a few small to medium lenses in it. Usually that is plenty for the amount of gear I'm willing to carry in these kinds of conditions.

My knife of choice in the backcountry is a classic Leatherman which is also handy for fixing stuff like bindings or my stove. I also have fire starter, compass, first aid, headlamp (and batteries) that pretty much always come along too.
I have a small unitool I take when we take stoves or fishing rods kind of like a leatherman. FIrestarter is always an excellent idea. We take enough for two fires a day.

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Norm, your posts are almost persuasive enough to get me to Algonquin Park I grew up on the edge of wilderness (on the Sunshine Coast in BC) and I spent too much time not of my own choosing roughing it outdoors. (We even had to pass an overnight wilderness survival test as part of our 7th grade curriculum.) So when I grew up got to choose how to spend my time, I ran away from the great outdoors. Mr frogoutofwater, on the other hand, grew up in Toronto but spent his summers in the Rockies (and loved it). Each summer, he alternates between a climbing trip to the Rockies and a trip to Algonquin Park with his family. I stay behind and enjoy city life.

But now you've got me thinking that maybe I need a guided photo tour in Algonquin Park one of these days - but only if your dogs come with us
I was the opposite, I got my first real outdoor, survival in the bush when I was 30, I've been at least two weeks in the wilds, every year since then. last year I was only able to get my two weeks aided with pain killers, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited by normhead; 01-28-2016 at 02:02 PM.
01-26-2016, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #74
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For years, I've been trying to form a Reclusive Photographer Association. No one ever turns up to meetings.
I keep trying to form one here too. Trouble is I keep forgetting to tell people where the meetings are. Sometimes I get the sneaking suspicion that I might be subconsciously forgetting on purpose though.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I note that the OP is living in Northern New Jersey, and that some of the comments in response assume that the legal system and laws that obtain in the place of residence of those responding apply universally. Bear spray may be illegal in NJ, and where I live you don't need advance permission to photograph in cemetaries (unless the property is posted with signs prohibiting trespassing). I'm not an attorney in NJ, so I'm not really clear about the rules that apply there, but I know they require their citizens to be defenseless (strict weapons control laws). So my advice is, if you're going to stay in the People's Democratic Republic of New Jersey, avoid bad areas and times, because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. And if you go to South Jersey (to use the local slang, and not intending to disparage the "real" Jersey), stay in your car and keep the windows rolled up.
Not that I'm in any way advocating it, but personally I couldn't care less what the law would say if my life would be at stake. I always have my mini tear gas (illegal here, but the markings have long since worn off) and mini pepper spray and a smallish folding knife on me at all times - not just in known 'iffy' photography situations. When I was in Ohio (a veritable police-state), I was 'caught' several times walking through parks after hours (sometimes unknowingly, and one time completely lost even though there were dirt trails) - and every time they would drive me out of the park then give me back my 'tools'. No tickets or anything - everything remained very polite & civilized. I was always completely upfront about letting them know I had them (well, not volunteering that one of the mini-canisters happened to be tear-gas instead of pepper spray ), making sure I kinda raised my hands so they knew I wasn't trying to be any sort of threat. So I think as long as everything seems 'legit' and you're completely upfront about everything, that they would be more likely to look the other way. Again - not advocating it, but if your life would be at stake I personally would rather get a ticket than get killed. Of course there'd be irony if it was by my own knife. Fortunately I've never had to use them to fend off an attack, and I hope to never use them - save for using the knife as a tool (i.e. to open bubble-wrap packaging).

I keep my gear outside the tent, in the secure, waterproof, shocckproof case. I don't need the camera in the tent and there isn't a lot of room in portable tents, so it shouldn't be there.
Yikes! I don't think I could do that, myself. I would think having at least MOST of that gear right in my tent would act as sort of a security blanket, and be comforting. Then again, I've never slept in a tent either.
01-27-2016, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hoggy Quote
Then again, I've never slept in a tent either.
You're missing out on something...