Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ND Filter choice

Looking for a 10 stop ND filter and so far have came up with Breakthrough Photography X3 as my choice. My others are B&W, and Singh-Ray all are on the upper end and really more than what i would like to pay, if anyone is using one of these or another brand please give your thoughts.
All my other filters are B&W and have had good luck, but I have read from several posts that the B&W ND-MRC 110 has a harsh red color cast but is sharp.Singh-Ray overall very good but very pricey.
As the filter gets darker the problems are compounding and my reason for looking at these choices, but would appreciate any ideas!

Thank You

Brian

01-29-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Hoya 400ndx and it is OK, some red cast in certain light. I think any of these 9 - 10 stop filters are pushing the envelope so it is hard to get it right at a reasonable cost.
01-29-2016, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Haida ND1000. Much cheaper than the B+W or Lee versions, but has been tested to be on the exact same level in terms of optical performance numerous times:

Neutral Density Filters: Are Haida Filters as good as B+W? | FLOWTOGRAPHY BERLIN TEXT

ND-Filter review: Lee Big Stopper / Formatt Hitech ProStop IRND / Haida – Achim Sieger FINE ART Landscape & Nature PHOTOGRAPHY

Real Life Review of Haida ND Filter

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 01-29-2016 at 01:44 PM.
01-29-2016, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have been looking at ND filters. I currently have a Hoya 3 stop with a 49mm thread, but none for my larger diameter lens. I too settled on the Breakthrough Photography X3, ordered the six stop 77mm ND filter which will fit my 70-200 lens. I also ordered some step up lens rings to fit 49mm, 55mm, and 62mm lens to mount the 77mm ND filter on those. Since I was spending money, I also ordered a Hoya 77mm CPL to go with it.
It's suppose to arrive next Tuesday, should have a report by the end of the week.

02-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, Still shopping Wingincamera looking forward to that report. Went out this weekend thought I would try the old welders glass trick should have saved some images they were really bad! Could have converted into B/W but had crazy light streaks of purple and really harsh green cast, images other than that looked really good,river and clouds looked really nice with long exposure.
Thank you for all the feedback!

Brian
02-10-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I received my Breakthrough 6 stop ND filter and had a chance to try it out. These were taken on a bright, sunny afternoon down by the waterfront in Tacoma. The lens used was the 18-135mm, not my first choice. I needed about 18-20mm and was going to use my DL20-40, but when I ordered step up rings I didn't order a 55mm ring, but I did have the 62 to 77 ring.
The first one was taken with a PL filter only. The second one was with the 6 stop ND filter. The last one was also with the Breakthrough 6 stop filter, at 88mm using the same 18-135 lens. All the photos were processed the same in LR, with slight exposure settings for the last ones at the different focal lengths.
I also tried some shots using the 6 stop & Interval composite mode but didn't notice much difference. I could be doing somethng wrong with the Interval composite shooting. I do like the results with the Breakthrough and the pictures were just as sharp with or without it. In case some of the pictures don't show, the whole album can be seen here: Zenfolio | Will Edwards | Tacoma waterfront and lens ND filter test

02-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you post the camera settings for those? Curious about the shutter speed on these.
02-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Can you post the camera settings for those? Curious about the shutter speed on these.
They're in the images. If you use Firefox, you can install Exify and when the images are cursored over, their exif data shows up at the bottom of the image.

shutter speed (in order, ISO 100, f/13):

1/125s
1/2s
1/4s

---------- Post added 02-10-16 at 09:37 PM ----------

btw there is a recent review on fstoppers of ndf where they picked Breakthrough the winner. I can see why. There is minimal color casting and seemingly no vignetting.

I want the 82mm 10 stop x3 variant but its close to 200 dollars! I figure 82mm since I can use step up rings to use it on all my APS-C lenses (77mm to 52mm) and then it will fit the Pentax 24-70mm f/2.8 lens should I switch to FF some day (uses 82mm filters).

The results though really inspire me.. fun way to slow down time to smooth clouds and water. Clean look. Also interesting way to remove people from images provided they're constantly moving and your shutter time is long enough.

Last edited by mee; 02-10-2016 at 08:38 PM.
02-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very good thread, I have been considering a 6 or 10 stop ND filter. I'd be willing to try a Haida filter with those kind of prices. Good info, thanks.
02-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
It great to see those images from the Breakthrough ND filters look great to me! Thanks
02-11-2016, 12:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I received my Breakthrough 6 stop ND filter and had a chance to try it out. These were taken on a bright, sunny afternoon down by the waterfront in Tacoma.
Nice results. Never heard of Breakthrough. Something to remember...
tnx
02-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Concerning the three photos I posted, two using the Breakthrough 6 stop ND filter. I did not correct any color cast in post. In LR I did slight sharpening, adjusted exposure -.24, hightlights -26, shadows 0, Whites +31, blacks -14, clarity +43, vibrance +12 and enabled lens profile corrections. I did not stack the PL & ND, maybe I should have tried that.

If you checked the web site link, the first five all had these correctons. The fifth one at 88mm had slightly different adjustment in exposures, and the 6 stop filter was used. The last two photos with Mt Rainier were different, only PL used.
02-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They're in the images. If you use Firefox, you can install Exify and when the images are cursored over, their exif data shows up at the bottom of the image.
Mee, thanks! That's a great Add-on for Firefox, just installed it!
02-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got in on the Breakthrough Technology Kickstarter for their new CPL. I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the construction. When it comes time to look for an ND filter, I will definitely give them a look.
02-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Mee, thanks! That's a great Add-on for Firefox, just installed it!
You're quite welcome. It comes in very handy, I find. Check news sites too.. sometimes you can pull exif data off of those.. can be interesting.