Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 10:09 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I agree, the sales staff needs to be better educated. Unfortunately they would rather sell the $2000 camera rather than a $1000 camera. They get a better commission. Then you have these salesmen that will push things just to make a better commission.for instance when buying an inkjet printer, from an unnamed office supply store, While going to the checkout, I was approached by a employee telling me I needed to buy a special, Goldplated USB cable, That was very expensive, so I wouldn't burn up my new printer. Knowing that this printer was a self powered device, and as such would only need about 25 mA for the communication port, I gave him a very mean and dirty look. he knew, That I knew he was lying to me. he turned and took off running. I know this employee was just doing what he was told. And that's what makes me so mad about the situation. When a company tells an employee to lie about a product, There is just no excuse for that.

by the way, I've had the printer for over three years, and it hasn't burned up yet.

So you have 3 situations. The employee may not know much about that particular item. The employee wants to sell the most expensive items and make the best commission. Or the employee was told to push certain items more than others. that's one of the best things about the Internet, you don't have to worry about stupid employees trying to sell you something that you don't want or don't need. And I guarantee you that they're not gonna put in writing, on the Internet that if you don't use this special goldplated USB cable, you'll burn up your printer. They would have too many lawsuits because of it.

Unfortunately, unless Pentax starts a more aggressive advertising campaign, they are going to remain an obscure camera system. if Pentax wants to sell cameras, they need to advertise a little better. Offer up their cameras as a prize on one or more of the TV game shows. That might give them the best bang for the advertising buck. Maybe create some good photographic videos and post them on YouTube. Good instructional information Videos, aimed at the hobbyist and professionals alike. as it stands, it seems like they are relying on word-of-mouth as their advertisement. this is not a very efficient means of advertisement. Not even when the Internet is used.

02-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only use Bricks and Mortar stores as a conduit for ordering items from manufactures they carry. Doesn't mater if its camera gear or audio equipment.

I do my research online and finalize the item I want. Then I go to my local dealer and ask if they have it in stock or can they special order it. A special order only requires a deposit and you pay the rest on pickup. You get the item you want and still have the local support that you don't get from an out of country online store, where you would have to ship it back.

Also there is no bickering with the sales staff, as you are not asking for their opinion.

Phil.
02-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
if Pentax wants to sell cameras, they need to advertise a little better. Offer up their cameras as a prize on one or more of the TV game shows.
I did see the K-50 on the Shopping Channel on cable TV here in Canada a couple of weeks ago.

It's still there: Pentax K-50 DSLR (blue, black, pink or red) with 18-55mm lens, AF200 Flash, Battery Holder & 8GB SD Card for $729.99 CAD + shipping: $10.97 CAD
https://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Pentax/DSLR/Pentax-K50-DSLR-with-1855mm-l...472,E:11926281

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 02-01-2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Additional info
02-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yep, we need to be proactive I belong to a little camera club there are 2 of us with Pentax cameras. The other members are always amazed at what my K5iis will do and my choice of lens and of coarse the cost. Unfortunately the "camera stores" won't represent our line to their best ability or any ability the mfg needs to provide the incentive to the few camera stores we have. or we will all be buying our gadgets on line then how will any one know of our Pentax cameras. Good to here from every one may one day up grade to the FF but for know the K5iis is just great have shot over 10k images won a couple of local contests so all is good north of highway 7.

02-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #20
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
Unfortunately the "camera stores" won't represent our line to their best ability or any ability the mfg needs to provide the incentive to the few camera stores we have.
As I said in an earlier post, Downtown Camera on Queen St in Toronto, has most, if not all, of the Pentax line in stock. I have been dealing with them since 1975 though three separate owners, and Pentax has always been well represented. And their salesmen are knowledgeable about the product. You can always email them to see if the specific item you want is in stock at that particular moment.
02-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #21
Forum Member

