Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Studio photographer using kit lens?

What kind of gear do studio photographers regularly use?

I recently accompanied a family member to a studio and saw the photographer was using the Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens.

01-31-2016, 07:18 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Studio photography is about control of lighting, and kit lenses just aren't as bad as they used to be.
01-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Studio photography is about control of lighting, and kit lenses just aren't as bad as they used to be.
Kit lenses tend to be just fine in their sweet spot, and progressively worse as you push the limits. Studio photography, with controlled lighting can be shot at an f stop that allows you to shoot to the advantage of the lens.

Of course 'studio' can mean a lot of things. I shoot a lot of food in the studio and often use f/8 to f/11. I don't use the kit lens, but honestly I'm sure I could get good results with it. My wife shoots more food than I do and uses the 18-135 for most of her work. The 18-135 is maybe a step up, but still considered I think a kit lens.
01-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
What kind of gear do studio photographers regularly use?

I recently accompanied a family member to a studio and saw the photographer was using the Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens.
Kit lenses are highly underrated and the true skill of a studio photographer has much more to do with lighting and how good they are in terms of rapport with their subjects, posing, etc.

With that said, I would have a hard time respecting or trusting a studio photographer that didn't upgrade their kit lens. Also, what kind of Nikon comes with an 18-55mm? D50, D3300, D5300, and maybe the D7100? I would expect a studio photographer if not shooting FF, to at least have a D300s or D7200, and certainly to get the most out of a lower model to be using a better zoom or a prime.

Full disclosure: When I was a working in Hollywood, I was mostly solely shooting primes with two Nikon F3HP. But in a sound blimp (silencer) I was using a Nikon N2000, an all plastic entry level manual focus SLR. The camera shop laughed that I would even consider shooting with it daily next to my pro gear. They said it would fail within 6 months under pro conditions due to all the plastic construction. Within a year, one F3HP had to be repaired under warranty, but that cheap N2000 has held up for 30 years. Would I flash it around in the studio while commanding top dollar? NEVER. Unfortunately the producers and clients that pay you often based their opinion about you on appearances. Your shoes, your hair style, your accent, your name brand camera....so instead of just changing the bias, I learned to give them the appearance of what they expected.

01-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I did not mean my question to be offensive or judging. I was simply curious because I honestly expected them to be using pro gear. I mean, I'm a complete newbie and I have a DA* 16-50.

They did have a bunch of strobe lights etc so I guess lightning is indeed king.

I didn't register the camera model but it's physical size was smaller than my K50.
01-31-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Image quality should be okay with a modern kit lens stopped down for studio strobes, as long as its a good copy. Shooting at f8-f10 and viewed at typical print or screen sizes, you would probably have a hard time telling the difference between a good kits lens and a Canon L lens. The lighting, posing, and composition will be what makes the photo.

But I think a portrait photographer using nothing longer than an 18-55mm lens would be rather suspect, as the wide end of that lens will be useless in the typical studio, and the long end will be shortish for tight head shots. You could still get nice shots, but it would feel cramped to me. Something more in the 24-75mm range would be much more useful. I mostly use my Tamron 28-75mm when shooting in the studio, and the range is perfect. Even my Sigma 50-150mm will see studio duty sometimes, as well as my Sigma 85mm.
01-31-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
I did not mean my question to be offensive or judging. I was simply curious because I honestly expected them to be using pro gear. I mean, I'm a complete newbie and I have a DA* 16-50.
One would think so. A few years ago my wife and I went on a cruise. They have 'pro' photographers stationed all about the ship with lighting and backgrounds and radio triggers and all the goodies. At the time I had just started to get back into photography after a 20 year absence. I was very surprised to find them using low end Nikons (I forget the model at that time) and an 18-55 lens that looked not much different from the k-x and DA L 18-55 I was carrying. They produced quite good images because they were in a controlled environment with controlled and tested lighting. Nothing more than they had was needed, so why spend money on anything else.

