Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

How long did it take to break your camera gear? A survey

Hi i just wanted to share and learn from real world experience of other users regarding reliability of our cameras. Here's my experience:

1. Pentax k-30, exposure meter gave up after 30k actuations. Repaired successfully at service center for less than $100.
2. Pentax AF540fgz I, malfunction after 2 years, damaged after some light rain. Out of warranty. Repair not possible in our country.
3. Pentax AF201fg. Malfunction after 1 month. Replaced under warranty.

I never had any problems with my pentax lenses.

02-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So far, I've not broken any of my camera gear.
02-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ditto - no breaks, leaks or squeaks here....
02-01-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

I once put my thumb through the shutter of my ME Super - it was 30-odd years old. That is the only camera I have ever broken.

02-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john.margetts Quote
I once put my thumb through the shutter of my ME Super - it was 30-odd years old. That is the only camera I have ever broken.
no breaks yet but....I did customize my K-3 with a nice dent...adds character
02-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't believe I broke it, but my FA 31 started to fall apart a few weeks after I got it (second hand). Works like a charm after I sent it off to get the focus ring screwed back in place. It appears to be a known issue with the FA Limiteds.

Nothing else damaged.
02-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

The little spring on the battery door of my K10D broke. After 8 years.
02-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried, but so far have been unsuccessful in breaking any photo gear, with one exception! That exception was when I took delivery of a factory-fresh Zenitar fisheye from a "paid friend" in Russia. I was fortunate to do the initial mount on an easily replaceable film body and only after I removed the lens did I realize that one of its couplers had totally munged their mate on the body. It was a sad day since I had carried that Ricoh XR7 over many miles or trail and mountains in all sorts of conditions with nary a bit of trouble. With a sad heart, I bought a replacement on eBay and retired my old friend to the parts shelf

To finish the story, I was able to send the lens to my new "paid friend's" friend in Florida and got a replacement after an almost three month's wait while the lens (inexplicably) languished in Russian outbound customs. I was offered no compensation for the wasted camera.

Steve

(...love the Zenitar Fisheye though...)

02-01-2016, 11:42 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have tried, but so far have been unsuccessful in breaking any photo gear, with one exception!
Oops! I lied! I forgot the time when I was doing some mild tricks while snow skiing and did a faceplant with my black-body Ricoh Singlex TLS suspended from my neck. Unfortunately the strap was strong and both strap lugs sheared off at the point of attachment. The camera was still fully functional and I got a local shop to extract the lug remnants and graft replacements in place. I swear, there is not much that is tougher than a Singlex, except, perhaps a Topcon Super D.

Steve
02-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The little spring on the battery door of my K10D broke. After 8 years.
Those spring-loaded doors were one of favorite features when I still had my K10D. Were you able to secure a repair?

Steve
02-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Had the advance gear on a Spotmatic F break. I think we got it repaired by warranty as my wife knew the distributor through working at a camera store. Also a M42 extension bellows ripped simply by a cat or was it a dog walking over them. Still have them, still have not repaired them and do not have a camera for them. My wife's K10D stopped autofocusing when she dropped it on the hotel floor in Havana. It does work with the DC 18-50 but not any screw drive ones. Lost more than one lens cap.
02-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The older stuff was very difficult to break - in the end I had to drown my ME Super and drop my 67ii prism first onto a paving stone. Never did manage to break the 67. The rubber grips started falling off my SFXn and the wind motor developed a hernia after a few hundred films on the Z-1. I've not done much damage to the K10D or K3 yet, but my older 100mm macro (F) and 400mm f/5,6 (FA*) both have cracked aperture viewing windows. Oh yes, and the lens hood on the latter doesn't lock on properly. It's taken effort, but it is possible.
02-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No broken equipment here. My K-5 have taken about 15 000 actuations, with 90% of that divided between my 5 most used lenses. Some of the lenses have had a long and healthy life before I got it. My K200D did approximately 10 000 actuations, but I don't know how much the new owner used it or if it have failed.
02-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Advancer gear broke after putting 2 rolls through my mom's Praktica PLC3, after it had sat for 10 years.
Aperture actuator broke in my K-5II after 9 months and less than 10k actuations. Our service centre fixed it but failed to properly re-attach the leatherette. Then, 7 months later, the SR started acting up, and the camera spent the next 4 months sitting in a box getting serviced in France.
Hopefully, that's it for me
02-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nothing... yet... except for a compact camera: The tripod shoe was plastic so when I screwed in a tripod I screwed it through the plastic and scratched up internal wiring. I got my money back through warranty and have had a good try to solder these wires together; not worth it!