Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buying your first digital SLR (a blog post)

A lot of my friends have been asking me for advice on buying their digital SLRs. After a while, I thought I'd simply compile my advice and post it to my blog. Wanted to share with my fellow Pentaxians, and solicit feedback and/or other advice you have.

https://kamathzen.wordpress.com/2016/02/01/buying-your-first-digital-slr-dslr-camera/

(As you can see, I have been partial to Pentax )

02-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nicely done!
Better than mine I did back in august:
Choosing your first DSLR
02-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What, no love for mirrorless options?
02-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What, no love for a mirrorless options?
First DSLR not mirrorless

02-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
First DSLR not mirrorless
Sure, but the first *real* camera is what I read because it sounded like the audience/tone was the phone camera crowd wondering what the heck those other things are that people hold and have interchangeable lenses. In that context why would you ever be so narrow about the type of camera, I figured.
02-05-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

I liked it a lot. I liked how you keep everything neutral but at the same time you sneak in the Pentax brand, even listing it first when you list the brands etc
02-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I finally got a DSLR, a couple of years ago, I went with a used Pentax K110D. It's low on the Pentax DSLR ladder, but it does most of what I want and can use my old K-Mount film lenses. Six megapixels isn't stratospheric resolution, but it's fine for the size enlargements I am likely to want from those images.

02-05-2016, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
When I finally got a DSLR, a couple of years ago, I went with a used Pentax K110D
My first one was K10D. When K7 came along, I resisted upgrade, sold my K10D and bought a used K100D Super, and focused on learning photography ("Auto" mode doesn't solve everything!). I still remember K100D taking lot better pictures than my K10D.

---------- Post added 02-05-16 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Moropo Quote
I liked how you keep everything neutral but at the same time you sneak in the Pentax brand, even listing it first when you list the brands etc
Even advising friends, I ask them to consider Pentax. Not being biased, but to make a point that you don't need to buy a market-leader to take good pics. Plus, to share in my lens
02-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaman Quote
Even advising friends, I ask them to consider Pentax. Not being biased, but to make a point that you don't need to buy a market-leader to take good pics. Plus, to share in my lens
No doubt today's first-time buyers of a camera system can really save by purchasing used, second generation gear. Plenty of life in them from about any manufacture for the beginner. And I agree that's good advice. That's my first recommendation to those people too.

And I think it's safe to say anybody not knowing anything about DSLRs will also know next to nothing about the evolutionary branch of mirrorless camera systems. So a discussion about what DSLR to purchase without mentioning why you would want that over a mirrorless does not serve the reader well in acquiring knowledge in understanding of their choices and ultimately their purchasing decision, in my humble opinion. And now you mention having an agenda to push a brand and personal gain of accessing gear?
02-06-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well written blogpost. The subject is so broad and I wonder if anyone does consider all the aspects.
Most first-time dslr buyers I know buy it to show off (status). The use of the green button is far too prevalent unfortunately esp among newbies that have just the kit lens. Kit lenses are great if one knows how to use it optimally.

I constantly get asked why I use only primes or own so many different lenses or isn't it too much trouble to change lenses so often. The concept of Interchangeable Lens System is not so well understood - or so it seems. I think this is an area you should include in your blogpost.
02-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The one reason I didn't mention mirrorless cameras is because I don't have personal experience with them, although I think they are worth mentioning as an alternative. The question to those who have shot both is - if you had a mirrorless camera, would you ever buy a DSLR?
02-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I decided to buy my first DSLR, I read tons of such articles, and still it was confusing.

First, I would recommend stay away from purchasing used gear for someone just entering this dangerous path. It's important to go and play with different cameras, consult with salespersons, but NOT to buy anything under their pressure (I have to admit that Samsung guys were very good with advertizing) Buying new gear you get warranty and possibility to return if something is going wrong. Buying used gear may be stressful and disappointing for the total newbie.

Second, do own research online again and again understanding what exactly you want to achieve. Consider also size, weight, ergonomics, price of course. You will be lost in all technical aspects for sure, so join the forum, or ask around about that aspect. At the beginning it's always a problem to narrow the preferences because the answer usually is "I want better pictures from better camera".
Don't try to buy top gear investing thousands of dollars. If you buy Stradivari violin, it will not make you a great musician right away.

Third, it's good if you have friends or relatives with DSLR to help choosing the camera, or teach the basics. If not, you will be like me (first and second points)

Shooting auto is not a bad thing at very beginning. I would say that the way to start while reading the manual. If you want to save time and avoid lots of frustration, read, read, read the manual! Don't rush to shot like a pro. Understand your camera, it does take time.

Don't rush, explore your new passion, and enjoy.