When you are shooting for money, spending more than you need to do the job means money out of your pocket. I think it also makes a difference what kind of studio. The ones in the mall stores (or on ships) are going to be using the cheapest gear they can get away with. A photographer running their own studio and hoping to get higher end work, (and most likely with a love of photography and gear) will generally have better lenses and bodies if they can afford them.

01-31-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Kit lenses tend to be just fine in their sweet spot, and progressively worse as you push the limits. Studio photography, with controlled lighting can be shot at an f stop that allows you to shoot to the advantage of the lens.
This and this. The kit lens is often pretty good at f/8. Since you have total control of lights, you can shoot at f/8 and ISO100. Almost every modern lens will do well with those settings.
01-31-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To be honest - a lens has to be truly abysmal to perform poorly in the studio. Most studio photographers such as myself use apertures of f/8 as a starting point as images shot in the controlled confines of a photography studio aren't subject to as many variables as photographs taken under available lighting conditions.
02-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

shooting people is shooting centered objects, and most lenses don't fail in the center, they fail on the sides and corners.
02-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Are 'studio photographers' all supposed to be aspiring Vogue shooters rather than someone just making a living?
02-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Are 'studio photographers' all supposed to be aspiring Vogue shooters rather than someone just making a living?
Well, one does get accustomed to seeing professionals using professional-quality tools. In the long run, the superior tools usually pay for themselves.

As I said above, 18-55mm is kind of an awkward range in a portrait studio. Much of the wide end is largely useless, and the long end is a bit short for tight head shots or quasi-macro shots. But I suppose if a working photographer can't afford $200-$300 for at least something like a Tamron 28-75mm, then I the 18-55mm will work. Personally, I would just question how passionate and knowledgeable a photographer is who only owns the kits lens, but the results are the important thing.
02-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Well, one does get accustomed to seeing professionals using professional-quality tools
Isn't this the elevation of a 'professional photographer' to an exalted, but not necessarily well deserved, position in the ranks of photographers?
02-01-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Isn't this the elevation of a 'professional photographer' to an exalted, but not necessarily well deserved, position in the ranks of photographers?
Sure, some people like to puff themselves up as a self-designated "professional photographer". And photography may even be their profession. But the term is used way too liberally, in my opinion. Kind of like if the guy who drives the UPS truck calls himself a "professional driver".

But in my mind, a professional photographer is somebody who earns their living doing photography AND has perfected their talent through a lot of hard work, study and practice, to the point that people are willing to pay them a premium for their work. In most cases, this will be somebody who has been through numerous camera bodies and lenses, and is discriminating in their choice of equipment. And it follows that it is very unlikely that they will be seen using an entry-level camera and a kit lens as their chosen tools when they're working. And they're probably not going to be working part-time at the Target photography studio.

However, somebody still could be a talented portrait photographer working at a shopping-center studio, and they could very well be using the store's inexpensive cameras and lenses, rather than their personal gear. Doesn't take anything away from them being a good photographer. But this isn't where I would expect to find the best photographers.

But like I said up above, the most important thing is the results. And in the typical family portrait studio, being good with babies and little kids is probably more important than having a graduate degree from a fine arts school.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 02-01-2016 at 06:43 PM.
02-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
most lenses don't fail in the center, they fail on the sides and corners.
Especially the Sigma 30mmm f/1.4 EX...

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
somebody still could be a talented portrait photographer working at a shopping-center studio, and they could very well be using the store's inexpensive cameras and lenses, rather than their personal gear. Doesn't take anything away from them as being a good photographer. But this isn't where I would expect to find the best photographers.
Coincidentally, this is also the place where I would expect to find a photographer who thoroughly hates their job. If purgatory is mall portraiture photography, then Santa photography is a fully populated lion pit....I couldn't imagine a worse hell than that. Being good with babies and kids has very little to do with being a good photographer.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-01-2016 at 05:57 PM.