Good job on their part
02-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
As I said in an earlier post, Downtown Camera on Queen St in Toronto, has most, if not all, of the Pentax line in stock. I have been dealing with them since 1975 though three separate owners, and Pentax has always been well represented. And their salesmen are knowledgeable about the product. You can always email them to see if the specific item you want is in stock at that particular moment.
A quick check of 20 of the 96 Pentax items on their website does indeed suggest that they have more than 50% of those items in stock (but not DFA150-450mm, DA*60-250mm, DA*16-50mm, HD 1.4x Rear Converter, or O-GPS1). That's impressive and probably better than any other store in Canada except possibly The Camera Store in Calgary. In keeping with other Canadian stores, everything is listed at full Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.
02-10-2016, 06:44 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree with you re Downtown Camera. They are my go to store for Pentax Gear they didn't have the Tamron 70-200 which I got from Amazon in 4 days just b4 Christmas. It seems like a great lens addition to my bucket of tricks. Back to Pentax wish they were more marketing orientated, Looking forward to hearing about their latest gear.

02-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #24
PDL
Pentaxian

I would imagine that people working behind a camera counter get a commission on sales. Here is the question:

If you were working on commission, would you "push" lower priced, quality items or high priced quality items?

If you need to feed your family, you push the high priced items due to the fact that you get more money out of the sales. Simple as that. If a store is not selling enough of a given brand, you tend to put it on the back shelf, stuck away in the corner. As for the staff not knowing enough about the product line, just ask your self if you would get all the information you need if you know that selling this will result in a smaller paycheck.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
02-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

At one time I had about 7 camera stores, in my burg on the Canadian prairies, I could buy Pentax equipment from, usually from stock. Now, there's only a smattering of Pentax stuff at camera stores out here. I can order in anything I want, but as others have said, I need to go by faith ...rather than checking the equipment out with my own eye.

Yep, here too it's as much about everything being Canikon, although there is some stuff from Sony and Fuji available, to see in person.

But on the other hand, Henry's out here, has gone in the past 5 years, from having 3 stores to now just having one. Another local camera store franchise has shut two camera stores in the prairies in the past couple of years and now according to newspaper reports is in receivership. There are two other places available and these are the stores that have the aforementioned Pentax 'smattering' of equipment.

So I have essentially not patronized the two franchises that essentially cut out Pentax and go to the two other stores that do. My rationale is simple, why order in specially and/or support, companies that don't carry my favoured brand, when there are a couple of companies that at least have a Pnetax presence, no matter how small.

One last comment. I do fear that in the 5-10 year future, we may not have any specialized camera stores to choose...even Canikon from, in medium sized cities. I've never seen two stores close and another company go into receivership in the local camera industry as I have witnessed in the past 18 months as I have here. Word is, that the cell phone camera, is the item that is nailing the coffin shut.
01-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #26
Forum Member

I know this is an older thread and not too sure if this will find you...I am relatively close to you in a little town called Gooderham...I was first steered towards Pentax by my favorite camera store...James Pauk Photography in Orillia. They only pushed Pentax to me pointing out their build materials and ease of menu. I had a customer that was involved in Pentax Canada and he hooked me up with a refurbished K10d which just amazed me. I have since moved up to a K3ii having missed out on buying the K5ii new...the used ones were almost the price of the new K3's. I wanted the 16mp over the 24mp but had left it too long.
I too find it easier to deal online though it is nice to hold something in your hand first. Living in cottage country makes for extra driving. I seem to be the only Pentax user in our club in Haliburton with no intentions of changing. If you have any service issues check with the store in Orillia or contact me as I still have my Pentax contact and his voice can still be heard
01-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

hands on experience

the only way I have discovered to have a " hands on " experience with Pentax equipment is if you have access to one of the companies that rent such equipment

in the US there is a couple

LensRental.com

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

which is the one I have had personal experience with

and Borrowlenses.com

Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica and Pentax

I have no idea if they would rent equipment to people outside of the US

and of course, it is not free

unfortunately those are the facts of life in the Pentax world.

my brick and mortar store only has used Pentax equipment and very little of that

Wolfe's Camera Shop

www.wolfes.com