Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #16
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife is a photo documentarian.

When the Q/02 kits were in liquidation a couple years for $200 I bought one for my wife to make images for her blog. For a long time she was a delighted Q user; then she upgraded from an iPhone4 to an iPhone6. I asked last night if she still uses her camera and if not could I have it back? She replied, "Rarely and No - because when I need it I have it but for most things my phone and Instagram do what I want."

I pointed out that half the images on her blog are scans of 4x6 prints made when we were young - how will our kids have access to her phone shots (for that matter to her Q shots) and she said, "I'll be dead."

01-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My wife is a photo documentarian.

When the Q/02 kits were in liquidation a couple years for $200 I bought one for my wife to make images for her blog. For a long time she was a delighted Q user; then she upgraded from an iPhone4 to an iPhone6. I asked last night if she still uses her camera and if not could I have it back? She replied, "Rarely and No - because when I need it I have it but for most things my phone and Instagram do what I want."

I pointed out that half the images on her blog are scans of 4x6 prints made when we were young - how will our kids have access to her phone shots (for that matter to her Q shots) and she said, "I'll be dead."
Right now we are really getting into having older images turned into books, just for that reason. Pre 2008, I've lost 95% of my photos due to various mishaps and storage catastrophes.
01-22-2016, 08:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Last spring I attended my son's elementary school concert. I'm a bit older than the average dad in the audience, but I was still stunned to see what I saw. I counted only three actual cameras in use in the audience: my own K-01, another DSLR (probably a Rebel with kit lens), and what looked like a bridge compact. That was it, among a couple hundred parents. Everyone else was holding up their phone, or tablet, to take photos and video clips of their kids on stage.
That represents a massive sea change in the photo industry, because I'll bet you if you attended the same concert five years ago, there would be lots and lots more DSLRs, compacts, and HD video cameras being used.
Now, I'll bet among those parents last spring, quite a few would have had real cameras, but left them at home. And if they can't be bothered to bring the DSLR out to their kid's concert, they aren't likely customers for the next model.
I don't think the question these days is really whether the mirrorless will triumph over the DSLR - unless you count an iphone as a mirrorless.
But I bet all of those camera phone and iPad photos taken by all those moms and dads were on the web before you got home that evening. That is what the average person wants: post to Facebook, Instagram, etc. and then keep the photo on their phone to show folks. Even my 80 year old brother-in-law whipped out his phone to show me some snaps while we were at lunch a few weeks ago. Smart phone cameras are the Brownie Hawkeyes of today.

And if you don't think phone cameras are going to continue to improve, wrap your head around this: Apple has over 800 engineers who do nothing but design (redesign, refine, ...) the camera that is in their iPhone. I wonder how many engineers Pentax has designing all of their cameras.
01-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #19
mee
Pentaxian

what a world. A nice guy who is (I think) stationed overseas reads a post on a webforum, emails management - and actually MAKES THEM AWARE THEY'VE LOST A CUSTOMER because the salesman quit.
My thoughts exactly.

It is wonderful that support is listening to us when we contact them. Yet I wonder why these sort of issues aren't being caught before they become an issue? I mean why doesn't Ricoh have dedicated employees handling issues such as this? Where their only job is to communicate with Pentax retailers and ensure their issues are being met and supply lines are flowing properly... that seems win-win for both the retailer and the manufacturer. Perhaps win-win-win (for the customer too).

01-23-2016, 04:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
My thoughts exactly.

It is wonderful that support is listening to us when we contact them. Yet I wonder why these sort of issues aren't being caught before they become an issue? I mean why doesn't Ricoh have dedicated employees handling issues such as this? Where their only job is to communicate with Pentax retailers and ensure their issues are being met and supply lines are flowing properly... that seems win-win for both the retailer and the manufacturer. Perhaps win-win-win (for the customer too).
I think Pentax USA is fairly ineffectual. They are small, probably understaffed and give most of their support to Adorama and B and H and a few big online sellers like them.

It is a little sad, because while camera stores are gradually becoming extinct (I haven't been in one in ten years), it does seem as though large urban areas like Houston should be able to support one and having a presence in such a place can only be beneficial to the brand.

As to the whole "smart phones killed the SLR" thing, I think it is over blown. SLRs killed the SLR. That is to say, most people who purchased an SLR in the past still have it and still break it out for situations where they think they will need it -- low light situations or their kids soccer game -- and yes, they do use their camera phones for every day snap shots. But if you have a three year old SLR, there is no particular reason that you should buy a new one -- your old one probably takes as good photos as a new one maybe without a tilty screen or wi fi or quite as fast frames per second.

It used to be that people would upgrade their SLR every eighteen months, but I wouldn't be surprised if that has spaced out to every five or six years.
01-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't say I'm surprised. I've only been to HCE a few times but their sales people have either an inherent bias or are trained to push Canon, Canon, Canon. (Notice lack of Nikon.) First, they had the Pentax gear stuffed in an awkward corner where no one is generally stationed. Every time I've stood at the counter while someone has asked "What would be a good camera for me?" the sales rep has reached solely for a Canon model, usually the 70D. No comparison of models, no Nikon, just the 70D. I suspect Canon gives a bonus or something for moving so many units or the 70D just has big profit margin on it but that's how it goes.

As pointed out, camera stores themselves are becoming a thing of the past simply because their prices are so much higher. That 70D HCE is pushing sells for $1299 in store. You can find it online $300 less than that.
01-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

I asked the folks at McClanahan's Camera in Beautiful Downtown Warrenton, Va. why they don't carry Pentax; they said that there's no profit in it because of the way Ricoh structures its distributor network and reduces prices after the dealer's bought product (without rebates to the dealers who then can't sell the product because of cheaper availability elsewhere).
01-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #23
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I asked the folks at McClanahan's Camera in Beautiful Downtown Warrenton, Va. why they don't carry Pentax; they said that there's no profit in it because of the way Ricoh structures its distributor network and reduces prices after the dealer's bought product (without rebates to the dealers who then can't sell the product because of cheaper availability elsewhere).
This was probably historically true, especially with Hoya. Supposedly Ricoh tried to sell product at a fair introductory price and hold it there but their reputation is embedded in the Dealer community. Dealers just don't trust them. Everyone wants to be treated like the big internet Dealers but Ricoh can't risk their ire. Apparently they've had a pretty hard time getting in more than just a few stores.

Not that their pricing strategy isn't rational for a small player.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-23-2016 at 06:03 PM.
01-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #24
mee
Pentaxian

This was probably historically true, especially with Hoya. Supposedly Ricoh tried to sell product at a fair introductory price and hold it there but their reputation is embedded in the Dealer community. Dealers just don't trust them. Everyone wants to be treated like the big internet Dealers but Ricoh can't risk their ire. Apparently they've had a pretty hard time getting in more than just a few stores.

Not that their pricing strategy isn't rational for a small player.
That part of business can be rather delicate it seems..

Of course if this FF body and the new lenses are a big hit, maybe it will be more like the 645Z and Ricoh will have trouble keeping up with demand? That, it seems, would be more advantage to Ricoh over the B&M dealers...
01-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #25
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That part of business can be rather delicate it seems..

Of course if this FF body and the new lenses are a big hit, maybe it will be more like the 645Z and Ricoh will have trouble keeping up with demand? That, it seems, would be more advantage to Ricoh over the B&M dealers...
A few dealers have stocked K-3Ii, a Z and some lenses due to walk-in demand. K-1 would just add the the pain. My dealer is positively schizoid about Pentax.