Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gear you take on a shoot?

I am venturing out tomorrow morning to scout some locations around my area. I am going to check out the state park down the road plus a few back roads in the country to find some great places to shoot some sunrises.

Since I live in Florida there are some great sunrises and sets. I live on the Gulf coast so it is important to me that I find an area that gives a good view of the east.

I figured I would be taking a folding chair, a cooler with water, maybe a power bar, my tripod and my camera bag (rather large) which has everything in it for a shoot.

((Also- those straps on the outside of my bag....what are they used for? At first I thought it was for a tripod but I am not sure. Thanks))

It sort of feels like I am taking too much with me but I think I would rather be prepared than wanting.

What do you take with you for a landscape shoot?

02-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have that bag! Mine is much more worn than yours though... I've converted mine to be my bag I take to work (I do have a camera with a few lenses in it too).

I don't think I'd want to have a lot of weight in that thing since the straps tend to come loose and instead of the bag being at my lower back like I prefer, it begins to be around my hips where it's not all that comfortable. So I'd go with a superwide, a long tele, and a macro. Probably a da12-24 (since I can put a polarizer on it and grad filters work well with it), DA55-300, and a DA35 macro. If there's a chance of rain or dust, I'd also bring the da16-85 or some other WR lens. If I knew there was going to be a lot of wildlife then I might bring the 60-250 with TC, but that's a bit of a commitment and I don't think I'd want to haul all this in the Ape case. If I would be doing an overnight and I wanted to do some astro stuff, I'd have a 14mm f2.8 with me and maybe the sigma 18-35 f1.8.

For accessories, I'd have a tripod, camera remote, lens brush, polarizing filter w/ step rings for all lenses, neutral grads and a holder, extra batteries, cards, my smart phone (for topo maps, depth of field charts, and exposure calculator), snacks, bug spray, sun block, rain cover, wind breaker, multi tool, a basic survival/ first aid kit, and lots of water.

To help carry a tripod, I bought a strap for it and I wear that over my shoulder. I also have a sling for my water bottle to keep more space in the bag.

Good luck! And bracket your shots if there's a lot of dynamic range!
02-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I carry EVERYTHING.

02-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Not necessarily the answer you seek but I do have a different perspective to think about.

One of the challenges I used to give myself was pick one camera and one lens only on a shoot. You'd be surprised much more creative you start becoming when you "limit" yourself.

Granted, I pass through the city every day so it was easier for me to find my daily challenge.

02-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heavenly Creation Quote
((Also- those straps on the outside of my bag....what are they used for? At first I thought it was for a tripod but I am not sure. Thanks))
Yes, those straps are intended for a small, light, traveler tripod.
02-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the insights.

I found out that my gear weighs a lot! lol uuuuggh!

I think I will be getting a tripod strap as it will be easier to lug everything around if I don't have to hand carry, and I might lighten my camera bag.

02-05-2016, 04:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heavenly Creation Quote
Gear you take on a shoot?
Most often this -

Last edited by wildman; 02-11-2016 at 09:11 AM.
02-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I may take 5 large camera bags and sturdy tripods in the car or I might put a lens case on my belt with two primes and the third prime on the camera on my shoulder. If your bag is too heavy get a smaller bag. Camera bags get filled up to their maximum, they have to as it is a scientific law 😊

Git either a smaller shoulder bag , a small sling bag or belt cases for when you want to travel light.